iCal crash with Kalyway

xambrosi

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I successfully installed the kalyway distrib (leopard) on my thinkpad T43. Everything works ok expect iCal that crashes when i launch it.

Do someone have the same problem ?

Is there a way to fix it ?

Thank you for your help

Xavier

Xambrosi, I have a spare T43 and a Kalyway 1.5.1 DVD, so I was going to install it and try to work your problem (way too much free time on my hands). BUT, I can't get the installer to load. It hangs on a blue screen no matter what I try. I have Kalyway Leopard installed on a T60 no problem, but no luck with the T43.

How did you get it to install? if I can get it up and running, I can try to play work the iCal issue.

spamdumpster, I found that if the power cable is unplugged, the installer hangs after the language selection.

Otherwise I just follow the procedure given with the dvd.

Did you try with the power cable plugged ?

thank you for your help

xavier

I finally got it installed, although it only boots about once every 5 times I try (I think I have to press F8 and type -x -v to get it to boot, otherwise I just get a blue screen). Unfortunately, I'm getting the iCal error as well -- it tries to load, actually shows the iCal screen for a second, but then crashes.

I also have to force a MAC address correction every time I boot; otherwise my MAC address shows as 00:00:00:00:00:00 and I can't connect to my LAN.

I'll keep playing with it.

hello,

I can't test time machine because currently I have no external disk available.

It's seems that the Apple DVD player does not work. The error message is "No video device available"

The sound card is also not recognized. Did you succeed to install it ?

Thank you for your help

Xavier

I installed from the flat image and I am having the same problem with iCal. Nothing I have tried will get it to keep running. I'm having random crashes with some other apps as well--I can'r run the ministore in iTunes, nor can I sync my iPhone with it, because it goes belly up as soon as I try. This is on a machine that ran Tiger quite reliably.

My graphic card is not recognized so quartz extrem is disabled. Some features are not available like cover flow in iTunes or DVD player and i suspect that it's because QE is disabled.

Do you think that iCal uses QE ressources and that 'QE disabled' is the root cause of my iCal crash ?

My graphic card is not recognized so quartz extrem is disabled. Some features are not available like cover flow in iTunes or DVD player and i suspect that it's because QE is disabled.

Do you think that iCal uses QE ressources and that 'QE disabled' is the root cause of my iCal crash ?

I was hoping so, but no, because I got my nVidia 6800 Go working again (had the same issue as user above - 10.4.8 worked at first, but had some sort of leak that killed it after a lot of network throughput, and 10.5.1 has random app crashes). Graphics are working great again, but iCal still crashes with a "segmentation fault" showing up as the only Console error-text.

This sucks, I was really relying on iCal, but because of incompatibilities with Google Cal, was going to change. Now I have to without getting to see if 10.5's iCal is better.

And somehow I gotta port my 6 iCal calendars to Google or whatever. ugh.

• 4 weeks later...

Getting the same problem here: iCal, Chess, iWeb crash when I start them. Also, a few programs are prone to crashing: iPhoto, Garageband, etc.

For background, I run an SSE2 (non-vanilla) installation of Kalyway's image, QE not yet enabled (Intel 915GM chipset).

How do you access the error log, so I can tell you guys what's the source of the problems on my side?

• 2 months later...

i'm using kalyway 10.5.2 on amd sse2 w ci and qe working geforce6600

dvd player and adress book work

iCal does not.. not even with rosetta which actually gets it to crash faster

All those apps work fine on my Gateway laptop, except ical looks like it's running ok, but will not give the notifications consistently. After checking the rosetta box, the notifications started working normally.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I reinstalled iATKOS (previously 10.5.2 Kaly) in my Gateway using the latest v4i version with both stock files and vanilla kernel which gave me the 9.4 kernel. I was pleasantly surprised that ical now works without Rosetta, and is much faster. We'll see if the notifications work as reliably, without Rosetta. The other thing I changed was my wireless card from the Realtek to a Dell 1490 so I get airport now instead of the 3rd party driver, BUT the change in en0 caused Time Machine to not recognize the external drive. Everything else works the same, although transferring my iphoto library copied at TWICE THE SPEED back to my new install. Maybe that's due to the GUID partition now vs. the previous MBR, and overall the experience is snappier!