Quicktime is slow at playing movies?

seasurfer

8 posts in this topic

I feel that Quicktime is slow at playing movie compare to Window Media in Vista or XP, do you all have the same feeling?

If you watch movie online, esp. wma files using Quicktime (flip4mac installed) the speed is not as fast as Window Media player.

Do I need to upgrade to Quicktime Pro? Does it make a different?

Yea Windows sucks, but Quicktime is PLAIN AWFUL both on WinXP and WinVista. It is a memory hog, fullscreen is crappy and sometimes the interface is unresponsive.

If you want, turn off the Content Guide by

Edit>Preferences>Player Preferences>General tab>uncheck "Show Content Guide at Startup"

it makes startup considerably faster.

Also, I turn off the QuickTime tray, because it is useless, cluttered and memory consuming.

Guess QuickTime was not designed to primarily run on Windows and is in the same situation as Windows Media Player for Mac

QT has always seemed the fastest for me on Leo. :-/

What are your hardware specifications? Also, do you have Quartz Extreme and/or Core Image ?

2.8GHz iMac with 4GB RAM....I feel that QT on my iMac is not as fast as WMP on Vista on the same computer.

2.8GHz iMac with 4GB RAM....I feel that QT on my iMac is not as fast as WMP on Vista on the same computer.

Can you quantify this at all? Saying it feels slower than WMP doesn't really say much.

Are movies dropping frames when playing?

Are you talking about load time?

Is the problem with all video formats or specific codecs?

On a 2.8GHz iMac video should be fine without issues.

Can you quantify this at all? Saying it feels slower than WMP doesn't really say much.

Are movies dropping frames when playing?

Are you talking about load time?

Is the problem with all video formats or specific codecs?

On a 2.8GHz iMac video should be fine without issues.

I mean loading time, the loading time of QT on 10.5.1 is slower than WMP on vista. Every time I run a movie I have to wait for sometime, but with WMP, it almost instancely load up. Why? How to make it load up faster?