Should I Sell Ibm Thinkpad and buy Macbookpro???

17 posts in this topic

Im thinking about selling my IBM thinkpad t41 with 1.7ghz pentium centrino, 1.5gb ram, 60gb 7200 harddrive for 1800 and buy a macbookpro (hopefully near the same price since im a student)......Do you think this is a good tradeoff????????? Please give me advice.............

Depends on several factors, primarily what you use your notebook for.

Consider this - if you go 'Apple' you will have to obtain Apple versions of the software you currently use on Windows. If all you do is browse the web and write emails, that's no big deal. If you use big-name apps you are in the unfortunate position of having to trade licenses, buy new software and so on. Even if you plan on obtaining 'trial' software from various sources be aware that it's not as easy to find dodgy Mac software. Yes, it's out there, but it can be harder to locate, slower to download, maybe not cracked.

I use OSX and Windows daily in my work. Much as I love OSX I could not work without some Windows apps which simply are not available for the Mac. It upsets me to say that some apps for both platforms have a slicker or more robust interface on Windows or just run better. Some apps are only partly ported to OSX and have bugs which drive you crazy.

So before you trade your Thinkpad for a Macbook (horrid name) do some soul-searching as to whether the Mac will do what you want. If it will, go for it. If not, stay where you are and install an OSx86 partition on that T41.

when that t41 is worth 500 bux..(also i have no idea how u came up with 1800 when i can get a d610 for 600)

the mac will hopefully be worth a lot more...

but we'll see...

this brings an interesting point...

usually the ibooks / imacs etc...had a lasting $ value since new macs didnt pop up like the latest x86 worthy mb, cpu, vid card..

while we are able to upgrade every few months..many mac users hold on to their beloved powerbooks and even though the value decreases..it stays a lot higher than say a dell laptop would.

Like Metrogirl said it depends on your use.

I have my T40 in dual boot with XP and I spend 99% of the time in Mac but I like having XP when I need it, many for wireless.

I don't plan on running Mac on my T40 forever but by that time I need to move on, the T40 will be out of date to me so time to buy a new one. I figure that my system is good for 2 years but my next one will be Mac for sure, I'm sold, best OS. :withstupid:

Thanx for the replies guys!!!!!!! And in response to "powrslave", 1st off IBM is overpriced and yes I can sell my laptop for that price (im sure of it.....im adding a ton of accessories and other {censored}) and 2nd dont compare a Dell with an IBM, IBM has a bigger reputation and is just better in my opinion. Besides, where can u get a d610 for 600???? Im really interested cuz the cheapest one I saw was for 999.......

BTW, heres a link to the laptop:http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/computing/computers/laptops/177232/details

its the same as mine, excpet mine has 1 gb of memory.

I totally agree with you ripoflive IBM is superior to Dell's and to most other brands.

@powrslave IBM's retain a higher resale value because they are designed for business use unlike Dell who sell mostly to the consumer market. The Thinkpads are designed for business use not so you can play the video game of the week on.

My T40 has given me no problems in the 2 years I have had it, unlike the 2 Compaq Armada's (1750, M700) I had before. :P

I'll back you up too - my Thinkpad T23 has been twice round the world, literally, in the three+ years I've had it. The case got cracked and I've had to replace the battery but it just goes on working and working. The HP before it had a dead LCD after a few months then the CD drive died. I'm using a VAIO ultralight now because it's really portable (it'll never last) but the IBM machine still works and it has incredible build quality compared to the rest.

I used to think that people who bought 'Genuine IBM' had more money than sense. I discovered that was far from true - IBM quality really justified the extra cost. It remains to be seen if Lenovo will maintain the build, research and component quality that made IBM PCs and laptops so reliable (I doubt it somehow) but any of the recent models of Thinkpad will just keep going and going.

Double props!!!! Now that being said, im debating if I should still get a macbookpro or ibm thinkpad t60....They are nearly the same specs the only difference is price and I might be able to use both Windows and Mac os on the IBM. Dang, im so confused, maybe I should just wait and see what happens............If the macbookpro can run XP or Vista, im goin with it!

Well, Apple build quality has recently been excellent too. I would wait a while then go for the MacBook *WHEN* it becomes possible to dual-boot with Windows on that platform. Actually I probably will do that!

You also have another option if Vista running on MacBook does not happen you always have VirtualPC when a Intel version surfaces. Plus Darwine is around the corner, a port of the wine project http://www.winehq.com/

I'm thinking by the time I buy my MacBook someone will have found a way to dual boot and I'm sure the above options will be available.

I have always like the ThinkPads but I hated the higher price tag until I understood why. They are rock solid with a good tight design and a titanium shell. I guess as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for" and the same can be said for Mac.

• 6 months later...

Gee, I too have a IBM Thinkpad T41p, with 1 Gb ram, 60 Gb/7200RPM HD, maxed out, high end, etc., which I paid over $3,000 for in Feb. of 2004.

I have a HD caddy/sled with a 30Gb HD running OS X 10.47, and love it.

IF I could get the kind of $$ you get ($1,800), I'll offer mine for sale, with the carrying case, USB external floppy, and more goodies.

I know it just ain't gonna happen........