Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA and Kalyway - SOLVED! (?)

tombo

28 posts in this topic

Hi

Separating this from the thread by TheStevo on the related (but apparently different) 775Dual mobo.

My results so far. Installation with SSE2 and Nvidia drivers and MBR EFI bootloader - apparently successful.

When the machine is booted (with -v) however the last thing I see before a reboot is something to do with TMSafetyNet (I think - it's quick!!)

So anybody with a successful install? What hoops do I need to jump thru?? Live chicken sacrifice?? Holy water?? I'll try anything once.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Just managed to get Kalyway 10.5.1 installed on my Asrock 4Core Vsta non SATA 2.

From what i can gather efi isnt well supported on non intel north and south bridges.

Installed pata(dvd) to pata(Hdd) chose non vanilla.

Azalia out,natit (geforce7600gt) and mbr.

No viarhine but theres a workaround and of course no sata but again theres a work around.

Installed pata(dvd) to pata(Hdd) chose non vanilla.

Azalia out,natit (geforce7600gt) and mbr.

No viarhine but theres a workaround and of course no sata but again theres a work around.

So when you say non-vanilla you mean SSE2??? Or do you mean deselect vanilla?

The only way I got a little further was to install over a fresh JaS 10.4.8 and deselect everything but that gave the blue screen with the mouse pointer.

It seems that your setup is quite close to mine PATA dvd PATA hdd (I'm using the slave hdd - seems ok with JaS), and I have a geforce 7300gt. I thought I'd done what you said but I just got the reboot - I'll try again after I try this install over JaS experiment and look at the logs again.

Some post somewhere said if the hdd had been for windows previous, you should wipe the hdd and start again. Did you do anything like this?

Thanks for posting,

Tom

Ok I have a solution but not quite sure why it works.

All the installing over 10.4.8 - no good.

This works (YMMV)

1. Boot Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1
  2. Open disk utility
  3. Erase the partition you are going to use WITH the security option to zero out partition
  4. Let it zero out for a while (10 min) and stop it.
  5. Quit Disk utility
  6. Install Leopard to the freshly erased partition with the following: SSE2, Azalia out, Natit (or card of your choice), nothing for Network and EFI for MBR.

Yes I know EFI is not supposed to work but imagine my surprise when it booted with sound and the intro movie!!

I then migrated everything over with the migration assistant and I guess it got the VIARhine from there. (since this is being typed from Leopard)

I think I read that the EFI likes a clean disk so I guess that's what the zeroing out does.

Well that's it - I'd change the subject to SOLVED but I can't figure out how.

Any questions - ask!!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I recentley got this mainboard because i'm moving from my old old P4 to a new system... but seems that there are lot of probs with this mainboard and efi... did you solve it? Does use an other image rather than kalyway works?

thanx all

I recentley got this mainboard because i'm moving from my old old P4 to a new system... but seems that there are lot of probs with this mainboard and efi... did you solve it? Does use an other image rather than kalyway works?

thanx all

Well as I said above, I'm using EFI with this board but to get it to work I had to 'zero out' the harddrive (well not all of it just some). I suspect that a brand new harddrive wouldn't have the problem.

On a new build, you'd have to find the ViaRhine pkg to get the ethernet going but I think everything else should be ok.....

AuthenticMac - I have and should have said that as well, thanks for the catch

Anagromataf - I used the SSE2 kernel NOT vanilla as I had no success with it whatsoever (immediate reboot) but YMMV!!

Hope this helps

hi guys,

has anyone installed leo kalyway 10.5.1 on a sata hdd? it doesn't recognise it (i have 2 80 gb sata). Does somebody know what to do? It will be very appreciated. I have both Leo and Tiger on 2 ata hdd and they work nicely. wish i could use my other 2 sata hdd !!!

Here r the instructions i found on wiki osx86, but i am bit confused as i have tried the first line in terminal, after loading the dvd kalyway installation, but it says it does not recogn the commands! And then what do they mean by, 'and add 00.......... to the string below' ? where? which one?

SATA Credit: m.muller et al

Sudo nano cd /system/library/extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/contents/info.plistLook for:

<key>VIA SATA Controller</key> <dict> <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key> <string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string> <key>Hardware Name</key> <string>8237 SATA</string> <key>IOClass</key> <string>AppleVIAATARoot</string> <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>and add 0x05911106 to the string below.

Then perform house cleaning:

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleVIAATA.kext sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleVIAATA.kext cd /System/Library sudo diskutil repairpermissions / sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache .

Sorry if i am a pain in the ass but it will be a great help, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using a asrock 4coredual-sata2 w/ati 1950pro, IDE lg dvd burner drive, and an IDE WD 80gig HD for the install drive. i have the kalyway 10.51 un patched. i've tried it by creating first a guid partition, zero write it for a bit, then just simple erase. installed with natit, azalia out, efi guid. installs fine, will only boot using -x -v, runs but no sound, no ethernet, tried viarhine with no sucess.

I've now installed the kalyway with thestevo 4.0 patch, using a mbr partition, zero'd for a bit, then simple erase. installed with thestevo 775dual-vsta checked, natit, azalia out, and efi mbr. installs fine, but still will only boot up using the -x -v command, but i do now have ethernet working reliably. my southbridge with the vt8237s chip seems to have no drivers made for teh hackintosh setup as of yet. I know some dos commands, but i'm a complete nub when it comes to linux terminal so i doubt i would get much more workign unless the easy kext install program is a decent way of installing kext files. anyway just thought i'd check in with that, maybe it could work for you with the non sata. i've gone thru the installer probably 11 times now ;) i'm running out of dvd's to watch. but at least it works enough for me to use it online, just need some sound and i'd be content running it with -x -v.

