Garageband stop working audio device

milton02

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I installed GarageBand from iLife 2006 on my MacOSX 10.4.3 8f1111a running with JaS patch on a P4 3.0Ghz SSE3 machine. I had to download the last versione of QuickTime from apple website to let garageband start up. But after I launched GarageBand, audio stop working at all. There is no error reported by the OS, if I try to play a MP3 or a Movie it seems audio is played correctly, but I can't hear anything!!!

I had already the same problem and the only solution was to reinstall the whole system.

But I do not want to do it again.

Is there anything I can do to fix the problem? I tryed to repair disk permissions with disk utility and to recache Extensions with kexkcache -k, but none of them worked.

Any advices???

Thanks in advance.

Tony

I should note that after installing iLife 06 I seem to have this problem as well. I don't have to launch Garageband. After booting, and making some sounds, whether by system or application, audio output simply gets sporadic and do not consistently generate sound.

• 1 month later...

Well it seems garageband doesn't like our audio cards. Every time you launch garage band it will set your audio card to 6 channel 44.1khz. What you need to do is open up that "Audio MIDI...." app from applications/utilities, reset your card to 2 channel 48khz. This is also more than likely why we can't open the preferences in garageband....garageband is getting confused by our sound cards. If you open garageband prefernces on an apple computer you'll see most of the things you can set are related to your sound card and MIDI.