Common Information

socal swimmer

6 posts in this topic

I am tired of all the noob posts. So, I decided to compile a list of common mistakes (and solutions), along with tips, and information. If you have something to add, post here and I will add it.

How to search effectively:

OSx86 Search Engine. Or, you can use google and add "insanelymac" to the end. However, the OSx86 search engine is more effective (it uses google, and has the urls of all the major osx86 sites added already....

If you feel like watching loading pages and error messages, then use the builtin search feature.

If you find a solution to a problem you are having, through searching or otherwise, don't just automatically do whatever it is saying. First, make sure that the solution is relevant. For example, in the solution to the "com.apple.boot.plist not found" problem, it talks about JMicron/unsupported ATA devices. If you are having this problem but you know that you ATA device is supported, then this is not the solution for you. I made my computer unbootable for 3 days because I did not properly read a certain "solution".

General Information:

So first, you need to figure out if your system (or planned build) is compatible. Instead of posting a thread asking, and waiting a day for a reply, and making people angry, or getting ignored, you should find out yourself. The easiest way to do this is to use the search engine I mentioned (plug in your computer name, or plug in each part (mobo, gfx card, etc) in separately). Also, click on "OSx86 Project" in the top right and go to the HCL (Hardware Compatibilty List) to check for compatibility.

Here are two good buying guides: Motherboard guide, and Video Card guide

The CPU: AMD is harder to do than intel, but it still works. You must have SSE2 or SSE3 instruction sets. Use CPUID (CPU-Z) in windows to find out.

Once you know you are compatible, then you must install Leopard (or tiger, but I will talk about leopard since its what I did).

Here are the various install options:

BrazilMac: what I did. This is really the best option, imo, because you support the people that wrote the operating system, and it is the "old fashioned" do it yourself (sorta) way. Basically, you buy the original retail dvd, and patch it. Then, you burn it and install from there. Pros: small (30MB) download, you feel good about buying Leopard, good driver support (for nearly everything) out of box, patch is easy. Cons: SSE3 intel cpus only.

ToH: support for SSE2 and AMD(?). Cons: large download (4GB).

Kalyway: probably one of the most popular installs, easy, great driver support, possibly SSE2 SSE3 support, all PowerPC code removed, so its much smaller (2GB download, 6GB installed vs 4/11 for all others) Cons: you don't learn as much in the process (is this a con?), large download (2GB)

iATKOS: idk, just another installer....

So find a guide (most come with one) by using the search feature, or learn how to do it yourself (rtfm).

If you have any problems, try again (twice). If it still happens, search. If you absolutely cannot find anything, then, and only then, do you make a thread.

If your hardware is new enough, you should definitely install efi.

EFI bootloader on pc (pc_efi) explanation

The main reason why you can't simply install OS X (unmodified) on a regular Pc is that macs use EFI to initialize the hardware at startup, and PCs use BIOS. Use google if you want to learn more. pc_efi is this magical thing that replaces the darwin bootloader, and uses bios calls to initialize the hardware and pass correct addresses of hardware to the operating system, in a way that the operating system thinks it is using efi. If you install pc_efi, you can use Software Update to update your OS without it breaking your install, and you can use the vanilla (normal, unmodified, retail) kernel, and most vanilla kexts (kernel extensions, provide driver support for stuff).

If you don't install efi, then do NOT use software update to update the OS. You must instead download a hacked kernel every time there is an update.

Other background info on booting darwin/x86

Common Problems/Solutions:

List of Problems/solutions:

"Verifying DMI Pool Data" hang:

can't find com.Apple.boot.plist

Kernel Panic at startup (gray screen of death)

How to install a kext

"Package 0 didn't get an HPET"

temperature monitor (osx86 support)

Install Guides for various motherboards:

"Verifying DMI Pool Data" hang:

-the hard drive is not bootable. If you have pc_efi installed, This means that you screwed up the pc_efi part. Go back run the EFI Shell script, carefully checking for errors. However, this error generally means that the hard drive is not bootable by bios, for one reason or another. searches are good.

can't find com.Apple.boot.plist (or something like that)

- this is common, so do a search with your mobo or computer information

Kernel Panic at startup (gray screen of death, it tells you to hold down the power button to restart)

-restart, and as the Hard Drive starts to boot, hit F8 to get boot options. type "-v" and <press enter>. take a picture of the result, and try to figure out what is causing the kernel panic. When I did this, I noticed that something called com.apple.driver.EFIRuntime was causing the kernel panic. Based on this, i had to delete AppleEFIRuntime.kext. However, if this happens to you, you must figure out exactly what is causing the problem. It could be a kext that you installed, or something else.

