Best motherboard for Leopard

Andrea3000

34 posts in this topic

Hi to all,

I'm going to by a new pc that will be equipped with leopard (I'll install it from the retail dvd because i think that is the cleanest way, right?)

I'm looking for the most compatible motherboard socket 775 (with medium-high performance) that allow me to install leopard without nearly any patches, that boot, reboot, shut down and sleep without any problem and that gives me full 5.1 audio support (that is very important to me).

I have already read all the hardware compatibility list but the audio 5.1 support isn't specified and i would like to have your opinion.

Thanks and sorry for my english!

i think the intel bad axe should work well. it did with tiger.

you're going to have to do a TON of work to install from the retail DVD. Go with iATKOS or Kalyway release.

I found a guide on how to install retail dvd and it doesn't seem to be so hard (even if I haven't any code experience)...am I missing something?

So do you think that bad axe has 5.1 analog audio on leopard?

The P5W is not ok for me because, due to my speakers, I need analog audio output, not optical

Thanks to all!

Bad Axe Specs:

Features Benefits Form Factor ATX (12.00 inches by 9.60 inches [304.80 millimeters by 243.84 millimeters]) Processor bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor^ in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor^ in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition (in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 or 800 MHz system bus) bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology† (in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus) bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Pentium® D Processor (in an LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus) bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology† (in an LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus) bullet_gray.gifView all supported processors ATI* CrossFire* Multi-GPU Platform Support ATI CrossFire technology enables two ATI graphics cards to work together for ultimate 3D gaming performance and visual quality Memory bullet_gray.gifFour 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets bullet_gray.gifSupport for 667 and 533 MHz DDR2 DIMMs bullet_gray.gifSupport for up to 8 GB of system memory bullet_gray.gifSupport for ECC and non-ECC memory Chipset Intel® 975X Express Chipset I/O Control Legacy I/O controller for diskette drive, serial, parallel, and PS/2* ports Audio Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem LAN Support Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using the Intel® 82573E/82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller Peripheral Interfaces bullet_gray.gifEight USB 2.0 ports bullet_gray.gifOne serial port bullet_gray.gifOne parallel port bullet_gray.gifFour Serial ATA interfaces with RAID support (four additional interfaces available with optional discrete RAID controller) bullet_gray.gifOne parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support bullet_gray.gifOne diskette drive interface bullet_gray.gifPS/2 keyboard and mouse ports Expansion Capabilities bullet_gray.gifTwo PCI Conventional bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to both PCI Conventional bus add-in card connectors) bullet_gray.gifOne Primary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x16 or x8) bus add-in card connector bullet_gray.gifOne Secondary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x8) bus add-in card connector bullet_gray.gifOne PCI Express* x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card connector

pulled from intel.com.

...you're going to have to do a TON of work to install from the retail DVD. Go with iATKOS or Kalyway release.

Installing PC EFI and a few kexts is not "a TON of work". :D

Bad Axe Specs:

Features Benefits Form Factor ATX (12.00 inches by 9.60 inches [304.80 millimeters by 243.84 millimeters]) Processor bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor^ in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor^ in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition (in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 or 800 MHz system bus) bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology† (in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus) bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Pentium® D Processor (in an LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus) bullet_gray.gifSupport for Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology† (in an LGA775 socket with a 800 MHz system bus) bullet_gray.gifView all supported processors ATI* CrossFire* Multi-GPU Platform Support ATI CrossFire technology enables two ATI graphics cards to work together for ultimate 3D gaming performance and visual quality Memory bullet_gray.gifFour 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets bullet_gray.gifSupport for 667 and 533 MHz DDR2 DIMMs bullet_gray.gifSupport for up to 8 GB of system memory bullet_gray.gifSupport for ECC and non-ECC memory Chipset Intel® 975X Express Chipset I/O Control Legacy I/O controller for diskette drive, serial, parallel, and PS/2* ports Audio Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem LAN Support Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem using the Intel® 82573E/82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller Peripheral Interfaces bullet_gray.gifEight USB 2.0 ports bullet_gray.gifOne serial port bullet_gray.gifOne parallel port bullet_gray.gifFour Serial ATA interfaces with RAID support (four additional interfaces available with optional discrete RAID controller) bullet_gray.gifOne parallel ATA IDE interface with UDMA 33, ATA-66/100 support bullet_gray.gifOne diskette drive interface bullet_gray.gifPS/2 keyboard and mouse ports Expansion Capabilities bullet_gray.gifTwo PCI Conventional bus add-in card connectors (SMBus routed to both PCI Conventional bus add-in card connectors) bullet_gray.gifOne Primary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x16 or x8) bus add-in card connector bullet_gray.gifOne Secondary PCI Express* x16 (electrical x8) bus add-in card connector bullet_gray.gifOne PCI Express* x16 (electrical x4) bus add-in card connector

pulled from intel.com.

