Help with Hyperthreading

Hyper X

13 posts in this topic

I am running a Prescott 2.8 GHZ SSE3 HT processor on an Intel 875PBZ motherboard.

I am running Leopard 10.5.1 with TOH 9.1 Kernel on PCEFI v8.0

When HT is set to off or cpus=1 it boots fine. But with HT enabled I get a Kernel Panic.

Can anyone help? Sorry about the sloppy writing. I broke my right wrist :/

you get the panic screen no prob, boot up your computer repetitively pressing F8 till you get a black screen waiting for you to type something type in -legacy and no more panic but u need to do this all the time you boot ur comp to auto boot u need uphuck Tiger install disk to get the apple.boot or something like that to get outoboot

Why not just turn HTT off? It's not that great anyway. On my old P4 box(still in sig at the top), I had it on for a while, but then turned it off since there was basically no performance gain that I noticed.

sorry, i can't help you with your problem, i have the same problem, but how did you get PCEFI working?

I followed this guide. It worked well!

you get the panic screen no prob, boot up your computer repetitively pressing F8 till you get a black screen waiting for you to type something type in -legacy and no more panic but u need to do this all the time you boot ur comp to auto boot u need uphuck Tiger install disk to get the apple.boot or something like that to get outoboot

-legacy doesn't help one way or another. It seems unneeded.

Why not just turn HTT off? It's not that great anyway. On my old P4 box(still in sig at the top), I had it on for a while, but then turned it off since there was basically no performance gain that I noticed.

Other people have said it works well. I could leave it off but it's not a 100% till those last few issues get fixed :blink:

I am running a Prescott 2.8 GHZ SSE3 HT processor on an Intel 875PBZ motherboard.

I am running Leopard 10.5.1 with TOH 9.1 Kernel on PCEFI v8.0

When HT is set to off or cpus=1 it boots fine. But with HT enabled I get a Kernel Panic.

Can anyone help? Sorry about the sloppy writing. I broke my right wrist :/

Are you using the vanilla kernel? After I upgraded to 10.5.1 on my 3.0HT I had so many issues I freaking just went back to 10.5.0. Try the mach_sleep ToH kernel.

Or, disable it in bios. Even if you are "threading" to two CPUs, you still really have only one processing core.

HT is not so much about speed, but stability and maximizing the CPU.

Frankly, I'd have to think that OS X does a good job on its own, assuming you'd rather stick to the vanilla kernel. You may also need to delete that IntelCPUManagement kext that was likely re-installed in your system. Try that first if its in there...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, I had to disable Hyperthreading on my P4 3ghz HT because otherwise it stutters badly. (Intel 945GTP motherboard) But it's working perfectly on my friend's rig, which uses a Foxconn p4m800 motherboard.

I will try the OSX86 scene guide to get it working because I believe it works faster with HT (maybe just an illusion)

BTW if anyone still cares, removing AppleIntelPowerManagement.kext allowed me to run Leopard with HyperThreading :(

I removed mine a while ago and it was still a no go :/