Nforce4 ethernet solved

Ianxxx

21 posts in this topic

I'm new to all this but I seem to have fixed the problems with the nforce 4 ethernet driver freezing up.

in forcedeth-d.kext changed this option to true not false. Now no freezing, downloading etc works perfectly.

<key>IRQTimer</key>

<true/>

Hope this helps a few people out ;)

I'm new to all this but I seem to have fixed the problems with the nforce 4 ethernet driver freezing up.

in forcedeth-d.kext changed this option to true not false. Now no freezing, downloading etc works perfectly.

<key>IRQTimer</key>

<true/>

Hope this helps a few people out :(

Ian,

I am using the driver from MikeInNs from this post. Could you post or PM me with where you found the IRQ lines in the kext? MikeInNs's driver does not have it and maybe it does not need it but I was willing to try it and see what the results are.

Dora

Just a note to add re using disc director-you have to use manual mode, choose the size of you mac drive partition carefully- you cannot change any partition sizes later or you will loose everything! Its a small drive but with this laptop its easy to export files.

After install hide the disc director program so noone using your laptop will be tempted to fool around with it, in fact its best to not use it again but leave it installed for the os selector to work. Always carry the acronis boot cd with the laptop- I have had to use it twice in a week because os selector became unactivated-probabily from installing numerious programs in vista and leopard-simple to fix-boot to cd and select activate os selector.

I have relayed an actual model, I have spent 2 days on my HP laptop with no sucess-similar specs but I have given up now.

Should things go terrible wrong trying to install leopard using disc director on another computer you will have to eliminate the c drive partition, this makes active your recovery drive partition since you cannot simply push a F key, so you can boot into it and restore. Never never fool with your recovery partition, you never know when you will need it.

Sadly, this doesn't work for me...

I found an easy way to check- goto http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?Discussion...p;page=1#Item_0 an click on the first desktop image.... crashes every time :censored2:

The foredeth-nockd on the AMD wiki doesn't work either- I don't understand what's happened in rev.2 of the AMD that can't be shared to all the version 1 users.

Anyone know?

I PM'd Zephyroth to see how he got his onboard LAN working, because we both have the same Mainboard (Asus A8N5X). He said to use EFI v8 and the kexts from the original DVD. I installed EFI and it didn't work without cpus=1

However, last night on the forums (http://osx.kbot.de/) naquaada posted this suggestion

The network is controlled manually, static IP-Adresses, Router, 2 DNS-server adresses for my internet provider (T-Online). TCP/IP V6 is switched off. The speed is also set manually to 100/100 Full Duplex.

So for me it looks like this

Network Settings Panel

network1yq1.jpg

Click Advanced and set IPv6 to off

network2bx3.jpg

Click on the DNS tab and enter your DNS Servers

network3ru3.jpg

And then in the Ethernet tab, change it to Manual, with 100baseT Full Duplex.

network4un7.jpg

Click OK, and Apply and reboot without cpus=1

Worked for me, been downloading torrents and and surfing the web for a while now without a freeze. If it doesn't work, might want to try installing EFI v8 and repeating the steps.

Also, for some reason after I set it to 100baseTx and full duplex, it reverts to automatic. In system profiler it says it's still 100baseTx / Full-Duplex. Dunno.

Hope that helps.

-rfu-

It didn't work for me either, back when I used forcedeth.

At first I always only used one cpu core, as It did work like that, but I really wanted to use both of them. So then I used my second LAN Port instead of the nForce, a Marvell Yukon one, which worked perfectly without any freezes.

Now I bought an Airport Extreme, and I enjoy Highspeed Wireless Networking which is nice.

In zephyroth's Rev.2 Disk the LAN Freeze issue will be fixed, by the way!