Ok, but...will the 3 analog output be recognized by leopard? So I can have a 5.1 audio output with it? Sorry if it's already explained in what you posted....I don't find it :D

well, i don´t have sound on my badaxe2 under leopard. there is still no codec dump for my sigmatel STAC9274D. maybe you will do not have the same stac chipset on your board, cause there are different versions of this chip on the badaxe2 e.g.9200..

the board works excellent with efi and iatkos...

i hope, the next step will be the native support from intel for this board for efi framework. :-)) i think intel wants to switch slowly to efi (they are doing it for 20 years:-) ). a possible moment will be the vista sp1 e.g. this spring. by the way, this board has something like efi framework support.

apoo

hello all!

I want to buy a new Mb too. mine doesnt work at all!!

Im relly interested in this post too!

the sound its no so important for me 2.1 its ok. but I wold like to spent

not to much money. the big thing is be able to install as clean as possible and

keep the compatibility for future updates... is this possible?

is this the best chice: GA-945GCMX-S2??

opinions are very wellcome!!

thanks to all!!!

sorry for my bad english...

Hi,

I also want to buy a new Motherboard. I want to go for the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3, P35 (dual PC2-6400U DDR2). Can anyone confirm me that this one will fully work with leopard? And is anyone using a geforce 6800 ultra with leopard?

mfg

Basti

well, i don´t have sound on my badaxe2 under leopard. there is still no codec dump for my sigmatel STAC9274D. maybe you will do not have the same stac chipset on your board, cause there are different versions of this chip on the badaxe2 e.g.9200..

i hope, the next step will be the native support from intel for this board for efi framework. :-)) i think intel wants to switch slowly to efi (they are doing it for 20 years:-) ). a possible moment will be the vista sp1 e.g. this spring. by the way, this board has something like efi framework support.

apoo

I have read that the bad axe 2 is a great motherboard but I know that having 5.1 audio with it it's impossible for now...so I have to look around for other solutions...can someone confirm his 5.1 audio supporting and post the name of the motherboard?

Thank you for the replies!

I have read that the bad axe 2 is a great motherboard but I know that having 5.1 audio with it it's impossible for now...so I have to look around for other solutions...can someone confirm his 5.1 audio supporting and post the name of the motherboard?

Thank you for the replies!

No one can help me?

Do you have to use the onboard sound ?

you can get the cheapest usb or firewire audio interface that suport 5.1 ....

there is your easiest and quickest yet the least but not the most expensive solution.

As long as it is a usb or firewire device OSX will use it without any problems ( worst case install manifacturer drivers )

It takes me about 25 Minutes to install a native Leopard on a new harddisk with EFI and the changed kexts, so its really not much work.

See my signature for what i have - its nearly perfect (sleep/reboot/poweroff issuas as usual with 10.5.1).

apoo

I don't have the url at my fingertips, but the stac codec for Taruga's patch for the 9274D has been around forever. Most of us who've have this board have had sound for quite awhile. The only thing not working (as in most cases) is mic in.

Do you have to use the onboard sound ?

you can get the cheapest usb or firewire audio interface that suport 5.1 ....

there is your easiest and quickest yet the least but not the most expensive solution.

As long as it is a usb or firewire device OSX will use it without any problems ( worst case install manifacturer drivers )

Using the onboard sound would be better for me...is external audio interface the only solution that I have? No one made 5.1 analog audio working on leopard? How can be possible?

Your best bet is to read here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

If 5.1 is important, find in that thread the audio controllers successfully patched at that spec. Make sure you browse the codec repository. Then find a workable board with that controller.

For the record, I built a great Leo box with an off-the-shelf HP machine from Circuit City (see sig). It has ALC888S controller that when patched gives me 7.1 and S/PDIF I/O (I use the S/PDIF). The only thing that doesn't work is the onboard NIC, but Ethernet is an easy substitute. Just plan ahead.

My install guide is here and would apply to any machine with the same hardware:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74964

Your best bet is to read here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

If 5.1 is important, find in that thread the audio controllers that have been successfully patched at that spec, then find a workable board with that controller.

For the record, I built a great Leo box with an off-the-shelf HP machine from Circuit City (see sig). It has ALC888S controller that when patched gives me 7.1 and S/PDIF I/O (I use the S/PDIF). The only thing that doesn't work is the onboard NIC, but Ethernet is an easy substitute. Just plan ahead.

My install guide is here and would apply to any machine with the same hardware:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=74964

Does it give you 7.1 even on analog output or only on S/PDIF?