Unlocking a MBP

XOX_Attack

7 posts in this topic

Hey this is my first post on the site but I've been lurking it for quite sometime built 2 hackintoshes without even posting.

Finally sold a bunch of stuff to get a legit mac (MBP) but...

One of my school mates has a hackintosh ( I think alienware) laptop and has the 8600gm card like the mine in the macbook pro. but his inside OSX has the video ram unlocked up to 512 instead of 128 where mine is. I noticed that when I used boot camp that XP see's my video card as 512 and not 128.

I'm curious if there's a file or a ktext out there so that I can unlock the rest of my videocard inside OSX.

if there is can someone link me I can't seem to find it.

Hey thanks, I double posted this in a different part of the forum hoping for more answers sooner.

JSN1 was saying that if a computer with the similair specs as one of the macs out there, the video ram will be higher when it's made into a hackintosh but that the preformance isn't that significant.

still i'm curious if it'll make even a little difference.

I got the MBP mostly for school but also so I'd be able to run Starcraft 2, solidly, when it comes out.

if anyone still has more info on how to do this, or what the driver is for the alienware laptop that has the 512. please let me know.

thanks a bunch

• 1 year later...
Hey thanks, I double posted this in a different part of the forum hoping for more answers sooner.

JSN1 was saying that if a computer with the similair specs as one of the macs out there, the video ram will be higher when it's made into a hackintosh but that the preformance isn't that significant.

still i'm curious if it'll make even a little difference.

I got the MBP mostly for school but also so I'd be able to run Starcraft 2, solidly, when it comes out.

if anyone still has more info on how to do this, or what the driver is for the alienware laptop that has the 512. please let me know.

thanks a bunch

Hi!

First of all sorry my bad english. lol

Now let me tell that i'm happy because for the first time i finally found someone talking about this.

I've a Macbook Pro 3,1 with a GeForce 8600M 128MB and when i installed windows xp with the bootcamp and saw the specifications, i noticed that de video ram was 256 instead 128.. that made me think. Is windows using shared memory?why!? and if so, why can't i do that on os x!? Then i started to think like if i was apple. Probably, the difference of costs from a 128 to 256 videocard to them is nothing. So they bought only 256 mb cards and use them for every mbp which is more easy and cheaper at the assembly line. Then they block the memory using software which is much more easy.

Following the maths, i think this is most logical option.

Now, does anyone knows if there is a way of unblocking it!?

I wish i knew a little bit of programming.. lol

thank you