Do you have to have an awesome computer to run Leopard?

jantunes

10 posts in this topic

I've tried BrazilMac, ToH, iAtkos... Not a single computer in my house can even run the instalation discs. My computer wich has 2 years can't even boot it, and the other 3 computers (laptops) just go to the Apple swirl thing (even my friend's 2 years old computer does that...). The oldest of these laptops is one year old.

Can someone explain me this?

btw, they're all Intel (Pentium M, Pentium 4, Pentium Celeron)

You need a computer that doesn't suck.

Ok, that was mean, but in all reality, you're not telling us much, but the fact of the matter is the more your hardware deviates from Mac Hardware, the more difficult it is going to be to install it. Mac OS was never meant to run on generic hardware. Even thought iAktos is considered a white box install, its still not meant for generic hardware. Your comps likely have some unsupported chipsets or a simple part that just doesn't work. Its easy to build a comp for less then $500 that will run Leopard, doesn't mean its awesome, thats a budget computer.

I've been spoilt, because I've never tried an install on system that wasn't a Core 2 Duo (945i or P965) but in terms of power my notebook is a lowly 1.6 with a slow 533 MHz bus and small cache and it still works great. Heck, Leopard is faster and more responsive on my notebook than Vista, which came preinstalled. :thumbsup_anim:

The best thing to get is something thats a core or core2 based computer with an intel chipset so you can do EFI. You can use a Northwood or latter P4 or equivalent, but you wont be able to do the fun PC_EFI (generic kernel and most kexts that increase performance and stability). Beyond that a dual core CPU is a good idea, since Mac OS Leopard makes serious multitasking enjoyable, and a gig of ram is recommended. OS X loves memory more then raw CPU power, in part because it likes to use the video card to do most of the heavy UI lifting.

Beyond that look at the 1.5.x HCL and make sure your internet, sound, and video card is supported. Not having networking in OS X will drive you nuts. I miss my 1 gbps connection to the network since my onboard nic doesn't work, and syncing my iTunes between my macbook pro and hackintosh is slooooow.

If you cant boot the dvd then type -x at the prompt, if that doesnt work then you need to find out what hardware isnt working right. Try Tiger first.

You should start reading up on what OSx86 is and what it requires, processor requirements is like the most basic thing to know.

I'm running Tiger 10.4.11. It works great. Only problem is that I unfortunatly have a Sounmax card and I can't get it to work. The rest is working awesome.

I'll post here some of my specs:

Intel Pentium 4

nVidia G-Force 6600

Soundmax AD1800 (I'm not sure about the 1800)

Ralink linksys

Monitor is a 37' Samsung LCD

Tell me if there's need of more info about my pc. I'm too lazy to switch to XP and run Everest now...