[UPDATED] Best Post-Patch... EFI vX, Fdisk, Boot Sector, Vanilla + hacked Kernel + Kexts and Boot.plist edits

sortadan

96 posts in this topic

I ran the patch successfully this time, however upon reboot I receive:

b0 error

Do I need to reinstall Leopard from Brazilmac before I run the patch again after a failed attempt at the patch? I didn't notice anything awry while the patch ran, no 'file not found' or anything seemingly odd.

My config (again):

Intel E6300

ASUS P5K-E WIFI AP (AHCI mode enabled)

Crucial Ballistix PC6400 (1024MB)

7900GS video card

I ran the patch successfully this time, however upon reboot I receive:

b0 error

Do I need to reinstall Leopard from Brazilmac before I run the patch again after a failed attempt at the patch? I didn't notice anything awry while the patch ran, no 'file not found' or anything seemingly odd.

My config (again):

Intel E6300

ASUS P5K-E WIFI AP (AHCI mode enabled)

Crucial Ballistix PC6400 (1024MB)

7900GS video card

No, you don't need to re-install if the patch didn't work. You can simply run the patch again (after you boot using the install disk obviously). Is leopard the only thing on that disk? if so, did you say yes to setting that disk as bootable (the stuff that will break if windows is on the same partition)? if not you should try that, but only if windows isn't on the same disk obviously.

No, you don't need to re-install if the patch didn't work. You can simply run the patch again (after you boot using the install disk obviously). Is leopard the only thing on that disk? if so, did you say yes to setting that disk as bootable (the stuff that will break if windows is on the same partition)? if not you should try that, but only if windows isn't on the same disk obviously.

Leopard is the only thing on the disk. Single partition. I've tried booting with the cd out and no dice, tried booting using the cd's bootloader and it doesn't detect the hd as a boot source. I did agree to setting the disk bootable and said yes to all the followup things that would ruin Windows but were necessary. I'm about to try the patch again. I'm also downloading the ToH RC2 iso to see if that'll give me better luck.

EDIT: Should I consider installing the ToH kernel from the patch?

EDIT 2: Re-ran the patch. Noticed a few things:

1) When it asks "Install master boot on /dev/disk0? Y[N]" and you select Y (as I did) it doesnt display the Y and the carriage return like most of the prompts do, however it does return "Force unmount of all volumes on disk0 was successful" ... More of an aesthetics thing than anything else (Hey we are dealing with OS X here ;))

2) Noticed odd behavior during the blessing:

Bless partition /dev/disk0s2? [Y]N Y
Blessing (device) partition /dev/disk0s2.
Device is NOT whole
NOT Apple_HFS, Apple_Boot_RAID, or Apple_Boot partition.
Could not determine partition for /dev/disk0s2
Could not determine if partition needs booter
Error while updating booter for /dev/disk0s2
IODeviceTree:/openprom not present in IORegistry. OpenFirmware not present
/dev/disk0s2 set as active boot partition

and also after the failure, I attempted to bless the install volume, although not usually needed and received:

Bless (mount) /Volumes/Leopard? Y[N] Y
Blessing (mount) /Volumes/Leopard.
Mount point for /Volumes/Leopard is /Volumes/Leopard
Mount point is '/Volumes/Leopard'
No BootX creation requested
Device IS NOT whole
NOT Apple_HFS, Apple_Boot_RAID, or Apple_Boot partition.
Could not determine partition for /dev/disk0s2
Could not determine if partition needs booter
Error while updating booter for /dev/disk0s2
/dev/disk0s2 set as active boot partition

Whew. Any ideas as to where to go with this?

...1) When it asks "Install master boot on /dev/disk0? Y[N]" and you select Y (as I did) it doesn't display the Y and the carriage return like most of the prompts do...
Oh no! It's the end of the world ;) . Yeah, I'll add a 'Y' to the script for that one on the next release...
...2) Noticed odd behavior during the blessing:
Bless partition /dev/disk0s2? [Y]N YBlessing (device) partition /dev/disk0s2.Device is NOT wholeNOT [b]Apple_HFS[/b], Apple_Boot_RAID, or Apple_Boot partition.Could not determine partition for /dev/disk0s2Could not determine if partition needs booterError while updating booter for /dev/disk0s2IODeviceTree:/openprom not present in IORegistry. OpenFirmware not present/dev/disk0s2 set as active boot partition

Whew. Any ideas as to where to go with this?