2 hours after this, added bronya's 1950 driver for 7280, 1 chicken sacrifice ,and now have it booting, with full open gl goodies, as well as sound, perhaps loading in safe boot was limiting the sound dunno, but results are now excellent, only thing needed now is to get UDMA workin and i'll be goin full steam.

• 3 weeks later...

After about half a day of trying and 6 installs and near misses, I've finally got (almost) everything working!

Here's my hardware:

Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA, E2180 @ 2.67Ghz, 2Gb Kingston RAM, Seagate 40Gb PATA, Lite-On DVD-RW, XFX 7600GT AGP

Here's how I did it:

Kalyway 10.5.1 + theSteve 4.0 patch (see here - thanks theStevo!!) - I recommend a slow burn (eg. 2x) using good dvd media! Will save you plenty of time down the track!

Erase the HDD using zero's for 5-10min. Partitioning as GUID or MBR both worked for me, though obviously make sure you select the correct EFI later on.

Make the partition active (see here - thanks Rammjet!!).

Install - I selected 775dual-vsta, and the correct EFI for the partition. Selecting NVinject or the other nvidia driver would result in a "must reboot" error at startup. I think this is because I'm using an AGP graphics card.

Wait for it to install. Reboot.

After rebooting I was greeted with a working system, but limited to 1024x768 resolution. To correct this, I downloaded the latest NVinject here (I used v33 - thanks scott!!).

I installed as normal but didn't reboot. I followed the instructions here (I'm not sure if this step is completely necessary, but I did it anyway! Thanks to gotoh for the how-to!!).

Reboot and voila! QE & CI both supported and working beautifully. My AGP card is still recognised as a PCI card, but I'm not too fussed - I'm not installing OSx to play games!!

So my to-do list currently is to get my audio running (I think I may have deactivated it in my BIOS), get UDMA for PATA working (any ideas?), hook up my SATA drives, and study for my do-or-die exams in 2 weeks!

Moral of the story - don't think about installing OSx86 if you don't have patience or you don't want to fiddle.

Sorry for the ramble guys. Just a bit excited about actually getting it working!! Hope my instructions might help out the newbies (like I was last night, when I started installing...)!

- zeffa

Zeffa,

Glad to see you got it going. I recently reinstalled with theStevo 4.0 patch and the zeroing out was still required. (in the notes from Kalyway it kinda hints that it likes a clean disk for EFI)

As for the UDMA I think if you check theStevo 4.0 thread, he's gonna release a 4.1 and I think that it will address UDMA for the 4CoreDual-VSTA. Perhaps it will help you as well??

My problem right now is that the ethernet 'goes away' after a while and I haven't been able to solve it using the hints on the other thread so tiger is the primary OS right now.

i have the same board.. but i'm still having issues...

ur instructions were great btw.. install worked fine. it finally boots and i can see the white apple screen.. but when it reaches the grey apple screen and it's spinning and spinning and spinning... it freezes..

any ideas? i can never reach the welcome screen or anything

hello,

i had installed toh_x86_9A581_rc2.iso with option erase "writing zero" ( it was very long) and this install was good for several days with DVD for booting.

Then i tried to install 2 versions: this and a 10.4.8

1. i have not found how write 1 image ?

2. I have not found how add 1 "partition" without erase all ?

Now nothing is good. I have tried to boot with differents OsX dvd'install perhaps 10 times. ..

One time, i had displayed a "boot menu" for select one of my 3 partitions and then i have start my first partition 'ToH. ..' normally.

It's not a dream ;)

3. How can i have this boot'menu again ? ?

Os X is difficult, my english too :D

Scheng924 - I think when it boots it allows you to hit F8 for boot options. Have you tried that to see what it's hanging up on??

luke_sky_walker - never had a problem with my nvidia 7300GT PCIe video card, it just works. Maybe enabling in the BIOS?? Don't know what else to recommend, I guess it depends on the videocard. I picked the 7300GT because they used them in real Macs.

ao2 - I assume you are using the 4coredual-vsta. I have used the Kalyway Leopard with great success. I never got ToH to work at all, sorry. My 10.4.8 install has the bootmenu but as I recall it wasn't automatic. A search in the section on booting multiple OS should help you.

Memory allocation error (0xdeedbeef, 0x0)

1. I had not read that f8 opens a menu of boot (as under windows). it is marvellous.

I could restarted avec with first entrance (Toh. ..) successfully.

I tried the second entrance who remained frozen.

Then the next boots, i haved the message "Memory allocation error (0xdeedbeef, 0x0)".

I have reseted the bios wtith defaults values. Then i re-linked my second disc which contains windows and it works normally.

?? it is MBR which is corrupted

?? how to correct this problem (without formatting !)

Which version of Os X for 4CoreDual-VSTA

+ Intel E2200

+ 2 x 512

+ Gigabyte 9250 -> R92128 VM F5

With Ethernet, Audio and Sata OK

Has Leopard the solidity of Tiger ? (restoration of protected images)

Where can i find what is PPf1 & PPF2 ?

What is your Os X for 4CoreDual-VSTA ? :D

Tombo,

In BIOS, enble NX and HPET table.

Hi could u or someone else please tell me where in my 4coredual Bios i can find the "enable NX" option? I'm searching my ass off but no luck.. Thanks!!