Toast 8 inflates DVD iso images

solaar

5 posts in this topic

Hi there gurus,

This is an issue I can't get my head around to begin with.

I want to 'burn' a video DVD from my camcorder footage (mpeg2) but just to an iso file for ftp transfer to a friend. BTW I want to send a readily authored DVD with menus and all and not just the raw video files, that's why I'm doing it via an iso. From the video DVD menu in Toast I add my files before I made sure they don't exceed the 4.7GB (or is it 4.38GB?) Anyway the large button in Toast stays green and the capacity metre bar never exceeds the max. All good I thought. I save the project to an iso file but now the resulting iso is 5.24GB... ??? ;)

I'm positively sure the whole project is way below 4.7GB so why does Toast 'inflate' the iso?

The thing is I can burn this iso with toast to a regular DVD without problems. What I've noticed though is that it shows a popup saying something about 'now extracting and compressing...'

The problem is that most other burning software won't even accept an iso that's larger than 4.7GB (I suppose, correct me if I'm wrong).

My mate is on XP and Nero so I doubt he'll be able to burn this iso properly. Or am I totally off the mark here?

I know Toast is somehow able to cope and compress it to fit but why is this happening at all?

cheers

sol

You have to take into consideration that the full size of a DVD SL media is 4.7GB but this is actually the size expressed in chunks of Bytes with clusters of 1000 when a Byte has actually 1024!

4,7GB = 4,702,989,210 Bytes.

The actual maximum data storage capacity in GB with 1024 clusters is therefor:

4,702,989,210 (Bytes)/ 1024 (KBytes)/ 1024 (MBytes) / 1024 (GBytes) = 4,38GB maximum data storage capacity.

The closest you can get to 1000 in a computer address consistent of bits is 2^10(bits)=1024. Therefor 1 KByte (thousand Bytes) is actually by definition 1024 Bytes, 1 MByte is 1024Bytes * 1024Bytes, etc.

Cheers,

hecker

EDIT: Small correction:

The first statement should read:

...the size expressed in chunks of Bytes with clusters of 1000 when one Kilo (thousand) Bytes is actually 1024!

GREAT!!! Someone knows how to count computer style!!!! ;):blink::blink:^_^:)

This is the BEST description of bits counting i've ever seen , you should write a paper for a degree or something on this, I still have techies who don't know why 1000's don't add up in PC language

My I borrow this, make a 3foot x 3foot poster and hang it up on the wall at their office please?

SticMAN

You have to take into consideration that the full size of a DVD SL media is 4.7GB but this is actually the size expressed in chunks of Bytes with clusters of 1000 when a Byte has actually 1024!

4,7GB = 4,702,989,210 Bytes.

The actual maximum data storage capacity in GB with 1024 clusters is therefor:

4,702,989,210 (Bytes)/ 1024 (KBytes)/ 1024 (MBytes) / 1024 (GBytes) = 4,38GB maximum data storage capacity.

The closest you can get to 1000 in a computer address consistent of bits is 2^10(bits)=1024. Therefor 1 KByte (thousand Bytes) is actually by definition 1024 Bytes, 1 MByte is 1024Bytes * 1024Bytes, etc.

Cheers,

hecker

GREAT!!! Someone knows haw to count computer style!!!! :):D:D:D:D

This is the BEST description of bits counting i've ever seen , you should write a paper for a degree or something on this, I still have techies who doesn't know why 1000 doesn't add up in PC language

My i borrow this, make a 3foot x 3foot poster and hang it up on the wall at their office please?

SticMAN

I know what you mean. It's actually a simple concept but pretty hard to understand when you don't know how a binary system works. It gets even worse when you have to explain WHY the decimal system has to be transformed into another numeric base like binary, octal, hexadecimal. Hehe.

hecker