This is working for me without the cpus=1 flag. The only other thing I have changed is I am using IONetworking family version 1.6 from 10.4.8 don't know if this makes a difference or not but my amd is now fully functional

AMD 3800 + (clocked to 2.8G)

Abit AN8 Ultra

Here is my full info.plist of forcedeth-d.kext

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>forcedeth</string>

<key>CFBundleIconFile</key>

<string></string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.triton.forcedeth</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>forcedeth</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.0d2</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>nForce 4 LAN</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.triton.forcedeth</string>

<key>ChecksumReceive</key>

<false/>

<key>ChecksumTransmit</key>

<false/>

<key>Debug</key>

<false/>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>com_triton_forcedeth</string>

<key>IOKitDebug</key>

<integer>0</integer>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>nForce4 LAN</string>

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x005710DE</string>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOPCIDevice</string>

<key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string>IOKit</string>

<key>IRQTimer</key>

<true/>

<key>MultipleSegments</key>

<true/>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.kernel.libkern</key>

<string>1.0.0b1</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.bsd</key>

<string>8.0.0b1</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

I changed the IRQ flag in the kext, and my system has been up and stable for about 4 hours now, torrented a few movies, uploaded some pictures. Sat and idled. This is without cpus=1

Hopefully it will continue to work. And hopefully you get yours straightened out.

I changed the IRQ flag in the kext, and my system has been up and stable for about 4 hours now, torrented a few movies, uploaded some pictures. Sat and idled. This is without cpus=1Hopefully it will continue to work. And hopefully you get yours straightened out.
Thanks for that was begining to think I'd made a boob lol ;)

rfuilrez what version of Leopard are you using etc?

Yep I was up and running for nearly two days, which is why I thought I'd cured it. Now sometimes I can browse for an hour or two including things like youtube. Other times it'll crash emidiatly.I think the new fix has something to do with efi.

Those links to kernels seem to be dead?

I think I have found the solution but would like feed back from others, I realised that my freezes only happened when i had rebooted from windows, If I start with power off and boot straight in to osx it seems fine so far, two hours and counting lol. This is along with the change mentioned earlier to forcedeth-d.kext

I think I have found the solution but would like feed back from others, I realised that my freezes only happened when i had rebooted from windows, If I start with power off and boot straight in to osx it seems fine so far, two hours and counting lol. This is along with the change mentioned earlier to forcedeth-d.kext

that seems pretty mad- but what the hell!

try downloading vlc

:(

Hey guys,

I am having major problems with this too, and I have the same exact mobo as Naquaada. I've tried everything except for Ian's IRQ suggestion (may give it a try next, but I have a feeling it wont help me). Funny thing is, I wasn't using this NIC originally. I was using the other one that comes on my board - the Marvell/Yukon. It was running great and then suddenly stopped turning on (but still worked fine in WinXP). I had dealt with a similar issue on a friend's hackintosh, where booting into WinXP and then booting into OSX would kill the NIC. The solution there was to turn on LAN Boot ROM in the BIOS, and I also heard that turning on "Wake-on-LAN" inside the NIC's settings in Windows Device Manager would work too. Needless to say, I've tried both for my own system, and neither method worked. That's when I decided to give the NForce4 NIC a try (despite all the horror stories), and I could never even get it to run at all. It comes up under System Preferences -> Network, but stays orange on the side pane. Sometimes I can get it to turn green by going full-manual (as suggested above), but it never connects to the internet for even a second. I have no idea what Naquaada has done to make his system so flawless ... perhaps a little deal with the devil? :dev::)

I don't know if this will help but I read somewhere the problem with the yukon is XP uses a different mac address and changing the one XP uses to the same one as the mac solves the problem.

You can change this in device manager.

I don't know if this will help but I read somewhere the problem with the yukon is XP uses a different mac address and changing the one XP uses to the same one as the mac solves the problem.

You can change this in device manager.

Very interesting, I'll give it a shot next time I feel like messing with Leopard again (I'm taking a rest after 5 straight days of battling with it for this issue and for my 8800gt. :)

• 2 weeks later...