Graphics Card Recommendations Please

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am building a new Hack soon and I would like some recommendations... I've been looking at this one. Can anyone tell me whether it would work? Or alternatively two of these in SLI mode. Anyone know whether it would work? I'm looking for some cards quite a lot quicker than my current 6800GT but also to kick some backside in Windows games... for little cash. If both would work, which one would be better to get? Does anyone know whether identical SLI cards work in OS X?

Thanks a lot guys!

SLI does not work in OSX (period)

Anyway, if it worked, single card is always better choice rather than SLI mode, when we are talking about mid/lowend graphic adapters.

Thanks for your answer! I was just following NVidia's propaganda of "SLI saves you money - buy two slower adapters and you get the same performance as the high end card..." sort of thing.

But how come it doesn't work - I thought SLI was managed by the BIOS...? Is there any way I could USE SLI in Windows but only have one card working in OS X without plugging it out of course?

I thought the new Mac Pros used SLI... or am I talking {censored}?

Thanks man.

SLI does not work in OSX (period)

Anyway, if it worked, single card is always better choice rather than SLI mode, when we are talking about mid/lowend graphic adapters.

I've been using a 7600GS 256mb by inno3D, both AGP and now PCI-E. For the money, about £35 on ebay, they take some beating. More than adeuate for my needs in OSX, but also run BIO Shock & Oblivion really well in Win XP so my kids tell me.

Dead easy to install in 10.5.1 by using the Natit Gfnvidia driver on the Kalyway disk it worked fully from first boot.

The best short profile is: XFX6200 nVidia

The best normal height is: nVidia 7900GS

Why would you want a DX9 card, and why a GS, when GT can be had for cheap? Best deal, the ati HD2900PRO, same core as XT; the catalyst drivers will automatically OC it past XT level. Slower than 8800GT, but faster than 8800(320)GTS, for about 2/3 the price. You get 8800 performance for an 8600 price. Good luck finding some as you need the 512bit not 256bit (much worse) card. best of all 100% OS X compatible.

I'm not going to settle for anything less than a 8800GT I will be doing a lot of gaming on the windows side. So far I have decided on this, haven't bought anything yet though.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16814130319

I decided on this one because of the results on Tom's Hardware and price. It seems to be very high end and a lot less expensive then the next few cards which are better.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16814130319

(Use the drop down box and switch to > overall FPS for best judgment when choosing a card)

However shopping for an 8800GT on newegg proved difficult, there are TONS of models by different manufacturers and everything, so good luck in that department :P I'm still not even sure if I chose the best one for my money. All I know is that it's third from the top for best graphics cards because of the factory over clocking. Sill not sure if it would just be better to get one or two models down and over clock it myself.

Anyway, hope that helped and didn't confuse you more. :P