[HowTo] Fix/Prevent A Corrupted XP Installation After Installing Leopard

=-Devin-=

23 posts in this topic

Solution Has Been Successfully Found!

Leopard DVD Disk Utility is linked to the cause of disk corruption.

What Happens? - Some people experience XP being corrupted (on another partition) after installing or attempting to install Leopard

What Causes It? - Leopard DVD Disk Utility

How? - We do not know the exact reason yet. It may be from the formatting of another partition.

How Can My XP Install Be Fixed? - Boot off the XP CD, and proceed as if you were installing XP, but it will ask if you would like to repair. Do that. It will delete some files and repair them.

How Can I Prevent It From Happening? - Use a Tiger CD to format, or any other utility that can make a HFS+ partition.

Is there a fixed version/working version of the Leopard Disk Utility? - Not that I know of, no.

Can I use the Disk Utility in Leopard? - Yes, just the DVD one corrupts XP for some reason.

------------------

If you cannot boot into XP, and see just a logo of XP, and nothing more, this may help:

Method 1) Set The Partition Active

Use a partitioning tool (CD, software, etc.) to set XP's partiton active if is not already.

This fixed my XP install once.

You will need to find your own way to get back to Leopard. (EX: A dual boot software (GRUB, Acronis OS Selector, etc.) or a Leopard DVD, or any other method that works.)

Method 2) Repair Windows XP

1) Boot An XP CD

2) Hit Enter to setup and Agree to the terms

3) XP should ask if you want to reapir an installation. Accept this, and hit enter on the XP partition listed.

4) The installer will reboot, and continue to reinstall system files. YOUR PERSONAL FILES ARE NOT BEING MODIFIED AT THIS TIME!

5) When it's done, you can boot XP. YAY!

Again, you will need to find your own way to get back to Leopard. (EX: A dual boot software (GRUB, Acronis OS Selector, etc.) or a Leopard DVD, or any other method that works.)

------------------

If you can get into XP, but get some errors, this may help: (Thanks r00ter!)

For those who can boot into XP but seem to run into very naggy "Windows has detected a corruption" errors, or tooltips regarding corruption that pop up from the taskbar - this will help.

Should you be receiving those messages:

1) Click START.

2) Click RUN.

3) Type in chkdsk and hit enter.

Let that program run. It is a three stage process that checks the drive in which Windows XP is installed for errors. This process can take around 15 minutes should something really be wrong. I hope that helps some of you!

------------------

Hope this helps anyone in need of support with this problem.

Questions, comments, or more solutions are strongly appreciated.

- Devin

MBR.

And no, i just insert the windows XP disk, hit enter, f8 to agree to terms, it asks if i want to repair that installation, i say yes, it repairs, and sets the partition active for me, and fixes it, and then done.

Pain in the butt to do everytime i mes up an installation. even if it would have worked, i have to do this anyway.

a suggestion from a friend. I haven't tried it myself (I do not have XP)

if you had xp installed and later you installed leopard. Darwin bootloader rewrites the MBR, right?

Now if you press F8 and want to enter XP, it either shows error, or stops working after the Windows logo.

To fix this, use a Windows 98 boot disk. use fixmbr. You are done.

Now you'll be able to boot XP from darwin boot loader.

well, i don't know. I have the XP cd and id fix mbr once i think, and changed nothing

see, it loads XP, but it gets to that point before the login area pops up. So a windows XP logo fades in, and stays there. It never loads up the users on my login screen

so i think it loads up XP ok, but something about XP was changed maybe. im not sure

At this point I'm scared to do it again, because I cant afford to lose my stuff when I have no external HDD to backup with, and no money to buy one.

I wonder if this problem is common?

And could it just be the fact I installed XP before Leopard?

but if i install another new install of mac os x on the mac HD i get, will it corrupt xp again? thats a problem. I dont want to do this over and over again, becuase if it will still corrupt, i can just use the one HDD i have.

but if i install another new install of mac os x on the mac HD i get, will it corrupt xp again? thats a problem. I dont want to do this over and over again, becuase if it will still corrupt, i can just use the one HDD i have.

I just spent the last week or 2 re-installing everything because my --untouched-- working Hackintosh install got corrupted after I installed Kalyway Leopard. Now, not saying it's the Kalyway disk, but I just don't trust Hackintosh on my current setup (Conroe 945g-dvi). I just about jumped ship and went totally XP over this mess!

I'm really curious if there are other people who are experiencing disk corruption with Leopard.... It didn't get my XP partition, but that could just be false hope - maybe XP doesn't detect it yet! I found out my drives were getting corrupted from Disk Utility on the Mac.. they would just get eaten up and couldn't repair. They were also GUID disks (though my 10.4.11 was on an MBR disk).

It's be nice to have Leopard, but well, all my software works under 10.4.11 at the moment, and I decided I didn't have time to play games this winter, so my dream of playing FP Shooters for 14 hours a day won't happen (to mife's unknwoning pleasure :-))

Oh well.. I'll just have to edit that video after all....

-Dan

UPDATE: OK, so I installed Tiger with no problems. So I figure, if Tiger can boot, why not install Leopard over top? So I did. Installed perfectly, sorta.

