Opinions please on my hardware choices for hackintosh

12 posts in this topic

I've been using Macs for awhile now, and while my iMac is a nice machine I find the limitations annoying. I want my own set of monitors, more memory, etc. So I've started thinking about putting together my own Hackintosh that would be roughly equivalent to a lower-end Mac Pro. With the research I've done, I've come up with this hardware list:

Motherboard: Asus P5K Premium ($195)

Processor: Intel Q6600 ($280)

Memory: 4GB (2x 2GB DDR2-800) ($100)

Video: ASUS EN8600GT SILENT ($116)

Seagate SATA-II 500GB hard drive ($100)

LG DVD-RW ($25)

Antec P180 case ($105) and good 600W-700W power supply (~$90)

Total: about $1000

My main questions which I would really appreciate your input on:

1. I've chosen DDR2-800 memory because the DDR2-1066 memory is twice as expensive. I don't game on my computer, so I presume this is an acceptable compromise?

2. I plan on running one Dell 30" display at the start, and adding a second one later. That video card should be able to drive two 30" dual-link displays, right?

The Q6600 is great!

Mobo i think is good idk i use the Bad Axe 2 which works well

but for your memory $100 for only 2 gigs!! come on here is a two gig stick for $35!!!!!

Load it up with 8 if you can!!!!!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208344

The Video Card has drivers in the Beta 10.5.2 and is working okay, but not 100% stable, that is untill 10.5.2 is offically released! ;)

Im going with the 8800 GT which is one of the most stable cards in Leapord right now!

for you monitors you will have no problem with the Dual 30 inchers with either card!!

DVD and HDD will must likely be fine!

good luck!!!!!!

i hope i helped

Yes thank you that did help. I have 4GB up there though for $100 (2x 2GB, two 2GB sticks), leaving myself room to upgrade to 8GB in the future.

Why would you recommend the Bad Axe 2 over the P5W Deluxe? Is it easier to get working with OS X?

As far as the video card...you're saying that once 10.5.2 is released, there will be drivers built-in for the 8600GT? I'm curious how you find that information out...and if maybe I should pick a different card, one that's compatible with 10.5.1 for sure. I don't need an 8800GT though, that's overkill.

idk if the bad Axe is so much easier but there is a Amazing guide by Weaksauce12 in the Genius Bar to get it full working so i picked it for the support from other people, i would imagine that it is basically the same but the guide helps you put efi on it and get it ready for the Apple updates with out having to do all of the crazy things you normaly have to do!

the video card info is, the there are beta drivers you can Dl and the 8600 is in there.

But when .2 comes out they should be very very stable then (i guess apple will be using them, idk)

but 8800 GT is 100% Now but 8600 will be 100% soon i guess.

There is always the 7000's series

the 7900 works very well!!!!

this is my card

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-e-GeForce-8800-...5350&sr=8-3

it is $260 but im doing a lot of video and 3D graphics

it all depends on your needs and budget! (i know the price is a lot higher!)

i have heard from some one that when they are not doing heavy load things i.e. 3D graphics the card is fine with the Beta drivers and it most likely will be fine in 3D graphics and stuff when it is offically released!

*Nate*

I'd go with a quiet X1950Pro for the graphics card. Faster than the 8600, completely compatible - check bronya's thread in here about those cards and a X1950Pro with 256MB should cost no more than the 100$ you are planning on spending on the 8600GT which is a very average card.

^ Thanks for the suggestion about the quiet ATI card. I do want this thing to be as quiet as possible, I'll check that card out. They do look to be more expensive though, about $140 to $160.

EDIT: What about the 1950GT? Those are about $100. Keep in mind I don't game.

I believe even the GT is a better card than the 8600/2600 stuff but you might want to do a bit more search about it. I believe Bronya's drivers work for the GT fine as well but do check this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=58988&st=0

He specifically aimed the Pro versions of the card but if you search that thread for the posts with GT you will see what sort of success the owners of such cards have. Having said that I am sure if you search for a second hand Pro you will be able to find it around 100$ in the states. I bought mine for 80$ in the UK....

Well I think I'm going to go with an ASUS P5K Premium as that will give me the most features and future-proofness (probably not really a word :) ). I do want a board with at least 6 working SATA ports because I'm going to be migrating most of my data into this machine (instead of the Linux server it's on now).

My remaining questions are these:

1. Should I get an IDE or SATA DVD-RW? I'd prefer IDE, since I want to leave the SATA ports free for hard drives, but I've heard about IDE not working with OS X on some boards. I haven't been able to dig up anything definite for the P5K Premium on this topic.

2. This is more software-related, but I'm not sure what installation method to use with this particular set of hardware. Kalyway is mentioned a lot; from what I understand that has built-in patches for a lot of things so it pretty much works out of the box. Any comments on install methods used with a P5K premium would be appreciated.

3. Will I be able to apply Apple Software Updates, or will these break my hackintosh?

I do want a board with at least 6 working SATA ports because I'm going to be migrating most of my data into this machine (instead of the Linux server it's on now).

Are you confident your Hackintosh will be reliable and stable enough to run in such a mission critical capacity? Is a Hackintosh a "primary system" or just a toy?

Are you confident your Hackintosh will be reliable and stable enough to run in such a mission critical capacity? Is a Hackintosh a "primary system" or just a toy?

I meant I'll move all my data over assuming I get it working well. I keep that stuff on separate drives from the OS and backup hourly to a different machine anyway, so keeping it in my main machine (even if it's a stable hackintosh) isn't a problem. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing with my data ;)

Anyone have any thoughts on my questions?

I'd recommend a P35 or X38 chipset mobo - the 975 chipsets are too outdated. P35 & X38 also support new upcoming 45nm C2D's. I'd also recommend going w/a 45nm CPU - they will be less expensive, faster, cooler (as in less heat) than the current 65nm CPU's. For example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115037

If you want quad-core:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q...xt&start=10

I'd also recommend a bigger case than the Antec P120 (for better airflow) and higher-watt PSU - don't skimp on the PSU (spend as much as you can afford)

I'd recommend a P35 or X38 chipset mobo - the 975 chipsets are too outdated. P35 & X38 also support new upcoming 45nm C2D's.

The P5K premium I mentioned is a P35, isn't it? I chose it because it appeared that would be a good one to give me some room for future upgrades, since it has the 1333 MHz FSB. That's a good board, isn't it?

I'd also recommend going w/a 45nm CPU - they will be less expensive, faster, cooler (as in less heat) than the current 65nm CPU's. For example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115037

If you want quad-core:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q...xt&start=10

I do want quad core, but yikes those are nearly $100 more than the Q6600 I picked out. I'll consider it.

I'd also recommend a bigger case than the Antec P120 (for better airflow) and higher-watt PSU - don't skimp on the PSU (spend as much as you can afford)

I actually mean a P180. Typo. That's a pretty good-sized case already. I'm definitely not going any bigger. I picked the P180 because it's very quiet and it has room for the 5 or so hard drives I'll eventually have in there. And it's very clean and simple looking.

And yes, back when I built PCs I learned the hard way not to go with cheap PSUs...after running all this through a calculator it looks like I should buy a 600-700W one. I'll edit my original post.