Messed up screen on reboot

~pcwiz

21 posts in this topic

Hi,

My new computer's full specs are in my signature. I have a Samsung 931BW 19" Widescreen monitor and an XFX 7900GS XT 256MB DDR3 graphics card with dual DVI. The Samsung monitor has both VGA and DVI connections but it only came with a VGA cable so I plugged in the VGA cable and since the video card only has DVI, I used the VGA -> DVI connector that came with the video card.

So, its working great, and I switch it to the native resolution which is 1440x900. It looks great in native resolution but when you go into a full screen game and then quit the game and restart the computer, the screen is all garbled. Its misaligned and the text is all pixelated. You can fix it by switching to a lower resolution and back to 1440x900 but if you go into full screen again and restart, the problem comes back. It doesn't happen on lower resolutions, just that 1440x900.

How can I fix it? 1440x900 is the best resolution...

Right now I'm installing the latest graphics card drivers...See how it goes

Boot in OSX86 if you have an install. Trust me, I have had a {censored}load of problems with graphic cards, it is not the monitor!!

1. Check if card is properly inserted

2. Boot into another OS to verify issue

3. Change Cables

4. Check BIOS config

The problem isn't here right now. I can use Windows just fine. You fix the problem by going into a lower resolution and the problem goes away. Just that problem with the 1440x900 resolution.

1. Card is properly inserted, otherwise the computer wouldn't boot :(

2. Don't have another OS installed

3. Cables are brand new

4. Will check BIOS config, but I doubt that BIOS controls video settings

I think I've found the problem. Numerous users have reported problems using a VGA analog connection. And even though I'm using a DVI -> VGA converter, its still being detected as analog and not DVI (digital).

I think I've found the problem. Numerous users have reported problems using a VGA analog connection. And even though I'm using a DVI -> VGA converter, its still being detected as analog and not DVI (digital).

That's most likely your issue. Does your monitor not support DVI?

Yeah. I found a few good ones but the problem is, if they don't work and if it's not the problem then its a total waste of money. For now, I think I'll use the best resolution next to 1440x900, which believe it or not, is 1152x864.

Yeah. I found a few good ones but the problem is, if they don't work and if it's not the problem then its a total waste of money. For now, I think I'll use the best resolution next to 1440x900, which believe it or not, is 1152x864.

Yeah, but, I'd rather waste about $20 on a DVI cable than a few hundred on a new LCD display. And if you want to use alternate resolutions, try 1600x1200, you'll get used to it faster.

OK, well I'm looking for a DVI-I Dual Link cable on eBay right now. The cables themselves are cheap but shipping costs more. Does anyone know of a deal where I can buy a DVI-I Dual Link cable for $12.74 with shipping (thats how much I have in my PayPal account)??

• 2 months later...

OK well sorry for bumping an old thread but I guess I'll follow up on this. So, the cable arrived and to my huge dismay it didn't fit into the monitors connector. One end fits into the video card, but the other end that goes into the monitor doesn't fit because the cable is DVI-I Dual Link and the monitor DVI port is DVI-D. But now the good news. After waiting a long time in 1152x864, I finally got a copy of Vista Ultimate x64 + x32 and I installed x64, did all the latest software updates, updated the graphics drivers to the latest versions from NVIDIA, and grabbed the latest monitor drivers from Samsung.

The problem is GONE with Vista ;)