Need help with Leopard install

CompCrasher86

11 posts in this topic

Hi I just tried to install Leopard on two different computers, neither would even boot the disc.

System 1 is a Dell Optiplex GX240 Desktop with an ATI Radeon x700 and the most recent bios update. It has an 80gb hard drive with an Xp Pro install (NTFS file system) and around 56gb free, It also has a 10 gb drive filled with music and pictures, also NTFS

System 2 is a Compaq Presario 2500 Laptop (2581US) with an 80gb hard drive too. It has a 50gb Windows XP partition and also a 30gb Windows Vista Ultimate partition that I want to install Leopard over. It has a Teac DVD-R/CD-RW drive and It also has the most recent bios update.

I have an iAtkos v1.0i dvd just burned at 4x speed from system one using a Plextor PX-708UF dvd writer...

When I try the disk in system one, the Bios loading bar hangs, a funny noise comes from the drive, and then it goes straight to booting XP. If I force it to boot from the DVD drive it tells me to strike F1 to reboot.

When I try the disk in system 2 it just totally ignores the disc and shows no sign of recognition, even when I tell it to boot from the cd-drive.

I guess I am more of a novice than I thought on this issue. My preference would be to get Leopard running on the laptop (system 2) but I would still be perfectly happy if it was running on the desktop (system 1)

I WOULD REALLLLLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP if somebody is willing to bear with me... Thank you in advance

It would appear the dell and the compaq both have low to mid range pentium 4 cpu's. These do not support sse3 instruction sets required by the iatkos release. You may want to try and find an sse2 release. Im not sure if that is what is casuing the problem but even if you machine could boot the dvd it would reboot because mac os x could not find the sse3 instructions.

Darn you are right. Both of them are sse2 Pentinum 4's. I actually did get the compaq to boot the disk but when I got past Darwin, I saw the Apple splash screen for a split second and then it rebooted.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ system with 1gb RAM, ATI Radeon X1600, and a 120gb HD but it has a broken motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-K8NS) According to AMD that processor is SSE3 compatible and all the hardware on the mobo was compatible with tiger so I guess I have to go ebay hunting for a gigabyte GA-K8NS

Aha very interesting, I have a friend who is giving me a Kalyway disc tomarrow so I will try that. As for the iAtkos disk I think there may be a problem...I got another system a couple months back that shouldnt have a problem with the disc but it does... heres the specs

• Compaq Presario SR2170NX
  • Intel Pentinum 4 3.00Ghz model number 631 with HT. Code name Cedar Mill socket 775. 65nm Chip technology and supports (MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T)
  • Motherboard is ECS Athena 5 with ATI Chipset RS400/RC400/RC410
  • Bios is American Megatrends Inc. v5.14
  • Ram is one stick of Hyundai 1gb DDR2 memory
  • Hard Drive is 160gb SATA
  • Graphics are Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 but has a PCI Express expansion slot

These specs should work fine but the computer also reboots (just like the laptop does) after "Pressing enter to install" at the darwin prompt. I have tried pressing f8 and typing -x and also -v but no luck. This computer currently has 2 partitions, a main one for vista and then another one 8gb or so for a backup of vista.Do i need to partition my HD before install?Might my disc or iso be faulty?oh yeah its got a lightscribe drive but I don't think thats very important

I installed the KalyWAY 10.5.1 and just loaded the sse2 option with the install and it works just fine on my HP NX7010. During the boot up it does some or other sse3 emulation.

Dont give up hope!

SticMAN

the HP NX7010 looks almost like a clone to my presario 2500. Does it have similar specs?

Back to the original problem... I can't even get my laptop to boot the installer. Right now it has two partitions, 50gb and 30gb. 50gb has XP Pro and 30 is a blank NTFS formatted partition. When I boot with Kalyway and TOH, it loads darwin, I press enter (have tried -v and -x) and loads for a minute or so with the spinning backslash, and then It just reboots.

Help please :)

I installed the KalyWAY 10.5.1 and just loaded the sse2 option with the install and it works just fine on my HP NX7010. During the boot up it does some or other sse3 emulation.

Dont give up hope!

SticMAN

When you installed it on the NX7010, did you have to change any bios settings? Also, what did you do for boot options in Darwin? How was your hard drive partitioned when you installed Kalyway? Did it boot right into the installer or did it have problems?

Lol sorry for all the ?'s I am desperate!

Hello,

Did you already find a solution on how to install it on Dell optiplex Gx 240 , i've the same troubles.....

Greetings,

Mouride

Greetings Mouride,

I'm sorry I have tried everything with my Optiplex GX240. I have gotten as far as darwin now, but when I try and go any further it just restarts. Same problem with my laptop.

If anybody has success please share

• 1 year later...
Greetings Mouride,

I'm sorry I have tried everything with my Optiplex GX240. I have gotten as far as darwin now, but when I try and go any further it just restarts. Same problem with my laptop.

If anybody has success please share

Well as a side note, I got OS X installed on my SR2170NX with no trouble at all on the first try :D