I don't know for sure, but I would expect to see something like that if the partition stuff was messed up on that disk. Did you format it as HFS+? It's also odd that it's 's2'. If it's the only thing on the disk it should be 's1'. I would recommend re-partitioning, re-formatting, and installing again...You need to make sure the partition you are installing to is formatted as Journaled BEFORE you install leopard to it. You do that with the disk utils before the install. That's my guess any how, hope it helps.
The bad axe has a efi8 -->efi7 ---> efi8 requirement, this method still needs to be used with the efivX, Fdisk, boot sector, vanilla, hacked kernel patch?Anybody done this with bad axe2?
I'm not sure what "bad axe2" is or what you mean with efi8->7->8... The script will install EFIv8 on the Leopard partition. If you (or someone) can clue me in on something that I missed that'd be cool. There's a ton of info scattered all over the forums and IRC and it's hard to keep up.

Reformatted the disk using HFS+ from the Brazilmac ISO and it's still showing up as disk0s2 .. no other partitions on the drive for sure as I re-partitioned it as GUID (it already was, but I made sure to do it again). Pretty odd I'd think as well, but I'm reinstalling as we speak and I'll give the patch another run after reinstall. Thanks for your help Dan.

Reformatted the disk using HFS+ from the Brazilmac ISO and it's still showing up as disk0s2 .. no other partitions on the drive for sure as I re-partitioned it as GUID (it already was, but I made sure to do it again). Pretty odd I'd think as well, but I'm reinstalling as we speak and I'll give the patch another run after reinstall. Thanks for your help Dan.

So I don't know about GUID disks... I didn't do it for my self as I boot windows from the same disk and windows is not compatible with GUID partitioning. I think someone else reported that the script works with their GUID drive. Sorry I can't be more help, I would try it without GUID my self...

Tried your "Combined_Post_Patch_v0.1" after installing using the ToH DVD, and again rebooting with the install DVD.

There was some unwanted behavior in Terminal, where several lines involving "bless" got skipped over.

It was as if the keyboard got stuck, and kept inputting "Y" for 2 or 3 lines.

Anyway, the result was: a continuously rebooting hard drive. So, then rebooted from the ToH DVD, and did a Repair Permissions on the install disc.

Although there were hundreds of Permission errors to repair (device drivers under Libraries/Extensions/) there was no change in the ability to boot the hard drive.

One suggestion would be to include ICH9 chipset drivers in a future version.

I used your all-in-1 post patch and it fixed my booting problems (yay no more HFS+ error if I don't have the dvd in the drive)... the problem is now I can't boot into OSX at all. If I don't have an external monitor attached... I'll get stuck at a blue screen after the apple loading wheel screen. If I do attach a monitor it will stay infinitely on the apple loading screen. I've tried searching around and am either searching for the wrong terms in order to fix this... or there is no fix yet. Booting with -x or -v gives me no new clues and I have been dancing with this problem for 2 hours now :/. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears!

I am using a HP pavilion dv6426us laptop with dual boot between Vista and OSX (same HD separate partitions).

So I don't know about GUID disks... I didn't do it for my self as I boot windows from the same disk and windows is not compatible with GUID partitioning. I think someone else reported that the script works with their GUID drive. Sorry I can't be more help, I would try it without GUID my self...

I don't know where I got the GUID idea from, maybe from another PC_EFI guide or something. I guess that's what you get when you mix medicines, I'll try it with MBR. I guess GUID isn't required? I'd like to get it working at some point as I hear the performance/stability is better. Can anyone confirm/deny? Also, assuming I use the patch and get the vanilla kernel up and running, can I still update via software update? I'll have to patch a few things for my P5K-E motherboard (There's a P5K-E patch floating around for WIFI/Sound/etc), that shouldn't damage anything right? I appreciate all the info as well as your work on the patch, you're doing great work, keep fighting the good fight.

good work!!

i'm asking... i've a nforce mobo which support hpet and acpi (650chipset) with an intel core duo cpu, can i use this patch?

this one install efi... if my system don't support the vanilla kernel i can use the toh one, but can use this patch on a guid disk?

thanks at all for support

(sorry for my english)

Edited 15.12.2007

first : thanks for macking this patch .

I got 'b0 error' too

============

I`m used one HDD with 3 Partitions (Guid)

disk0s2 Leopard ==> 40GB ==> ToH 1.5 RC2

disk0s3 Tiger ====> 15GB ==> Nothing

disk0s3 TimeMac => 25GB ==> Nothing

============

Sata ==> ACHI

i`ve fixed 'b0 error'

STEPS :

1)boot into ToH DVD .

