IATKOS on TOSHIBA SATELLITE issues

goatchild

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've successfully installed IATKOS on my laptop. However, there are some issues that I'd like to discuss, so I can solve them.

Characteristics of the Toshiba Satellite L40-15G Notebook

Model: Toshiba Satellite L40-15G

Reference: PSL48E-01T00GPT

Technology/Processor: Mobile Technology Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core 2310, (1.46 GHz), 533 Mhz Front Side Bus, 1 MB level 2 cache, Intel® GL960 chipset

Monitor: 15.4" WXGA panoramic TFT

Internal Video Mode: 16.7 million colours, resolution 1280x800

Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. 80 GB, SATA (5400rpm), Enhanced IDE

Memory: 512+512 MB DDR2 (667Mhz) RAM, expandable to 3072 MB/4096 MB

Optical Drive: DVD Super-Multi Double Layer (all recording formats: DVD-R/RW, +-R(DL)/+RW and DVD-RAM)

Graphics: Adapter Intel® GMA X3100 (up to 256MB shared)

Communications: 10/100 Base-TX, Ethernet LAN, RJ-45, Azalia 56Kbps V.90 built-in Modem, (V.92 ready), 14.4Kbps Fax, RJ-11

Wi-Fi Communications: Realtek 802.11(b/g) 13ch-RTL8187B, (WiFi compatible)

Audio System: 16-bit stereo with built-in stereo speakers

Interfaces: 1x headphones, 1x microphone, 1x DC input, 1x external monitor, 1x RJ-45, 1x RJ-11, 3x USB 2.0

Expansion: 1x PC Card (Express card), 2x memory slots (0 to configure)

Battery: Lithium ion, maximum stand-by 2.0 hours (Mobile Mark™)

Software included: Toshiba Management Console, On-line User Manual, Toshiba ConfigFree™, Toshiba utilities and drivers, Toshiba DVD, Connectivity Doctor

Special features: Slot for Kensington Security cable, Boot Pen drive USB

Dimensions: (LxWxT) and Weight 365 x 269.5 x 35.3/36.8 mm; weight: 2.75 Kg

ISSUES:

- Realtek wifi card is not recognized as Airport card.

- To successfully boot from HD with IATKOS installed, I must disable multi-core support in the BIOS. I'm, therefore, using only 1 CPU, when I should be using the 2.

- The Operative System takes too long to boot, about 3 minutes or so.

- I tried to install Windows, but now I can't seem to do it. Windows does not recognize the Hard Drive. So now I can only have Mac OS X. This happens even if I make a partition formated to Windows installation (NTFS; FAT32).

- I also tried bootcamp, but when I launch this application, it tells me firmware does not allow this operation, or something like that (something to do with the EFI emulation?)

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

I have the same laptop. Can you please tell me how the hell did you boot the installation DVD?

I've been searching every kind of forums and trying almost everything (bios options and booting switches), but nothing works :)

By the way... if you want to install Windows XP, you must have SATA drivers so the installation can find your disk.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there.

I have the same laptop. Can you please tell me how the hell did you boot the installation DVD?

I've been searching every kind of forums and trying almost everything (bios options and booting switches), but nothing works :(

By the way... if you want to install Windows XP, you must have SATA drivers so the installation can find your disk.

Thanks in advance.

Tens que usar a primeira versão do IATKOS (v1.0) e não a segunda (v1.0 ir2).

Tens que escolher o DVD para o boot na BIOS. Desactiva o multicore support (só podes ter 1 cpu a funcionar). Depois vai aparecer uma contagem decrescente carrega no enter, e escreve:

-v.

Boa sorte

• 2 months later...

hi.

same laptop, managed to solve the long boot time by replacing some of the iatkos kexts with kalyways kexts. this "kext-pack" can be found here in insanelymac forums, just search kalyway_kexts.zip. With these, my system starts up in less than 35 seconds.

the integrated wifi card wont be recognised as an airport device, but as an another ethernet interface.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

um, could you put the answer to how you got the cd to boot in english please? iv really got to work on my languages. :wallbash: im having the same problem with my toshiba pc. i cant boot from the cd. i get a no operating system found error. ( sorry if this is off topic, i dont know where to ask it.)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys: The rough translation is that you should disable the MultiCore option in the Bios set up. This seems to be a regular feature in Toshiba. I have a Qosmio G35-AV650 and had the same problem. Get in the BIOS (F2) disable multicore, save and Install. I didnt try to set CPUS=1 before installing, but you could try it. After installation, enable again the multicore, if you get PANIC and reboot and set a kernel flag (F8 or com.apple.boot.plist) for CPUS=1.

Now a rather friendly comment. Ive installed Kalyway in 5 different machines, 2 Toshibas, 2 other laptos and 1 Desktop clone. It works, its fast, very little if any problem. I did try ATKIOS and could not install it. Leo4All was also very slow installing. Why dont you give it a shot. :)

BTW, realtek wifi works in Kalyway you just need to change the div and pid in the realtek kext. If you dont know what im talking about, read a lot so you can get a grip of these type of problems and help yourself. This forum is a "volunteer¨ one, and Id rather say its more a ¨reference¨formun since when you need help its very very unlikely you get direct help, so READ, SEARCH and you will understand by the many posts and their experiences.

Cheers.

ok. so i set the bios so that multi core processing is off. and i still get the operating system not found error. i switched to a kalaway cd and i still get the same error. the reason why im trying to put leopard on my pc is because vista crashed. i tried to restore the hard drive and its always gotten to about eighty percent done, and then it cannot continue. so right now i dont have anything on the drive except the corrupt files. im wondering if i need to totaly wipe the drive before it will install corectly? another cause would be because i might not have burned the dvd correctly. what i did to burn it was i took the kalaway files and copied them to the dvd. is this the right way? i want to get my computer working again so i dont get viruses on it and so it doesnt crash. so leopard really apeals to me. all help is really apreciated......

AnotherGeoff, it looks like (for now) your problem has got nothing to do with multi core support.

I don't know about vista, but it sounds like you didn't burn your Kalyway DVD correctly. Just download UltraISO (for example), then right-click the ISO file and burn it at low speed.

Good luck.

• 5 months later...
Guys: The rough translation is that you should disable the MultiCore option in the Bios set up. This seems to be a regular feature in Toshiba. I have a Qosmio G35-AV650 and had the same problem. Get in the BIOS (F2) disable multicore, save and Install. I didnt try to set CPUS=1 before installing, but you could try it. After installation, enable again the multicore, if you get PANIC and reboot and set a kernel flag (F8 or com.apple.boot.plist) for CPUS=1.

Now a rather friendly comment. Ive installed Kalyway in 5 different machines, 2 Toshibas, 2 other laptos and 1 Desktop clone. It works, its fast, very little if any problem. I did try ATKIOS and could not install it. Leo4All was also very slow installing. Why dont you give it a shot. :tomato:

BTW, realtek wifi works in Kalyway you just need to change the div and pid in the realtek kext. If you dont know what im talking about, read a lot so you can get a grip of these type of problems and help yourself. This forum is a "volunteer¨ one, and Id rather say its more a ¨reference¨formun since when you need help its very very unlikely you get direct help, so READ, SEARCH and you will understand by the many posts and their experiences.

Cheers.

whats the difference between the flag CPUS=1 and turning the multiprocessors off

i would really like to have all core working

any help on which is best.......or if there's a fix for it after installation

i still havent even got to the welcome installation screen

been getting a blue screen

just before the welcome installation screen

i've already disabled the multi-processor core

i need to know the flag that lets it boot into safe mode to avoid the intel gma kexts