kalyway 10.5.1 install hangs at language selection screen

justyntime

15 posts in this topic

So I boot from DVD and it loads all the way up to when the GUI first appears. The language selection screen. I click continue and the DVD stops responding. Then the curser turns into the beachball and spins until the end of time. I have burned a second DVD at 2x and still get the same thing. I searched but cant find any similar posts. Any ideas?

Yeah same problem here, it starts up no switches during the install and (although it takes a while), it gets to the language selection screen, clicking anything on the screen causes the beachball to come up and it does infact sit there til the end of time. This particular problem sucks big time cause theres almost no way to get an error message out of it. Anybody have any ideas?

Perhaps you two should boot with the installation DVD in -v mode and post the results or do a forum search for errors you encounter. It's possible that something will appear as messed up before the GUI loads. Also, I'd check your BIOS settings. You should also post your system specs.

How do you post the results...? Wel I suppose as long as the pause button works...

But is there a list of command line switches you can use with the kalyway dvd? I'll just try a whole bunch of different things in the meantime to see if any of those can get it going.

This is on a Samsung Q1 Ultra, btw.

Hey,

Same problem here... at the language selection I even get a black overlay saying, in every language, to shut down my computer !?.

I actually think this has something to do with my graphics card, it's an GeForce 8800 GTS.

What kind do you guys have?

(This card costed me an arm and a leg, and it only gave me a lot of trouble :) )

found that if I let it sit at the language selection screen for about an hour it will move on to the terms agreement pop up but then it sits there forever. I let it sit overnight on that screen and it never moved.

Dell inspiron 9300

Pentium M 2.0ghz

2GB RAM

ATI X300

same here, though i can start the installer, but at some point in the installation it will just stop working (=freeze). like if i use disk utility it will freeze there after about 2-3 minutes, if i skip this step it will get to the accept button but then freeze.

i have no clue whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I was browsing the posts here and noticed this issue. I had the same problem also. I clicked on english and then clicked the arrow to go to the next screen. I got hung there and had to reboot. So....on the next time when the PC booted i pressed F8 and chose to have it show me the diagonostic messages. When it finished loading and I was at the Language screen. I DID NOT CLICK a single language because english is default. I just clicked the Arrow and it went right through!

I just thought I would share that.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Had the same issue, adjusting bios settings. I though that by disabling will fix it, actually the other way - by enabling all NIC, wireless, serial ports, parallel ports, etc. fixed this issue - play with your BIOS!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I messed with this on a dell latitude d810 for days until I enabled speedstep in the bios. Since then I've been able to move on with the installation.

I tried enabling / disabling every device and found that everything enabled seemed to fix this.

Keep in mind this is a laptop.

Best of luck.

C