Which motherboard is the most compatible with Leo?

8 posts in this topic

hi I've read many threads here and sorry I'm still not sure which motherboard is the most compatible with Leo. It seems the following mobos are most recommended:

1.Gigabyte 965 DS3,

2.Gigabyte P35 DS3,

3.Asus P5B deluxe

Please let me know which one has the minimum troubles to patch here and there. I need the Lan, Audio and Firewire to work.

Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte P35 DS3P is a good motherboard according to what everyone says. It has the new P35 chipset and so it will be compatible with the new Penryn 1333MHz FSB processors. LAN, Audio, and FireWire work but IDE has some problems (if you are going to get this MoBo play it safe and get a SATA hard drive and DVD burner ;)). And also RAID doesn't work.

I've never used RAID and I don't plan on using it and I don't really care about IDE because you can get a SATA HD and DVD burner.

You can get that motherboard for about $160.

Hello la_mer

Ironically when choosing my motherboard I was stuck with the same choices. Also in my choice was the Asus P5K which also looked like a excellent board (Considering Asus being a excellent company and all). But then I took the plundge and went for the P35-DS3P mainly becuase of the 1333FSB and becuase it so easy to setup with Leopard using Social Swimmer's excellent guide.

Anyway good luck in choosing a motherboard but ^^ is my 2 cents or 1 pennie worth :D

- Suhail

Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2 is also a good motherboard thats fully working with OS X plus its super cheap ;) The ASRock Conroe 1333 is another cheap motherboard that works with OS X with 1333 FSB support. But, another choice is that if you don't care about limited processor upgradability and you don't care about shelling out $200+ for a motherboard, the Intel D975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2) motherboard works very well with Leopard and EFI.

The ASUS P5W DH Deluxe is another slightly cheaper motherboard that uses the same chipset as the Bad Axe 2 and works just as well with Leopard. But for me, I'm going with the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P. Its a mid priced motherboard (around $160), is a very good overclocker, and will support upcoming processors and works well with Leopard. Anything in the P35-DS3x series will work (P35-DS3L, P35-DS3R, P35C-DS3R)

I think Gigabyte 945GCMX-S2 seems also a good choice as many people suceeded with it. But I'm not sure the SATA disk performance with ICH7 chipset..Is it slower?

The 945GCMX isn't any slower, it is just as fast as your original choices. The only downsides are that it just cannot overclock, and doesn't support new 45nm + 1333FSB processors. Otherwise it's a great choice. Obviously if you're looking at overclocking + futureproofing go for the Gigabyte P35 DS3

If you go for a Gigabyte, you need to go for the DS3R as a minimum (either with 965 or P35) because vanilla ICH8/9 doesn't work properly in AHCI mode; only 2 of the ports are detected by OS X. If you go for any of the Gigabyte boards with ICH8-R or ICH9-R, all your SATA ports should work. Other manufacturer's boards, apparently, have problems with all the SATA ports being detected even when they use the '-R' chipset, though I've not confirmed this myself.

[sarcasm]Or yes, you could by the BA2. Apparently, it's the only motherboard in the entire universe which works in OS X properly (Strange, since my Conroe1333DVI/H, 965P-DS3, 965P-DQ6 and P35C-DS3R all seem to work fine, and even my 650i board works ok now.) Never mind the fact that it's a rip-off, overclocks like a pile of dog turd and doesn't support 45nm CPUs.[/sarcasm]