How To install a kext

a kext is a kernel extension, and it provides driver support (for hardware or other stuff).

boot into single user mode by mashing F8 to enter boot options at startup, and typing "-s" and enter. then, when its done loading, type the commands it tells you to mount the filesystem. otherwise, you can only read stuff.

if you are replacing (updating, changing) a kext, it is a good idea to make a backup of the old one:

cd /System/Library/Extensions <press enter>

mv theKext.kext theKext.kext.post <press enter>

Now to install the new kext:

cd /FolderWithNewKext <press enter>

cp -R theNewKext.kext /System/Library/Extensions <press enter>

cd /System/Library/Extensions <press enter>

chmod -R 755 theNewKext.kext <press enter>

chown -R root:wheel theNewKext.kext <press enter>

cd .. <press enter>

rm -rf Extensions.mkext <press enter>

temperature monitor:

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

hackintosh compatible, disable hard drive sensor because it prevents sleep, and wears out your hard drive

Install Guides for various motherboards:

there are so many guides out there, that looking through the tutorials forum will probably find you a guide. If that doesn't work, then search for one. If you really can't find one, then use the generic install guide for whatever method you chose. Also, you could try using a guide for another motherboard as a general template, but if you do this, make sure you understand what you are doing.

GA P35-DS3P- Full Install Guide

GA P35-DQ6- Guide

GA 965-DS3- Full guide

Intel Bad Axe 2 (D975XBX2)- Full Walkthrough

MSN P6N SLI-FI- Guide, should work for other nforce 6 boards

Nice guide so far, and I certainly hope it gets stickied. As an experienced user around these parts, I've used quite a few of these solutions, in their various forms.

Few things though: Cant find com.apple.Boot.plist is most likely related to the jmicron ATA drivers/unsupported ATA drivers that many people have, especially with the P35 series board, the solution to this problem is obnoxious although easy, in that you basically have to go out and buy a SATA CD-ROM. If your hard drive is on the same ATA controller, you'll have to go out and buy a SATA HDD, unfortunately those are the options.

Second thing I noticed, is that it might be wise to beware of giving one specific fix for the kernel panic on boot, while you and I may realize that the EFI Runtime panic was system specific, others may see that post, quickly skim through it for the bash command, without realizing that the specific file may not be causing the problem and then deleting a file needlessly. I can't tell you how many times I did that when I first joined and learned the hard way to read posts fully when suddenly I had more problems than I started with.

On one last note, and this is completely a blanket statement and completely not specific to your post, for anyone who actually takes the time to read this, please please please go out and buy a copy of Leopard/Tiger if you're planning on creating a hackint0sh pc. Kalyway and Brazilmac have done a great job on creating various patched versions that we can eventually use on our PCs, but if you really like the OS, just go out an buy it, and learn to install it the old fashion way with Brazilmac's original patch. You support the writers of the original software this way and get the good ol' hackint0sh feel on the PC that we all know and have come to love. (With a little bit of frustration and angst on the side from trying to get it working after so many tries!)

Anyways I commend you on your guide and I hope you keep it updated.

Well-meaning though it is, such threads inevitably are the roots of their own failiure, as they attempt to summarise an entire forum in 1 thread, which is an impossible task.

Additionally, they tend to be written by those with more enthusiasm than expertise, so whilst, for instance, the jmicron controller is a possible contributing factor in com.Apple.boot.plist not found errors, it is only 1 of over a dozen possible causes, and suggesting just one actually does more harm than help.

The only way to truly solve it is to understand the underlying mechanisms that actually cause the error, rather than looking for a quick fix.

For a really useful post, a well-formed guide to the darwin bootloader, and how to install it manually in its various guises is needed. *That* would be worthy of a sticky, but such a thing is hard to write well, as despite the principles being simple, the permutations are many, and making it sufficiently understandable for our poor noobs requires elegant thinking & writing. (this would actually solve a good 50% of the com.... missing errors, in my opinion.)

Rehashing material from this forum, posting it offsite, and linking to it, however, helps no-one.

Hey I went back and edited it. Based on what Hagar said, I realized that I can't possible provide a solution to every (or even many) problems. Therefore, I decided to make the post into more of a guide on how to solve your problems, osx86 style, as well as a general guide on how to install.

Also, I will add info on how to add kexts.

Well-meaning though it is, such threads inevitably are the roots of their own failiure, as they attempt to summarise an entire forum in 1 thread, which is an impossible task.

Additionally, they tend to be written by those with more enthusiasm than expertise, so whilst, for instance, the jmicron controller is a possible contributing factor in com.Apple.boot.plist not found errors, it is only 1 of over a dozen possible causes, and suggesting just one actually does more harm than help.

The only way to truly solve it is to understand the underlying mechanisms that actually cause the error, rather than looking for a quick fix.

For a really useful post, a well-formed guide to the darwin bootloader, and how to install it manually in its various guises is needed. *That* would be worthy of a sticky, but such a thing is hard to write well, as despite the principles being simple, the permutations are many, and making it sufficiently understandable for our poor noobs requires elegant thinking & writing. (this would actually solve a good 50% of the com.... missing errors, in my opinion.)

Rehashing material from this forum, posting it offsite, and linking to it, however, helps no-one.

As far as the jmicron issue goes with the com.Apple.boot.plist issue, I merely stated that as an alternative to what socialswimmer's original guide mentioned and I clearly stated that it was a "most likely" cause and was commonly seen on the P35 motherboards, never meant it as a blanket statement, and if it was edited into this guide as such I apologize for the lack of clarification.

The bootloader on the other hand is much easier said than done.

• 4 months later...