First, cannot boot without DVD. Thats OK, wont bother me to bad. I boot up, but its a login, nothing else. OK. Leopard works. But, no users are setup.

The user setup wizard didn't run.

So, the theory that Leopard disk utility messes with XP, so far, plausible.

So whats next?

I'm going to format the disk with a Tiger DVD, and install Leopard again, on a fresh install.

Well, I hope this all goes well.

I'll post my results when I finish, and if XP is OK after the install.

UPDATE 2: Solution Has Been Successfully Found!

Leopard Disk Utility is linked to the cause of disk corruption.

What Happens? - Some people experience XP being corrupted (on another partition) after installing or attempting to install Leopard

What Causes It? - Leopard DVD Disk Utility

How? - We do not know the exact reason yet. It may be from the formatting of another partition.

How Can My XP Install Be Fixed? - Boot off the XP CD, and proceed as if you were installing XP, but it will ask if you would like to repair. Do that. It will delete some files and repair them.

How Can I Prevent It From Happening? - Use a Tiger CD to format, or any other utility that can make a HFS+ partition.

Is there a fixed version/working version of the Leopard Disk Utility? - Not that I know of, no.

Hope this helps anyone in need of support with this problem.

Devin,

For those who can boot into XP but seem to run into very naggy "Windows has detected a corruption" errors, or tooltips regarding corruption that pop up from the taskbar - this will help.

Should you be receiving those messages:

1) Click START.

2) Click RUN.

3) Type in chkdsk and hit enter.

Let that program run. It is a three stage process that checks the drive in which Windows XP is installed for errors. This process can take around 15 minutes should something really be wrong. I hope that helps some of you!

Well, for this, I was talking about when you try to boot, it wont load the desktop, just load a windows XP logo that loads before the login screen and stop.

Corrupted system files are the reason it just stops.

I'll add that to the guide for people that can boot into XP, but get errors.

Thank you, r00ter!

• 1 month later...

Just a word of warning: My XP partition got corrupted by using Disk Utility IN Leopard. I had 3 partitions on the drive; one NTFS (Windows XP) one HFS+ (Leopard) and one FAT (Nothing). I erased the FAT partition to HFS+ using Disk Utility in Leopard and it killed my XP installation. Just a word of warning...

Just a word of warning: My XP partition got corrupted by using Disk Utility IN Leopard. I had 3 partitions on the drive; one NTFS (Windows XP) one HFS+ (Leopard) and one FAT (Nothing). I erased the FAT partition to HFS+ using Disk Utility in Leopard and it killed my XP installation. Just a word of warning...

Probably all it did was remove the bootable flag.

I repaired my XP twice with this method, but to no avail. it keeps on saying Error Loading Operating System...

I have XP SP3 RC2 3311...could the SP3 be a problem in getting my XP repaired?

I can still boot into Leopard using DVD.

Will fixing MBR do the job? i havent yet tried it since i fear fixing MBR might ruin my Leopard installation and i dont want to go through the pain again!

Finally got my XP back on track by using Hiren's Boot CD and Acronis OS Selector....but i had to give up my Mac installation...the ToH did not install on my PC so i installed it on my laptop. Now downloading Kalyway...hope this works on my PC!

m trying another method...

Install Acronis OS Selector on Windows XP before venturing into OS X

Make a bootable repair disk of Acronis OS Selector (It asks for it while installing)

Install OS X.

I'll see if things churn out properly with/without reparing Acronis.

Will post the story as soon as i finish...

THE DVD DISK UTILITY CORRUPTION

I formatted the partition named NEW VOLUME (D:) in OS X Extended journaled naming it leopard.

Somehow, it changed the name of my other partition (E:) to disk0s2

Also,

When u go on the Hard Disk....(where you can see the Partition Tab)

In that, in the volume scheme, it shows all my partitions (except the Win XP one) as Mac OS journaled partitions. But when I individually see each partition (on the left side list), things are in order...like..one is FAT32, other 2 are NTFS and the Mac partition.

Well, it happened to me also. But it is very different to the existing theories here.

Now here's the story of mine:

I was installing Zephyroth's 10.5.2 AMD Rev. 1 release then it finishes installing, then when my PC rebooted, Darwin bootloader showed up, so I chose that time Windows XP because I'll edit the boot.ini for the chain0 method thing. Surprisingly, after the Windows XP Logo, the PC stopped. Just plain black screen. ( I panic-ked! yeah! countless resets)

Until,

I have a MacDrive software installed. So, I booted into safemode, disabled MacDrive then rebooted. Voila! It booted straight up.

However, it is true that Leopard messes the partitions. I have an HD and the arrangement goes like this (the partitions) :

Windows XP |||| Leopard HD ||| Music HD

Leopard messed my Music HD partition. After the reboot, my mouse don't work (it is ps/2). Windows XP told me that they've finished installing the hardware. Theoretically speaking, Leopard changes the subsequent partitions to its style of locating partitions (//disk0/..x2 etc) But after rebooting, the Music HD is gone because Windows XP can't locate it. So I popped Norton PartitionMagic 8 then fix the partition by unhiding the partition.

Good luck all..