Installing Vista 64 bit only on a Macbook?

glassJAw

10 posts in this topic

I really tried hard on using OS X Tiger and Leopard but I can't win. I need to install Vista as my classes next semester revolve around .NET programming and running it in Parallels/VMware doesn't cut it.

Is it possible to install Vista 64 bit only and will all drivers be there? I would like to have 2 finger scrolling and the 2 fingers on the trackpad and click to activate right clicking.

Please don't tell me to sell the Macbook and buy another laptop. It has a 200 gigabyte hard drive, 2 gigs of ram, and it's scratched up so I won't get much back on it. Plus I love the size and works great with my 22 inch monitor.

Did you actually try the installation? I've found that a number of 32bit drivers will work under Vista 64... (not on a macbook, but the basic premise is the same, no?)

To be fair though, unless you've loaded up 4GB of ram into that laptop, there's NO reason I can reasonably think of for you to install 64bit vista. I mean, NONE.

ALSO, in regards to VMWare Fusion:

It will boot 64bit windows, but you REALLY don't want to load up VMWare tools (which include, amongst other drivers, Graphics Support) which bork you native Graphics Drivers and, thus, any native boot you might attempt later.