Gigabyte tech support

socal swimmer

4 posts in this topic

so I have been having this problem where I overclock in BIOS, but it continues to register at stock speeds in CPU-Z, OS X, and in all benchmarks.

Here is my conversation with tech support:

me:

I recently tried to overclock. I set the CPU to 400 MHz * 8, with a 2.0 RAM multiplier. I double checked everything, then restarted. However, when I ran benchmarks, It showed me at stock speeds still. Several different benchmarks confirmed this. My benchmarks are still reading the same speeds as before I overclocked. So, why does BIOS report one thing whereas the OS and benchmarks report something else? CIA2 is disabled, and Performance Enhance is standard.

him:

During the initial post bios should be able to detect the speed, what does it detect it as and how about system information under Windows?

me:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Under "Motherboard intelligent Tweaker", it detects it at the proper speed. Everything in windows (system information included) detects it as stock.

him:

If bios detects the correct speed it should be correct at that particular speed, the software does not appear to be reading it correctly

me (grrrr):

So my benchmarks are reading it innaccurately? My prime95 benchmarks speeds match up exactly with a processor AT STOCK SPEEDS due to something being misread?

I have an e6750. At stock speeds (2.66GHz), it registers .0130seconds for a certain prime95 test. At 3.2GHz, it registers .0111 seconds. Now, when BIOS says that I am at 3.2GHz, prime95 is reading .0130seconds. i.e. stock speeds.

In case you do not know what a benchmark is, I will explain it to you. The software runs an operation (in this case calculating a large exponent), and times it. Then, it converts that time into a score (or in the case of prime95, just gives you that time). There is no such thing as a benchmark "misreading" the speed of your computer, because all it is doing is seeing how long it takes to do something.

XBench: 154 at stock, 187 at 3.2GHz. The BIOS is telling me I am at 3.2GHz, but I am getting 154.

By the way, it worked once. When it worked, everything was detected correctly. This is how I got the overclocked benchmark scores. However, I inevitably put a setting too high, and when it wouldn't boot all the way, I pressed the reset button (not the power button). When I pressed the reset button on my computer, this problem began.

If it was simply one application misreading it, I could understand. However, it is prime95, XBench, Geekbench (32 bit), and CPU-Z. It is impossible that every single one (or even one benchmark) is "misreading" the processor.

lol.

BTW, when you start your machine (an when you have disabled the Gigabyte Boot Screen in Bios so you can see the BIOS working, testing your RAM, detecting Harddrives and so on...) you can see the speed of your CPU on the very beginning on the nearly top right. You have to be fast to read it.

That doesnt halp with your problem. Maybe a BIOS update will fix that?