Updating from JaS 10.4.8 (Intel, SSE3) to 10.4.11 via Software Update

BrianEwing

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I read over the forums and either found "DO NOT DO THIS AT ALL IT WILL DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER", or "Yeah, it's bleeding edge but here are instructions"

Well, my experience is:

I hit Software Update, and let the 10.4.11 download. Meanwhile...

I backed up my /System/Library/Extensions folder to /extbackups, and installed the update. I then ran the kernel (It's kernel folks, not kernal. KERNEL!) update script entitled "scriptv3.command" and nearly sh*t myself when it couldn't connect to the net. I just got off the wireless and plugged into the router via ethernet. The kernel update went fine.

Then I replaced some files to the Extensions folder again, namely:

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

System.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext, and

IOATAFamily.kext

Then I repaired Disk Permissions and rebooted. I used the -f flag and saw a kernel panic "ACPI Error", or something along those lines

I replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext using Terminal in my JaS 10.4.8 install disc.

I rebooted. Another panic, but a verbose (-v) flag was needed to see this error, as it simply hung on boot. "Local APIC Error", it said.

Again I went onto the Terminal in my install disc, and replaced "AppleAPIC.kext". I rebooted. It then rebooted on its own. I thought "Here we go..." but to my amazement, here I am! It booted EXTREMELY slowly, but after another reboot it was fine. I'm now back up on 10.4.11 and ready to go!

Just thought I'd share my experiences, and let the community know it's possible.

Thanks,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've been wondering about this too. Safari 3 is the only real reason I fancy updating. I've got nothing against getting Firefox though if I can't get Safari.

I downloaded the 10.4.11 standalone update (it's taken me so long to get everything working i'm not brave enough to the procedure from the 1st post!) and opened it up using Pacifist and there it is! In the Applications folder is Safari.app

Since I'm still a major OS X n00b can anyone tell me if it's possible to extract that and install it? And if so, how?

I've been tempted to install EFI so I can do proper updates but again, not brave enough to do anything major in case I kill it.

Thinking of which, can anyone recommend a good backup utility? I'm guessing that using Norton Ghost won't work? :D

I've found Clonetool Hatchery but no decent instructions and it's not really clear whether I can clone to another drive which I can trash as many times as I like.

Any info/advice would be very gratefuly received!

Dyl

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
Hello, I read over the forums and either found "DO NOT DO THIS AT ALL IT WILL DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER", or "Yeah, it's bleeding edge but here are instructions"

Well, my experience is:

I hit Software Update, and let the 10.4.11 download. Meanwhile...

I backed up my /System/Library/Extensions folder to /extbackups, and installed the update. I then ran the kernel (It's kernel folks, not kernal. KERNEL!) update script entitled "scriptv3.command" and nearly sh*t myself when it couldn't connect to the net. I just got off the wireless and plugged into the router via ethernet. The kernel update went fine.

Then I replaced some files to the Extensions folder again, namely:

AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

System.kext

AppleSMBIOS.kext, and

IOATAFamily.kext

Then I repaired Disk Permissions and rebooted. I used the -f flag and saw a kernel panic "ACPI Error", or something along those lines

I replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext using Terminal in my JaS 10.4.8 install disc.

I rebooted. Another panic, but a verbose (-v) flag was needed to see this error, as it simply hung on boot. "Local APIC Error", it said.

Again I went onto the Terminal in my install disc, and replaced "AppleAPIC.kext". I rebooted. It then rebooted on its own. I thought "Here we go..." but to my amazement, here I am! It booted EXTREMELY slowly, but after another reboot it was fine. I'm now back up on 10.4.11 and ready to go!

Just thought I'd share my experiences, and let the community know it's possible.

Thanks,

Brian

Do you think you could make a video on how you did this? I'm new to JaS and Mac and stuff. I have no idea how to backup files, or anything.  :unsure: I would be very grateful if you would make one (: