• Announcements

• Allan

Forum Rules   04/13/2018

Hello folks! As some things are being fixed, we'll keep you updated. Per hour the Forum Rules don't have a dedicated "Tab", so here is the place that we have our Rules back. New Users Lounge > [READ] - InsanelyMac Forum Rules - The InsanelyMac Staff Team. 
Sign in to follow this  
JaE-V

Manually install Darwin Bootloader "?"

18 posts in this topic

After using the carbon copy method to clone my drive i was left without a booting partition. Yes i can boot from the disk using its bootloader and also the older installation with the rd=disk*s* commands, therefore im fully aware its just the bootloader. I found this tutorial here over at osx86scene but its rather not usefull at all written by SynthetiX. Seems like a rather simple process and would be beneficial for all. Thanks in advance!

Did you try booting with TOH RC2 disk and then running the "script.sh LeopardVolName" from/usr/misc folder? That script is suppose to install darwin bootloader on the volume specified.

Did you try booting with TOH RC2 disk and then running the "script.sh LeopardVolName" from/usr/misc folder? That script is suppose to install darwin bootloader on the volume specified.

havent been able to find that usr folder in leo.....but if its that simple im gonna try it

After using the carbon copy method to clone my drive i was left without a booting partition. Yes i can boot from the disk using its bootloader and also the older installation with the rd=disk*s* commands, therefore im fully aware its just the bootloader. I found this tutorial here over at osx86scene but its rather not usefull at all written by SynthetiX. Seems like a rather simple process and would be beneficial for all. Thanks in advance!

This guide is better!

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=209

@Jae-V

i copied all the file you need in the attachment.

and it's known that sata cannot be blessed in the osx nor dvd,

someone said they can do it in linux, i haven't tried that yet,

maybe you can give it a try :D

fixboot.zip

@Jae-V

i copied all the file you need in the attachment.

and it's known that sata cannot be blessed in the osx nor dvd,

someone said they can do it in linux, i haven't tried that yet,

maybe you can give it a try :P

fixboot.zip

i seriously cant find where to put these files lol :)

and im attempting to do this inside of a leopard installation, the first command in the steps posted in the link leaves me with the no such file in directory result

;)

1) Update MBR bootloader and flag partition 1 as bootable:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (change to the disk where the partition you want to activated)

fdisk: 1> update

Machine code updated.

fdisk:*1> f 1

Partition 1 marked active.

fdisk:*1> w

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> q

2) put boot1h at the beginning of the partition: (put it all in the root of your drive)

sudo dd if=/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=1 (change the bold part to the exact partition you want to activated)

3) run startupfiletool (don't know what it does exactly, it somehow embeds boot code into the hfs):

sudo /startupfiletool -v /dev/rdisk0s1 /boot (same as before)

4) bless the partition:

sudo bless -device /dev/disk0s1 -setBoot -verbose (you may not do this successfullly)

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (change to the disk where the partition you want to activated)

Machine code updated.

Writing MBR at offset 0.

2) put boot1h at the beginning of the partition: (put it all in the root of your drive)

sudo dd if=/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=1 (change the bold part to the exact partition you want to activated)

3) run startupfiletool (don't know what it does exactly, it somehow embeds boot code into the hfs):

4) bless the partition:

sudo bless -device /dev/disk0s1 -setBoot -verbose (you may not do this successfullly)

step 2 leaves me with no such file in directory ;) lol i just threw those files in the root of my sata drive....

step 2 leaves me with no such file in directory :D lol i just threw those files in the root of my sata drive....

if you did this from the install dvd, then you must type:

sudo dd if=/Volumes/OSdrivenamehere/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=1 (change the bold part to the exact partition you want to activated)

I would highly recommend installing pc_efi if you can. It would fix your problem times 4

@socal swimmer

there is no point to install pc_efi if vanilla kernel cannot be used..

@jae-V

if u do it in the os x,

u just seemly replace the locations e.g. boot1h , if u see it on the desktop, just right click the file and get info,

it will tell you where the file is, so just replace the link in the terminal with that one..

so what're the difficulties did u got??

got it, thanks alot! also acronis true image 11 copies to partition perfectly for anyone else that might have this issue, so if you use acronis you will not need this guide.

i wonder if acronis can shrink the partition?

Grab drive genius, the latest is 1.5.3 i just got my hands on it and its great. Its mac software

Machine code updated.

Writing MBR at offset 0.

4) bless the partition:

u mean boot from the x86 10.5 DVD?

i m boot from DVD but the sudo command can't use...