OSX86 + PS3 = A Beautiful Friendship? Possibly?

DreadSukei

8 posts in this topic

I am pretty much adapting several different guides that can be found on the net for this.

Ok. This involves using a Live CD of the most recent Linux distro. )I believe it is Gutsy Gibbon, not sure.)

I plan on mounting the 10.4.8 JAS build of OSX86 onto a thumb drive, then booting into the Live CD. From there I plan on mounting the image to the HDD and installing it from there.

Now, I guarantee no chances of success, but only wish to prove a POC.

Now, feel free to flame me, do whatever. Just before you do, tell me my chances of success, AND/OR if this has already been tried and failed.

from what i know the archutecture for the ps3 wont allow this, the HDD cant be have partitions mapped properly and also the incompatability with ps3 hardware.. like its 6? cores for instance

ubuntu works on it tho, but i dunno.. There will be away to do it eventualy i think.. the brains of people around here are absolutely outstanding... some of the things they come up with simply amaze

best thing to do is never give up no matter how frsstrating something gets keep faffing on with it eventualy u will get there

Yes, at BEST, you'd have to hack the PPC version of OS X to run on a PS3 since the Cell is somewhat PPC-based (but still quite different, though may support PPC instruction sets). Or, you'd have to have a P4/Core CPU emulator w/ at least SSE2 support already working on a PS3...maybe VMWare can make it! ;-) I wonder if the Linux VMWare virtualization software will run on PS3 Linux, then you can have a PS3 running Linux, running VMWare w/ an OS X install...at the speed of a slower G3 Mac!

Yes, I actually like that idea best. However, recompiling the PPC version of tiger for the Cell processor may be worth looking into. >.> If anybody else wishes to add some commentary to this thread, feel free. I'll check up on it regularly. I'm now making this my mission. o_o

• 5 months later...

Yellow Dog, a Linux distribution, uses in its version 6 a multi PPC core that runs flawlessly in both regular Apple Computers and Sony PS3 Game Stations. Just check its web page.

Maybe this helps.

well, we can rule out OSX86, but not OS X( the title says osx86 + PS3, but PS3 is PPC)

The first step in ANY version of OS X to be running if possible at all is deving a bootloader (otheros.bld) without a bootloader, you really can't start OS X.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt any adaptation of the PPC OS X is gonna happen since PPC is practically a dead architecture (even the Fedora devs are thinking about dropping it).

Its probably gonna be a crappy OS X on linux emulation kinda scheme. fastest we r gonna get is 300mhz.

Its too bad though, would have been a great thing to see!