pc_efi/vanilla work great except: rebooting

melino

15 posts in this topic

I have a great working system with ToH 10.5.1 kernel (BrazilMac installation).

I have copied this system onto another partition with pc_efi bootloader and replaced ToH kernel with vanilla kernel to test pc_efi/vanilla.

Everything works fine, Geekbench tells me no more Hackintosh.

But a little issue did came up: I can't reboot anymore.

OS X shuts itself down and the display becomes black. But that's it. No rebooting. I have to reset manually.

I used the search, but "reboot" gave me 1000x hits about installation and fixes for this...

Is my little problem a known issue?

Thx!

Melino i installed that "fix" and it fixed reboot but... i got some graphics glitches after that (screensaver glitching, the gui glitching, movies too) wich eventually led to my graphics card (msi geforce 7600 gs) totally dieing. Tested the graphics card in my other pc and yep its dead. So use that "fix" with caution.

Melino i installed that "fix" and it fixed reboot but... i got some graphics glitches after that (screensaver glitching, the gui glitching, movies too) wich eventually led to my graphics card (msi geforce 7600 gs) totally dieing. Tested the graphics card in my other pc and yep its dead. So use that "fix" with caution.

Can that file kill a graphic card? or i am misunderstanding somthing???

Cheers

Wow, A kext that kills graphic card? I have the same problem and was trying to find a fix but I'm really not sure about this fix now.... Maybe the graphic card is already dying? Was it an overclock card? Does it use a special fan control driver? My GeForce 8800 GT is factory overclocked but I've noticed that it runs very unstable at overclocked speed, and I had to down clock to stock speed. Also the fan suppose to run at different speed according to how hot the graphic card gets. If this temperature detection is not working right, the fan may not run properly thus kill the graphic card.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I wake Leopard from sleep, my mobo gives out a really long beep, the same kind of warning sound when power supply is disconnected from graphic card. Though the power supply is indeed connected, I suspect that sleep actually turned the graphic card's fan off, hence the warning beep when waking up.

All in all, some unanswered question remains.

I bought the card one month ago brand new, no overclocking or anything. It was an MSI GeForce 7600gs, has passive cooling so no fan control was needed. Before applying the patch the card ran leopard perfectly fine with Qe+Ci all worked with natit for 1 month then i patched (this fixed reboot on my mobo) and boom it dies a few hours later. I had Leo flat image installed with 5.2 efi and vanilla kernel. Evereything worked except restart and shutdown.

This is how it died exactly: I woke up my pc from sleep opened up iPhoto then screen started to glitch the mac interface goes haywire so i restart pc. Restart works. I step away from pc for 15 min and screensaver goes on i get back to pc and again see glitching all over the screen (screensaver worked fine before the "fix" for numerous of hours of standby) so i restart again but this time i get black screen even in bios. So i hold power button for 4 seconds to shutdown totaly and then start it up again and i see bios. I boot osx with -v to see if anythings wrong. No errors repported everything was fine. Osx boots normaly. I Test the screensaver and boom glitching all over again screen gets garbled to no recognition. Reboot again and again black screen from bios. POwer off doesnt help, still black screen. I open up my box and reset bios to factory. Nope still black screen. I can see Harddrive and Cpu working normaly so it all boots fine except no video output through dvi. I connect my monitor to my other pc and it works fine. I take out the Geforce 7600gs put it in my other pc to check and yep blackscreen here too on a different pc. So yes card totaly dead.

Funny thing is this sorta death happend 2 times before with win2k and xp in the past. I wud be playing a game minimize it and graphic card dies just like that. So u can never be safe hehe.

Kinobe, I think I know what happened to your card. The card is running at a higher speed than it suppose to and cooked the memory (not system memory but memory on the card). You mentioned that it's not overclocked. But I think maybe Leopard is setting its speed higher than stock speed.

My 8800 GT was doing exactly this when it's overclocked and running unstable. It would show strange graphic glitches on screen like some kind of static all over. Prolonged use in this state can kill the card by corrupting its memory.

Take off the heat sink. Use a rubber eraser to rub the memory chip on the card. Apply thermal paste and screw back the heat sink, try test the card again in window see if it can be revived. Good luck.