2)reinstall pc_efi_v80

don`t 4get to copy pc_efi_v80 files into flash

deskdiskutil list

*note your disk identifier diskXsY (disk0s2 in my case, then X=0/Y=2)

diskutil unmount diskXs2

diskutil unmount diskXs3

diskutil unmount diskXs4

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX [X=0 in my case]

update

f Y [Y=2 in my case]

w

q

diskutil unmount diskXs2

diskutil unmount diskXs3

diskutil unmount diskXs4

cd /Volumes/Name od flash disk/pc_efi_v80

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v8

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/diskX bs=400 count=1

reboot

you DONE

Thanks sortadan , thats great

I used your all-in-1 post patch and it fixed my booting problems (yay no more HFS+ error if I don't have the dvd in the drive)... the problem is now I can't boot into OSX at all. If I don't have an external monitor attached... I'll get stuck at a blue screen after the apple loading wheel screen. If I do attach a monitor it will stay infinitely on the apple loading screen. I've tried searching around and am either searching for the wrong terms in order to fix this... or there is no fix yet. Booting with -x or -v gives me no new clues and I have been dancing with this problem for 2 hours now :/. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears!

I am using a HP pavilion dv6426us laptop with dual boot between Vista and OSX (same HD separate partitions).

Hy, i've encounterd the same problem patching with updated script. Blue screen and no boot up. I have Aspire 5610z. Before applying patch , my Leopard was runing, but no WiFi and Audio. I need both of them. please help me out who has the same problem and resolved it.

After continuous re-installing and re-patching I am running into the same b0 error that a few are experiencing. I am only seeing this when I have installed it under GUID, however when I do it under MBR I do not encounter this problem.

Any guidance would help a lot, thanks!

I believe its meant to be installed under MBR. I made the mistake of keeping an old GUID I had attempted with a previous patch. I will be able to test it under MBR this afternoon. Were you able to successfully boot under MBR? If so, did you run into any other problems?

It actually worked great under MBR for me, Vanilla, EFI, Updates ran great, (1.5.1 now!) currently up and running about 80%, I just need to get my ALC880 running, and I am also ordering a dell 1500 today off of Ebay. so after that I will be 90% but if anyone can help me get my alc880 running off my alienware m5550 that would be awesome

Hi,

Sticman, like you, I enjoy tuning my Dell Dimension 9200 (aka XPS 410).

You seem to have performed a relevant job with this patch regarding our devices.

Could you please help me a little?

I have succeded in installing ToH rc2 with NVinject and the sound (Sigmatel), but I have still some issues to solve :

1. My ethernet card (Intel motherboard integrated one) doesn't work => I will probably buy a Realtek one to solve that issue, any better idea ou your side

2. My core 2 duo is regonized as a core 2 solo => Is it the same for you? Do you find a solution?

3. I still hesitate regarding installing the EFI patch => Is it really better ?

4. Is it possible to add NVinject to the patch?

5. Do you have succeded in using the keyboard/mouse dongle as a bluetooth device for a phone like we can do under Vista?

6. Last point: Could you please share the kexts you use or your own modded patch?

Thx in advance

I ran the patch under MBR, everything seemed fine when it ran, no errors other than:

IORegistry

But when I reboot it starts the Darwin prompt, and asks if I want to select boot options, I've attempted to boot with -v, and with -v -x and still will not successfully boot. Runs through a bunch of startup extensions and then black screens and reboots. Any ideas on how I can get a page by page, or get it to stop at the error message?

Hi!

Mine shows:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: Dell DXP061

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

This is with the correct AppleSMBIOS.kext, you can either have it saying MAC Pro Or if you want Dell DXP061, either way it updates to 10.5.1 no problem!

The attached file should make it say What model PC instead of MacPro but it will still Update

EFI 8 run Perfect

For Sound, just added the AppleHDA.kext from Taruga's stac9227xxxxxx.zip(testing) file to get the sound working, ONLY the AppleHDA.kext you can leave the ALCinjext.kext

I dont understand the KBD/Mouse Dongle???? question?

I have a USB keyboard and mouse but my Seperate B/tooth worksfine with my Sony/e and Blackberry

My display was changed to a ASUS EN7300GS as the Patching on the ATIx1300 was shocking with NO QE/CI support!

If you want I'll mail you the few kexts i use (4 of them) just PM me with your e-mail!

SticMAN

Hi,

Sticman, like you, I enjoy tuning my Dell Dimension 9200 (aka XPS 410).

You seem to have performed a relevant job with this patch regarding our devices.

Could you please help me a little?

I have succeded in installing ToH rc2 with NVinject and the sound (Sigmatel), but I have still some issues to solve :

1. My ethernet card (Intel motherboard integrated one) doesn't work => I will probably buy a Realtek one to solve that issue, any better idea ou your side

2. My core 2 duo is regonized as a core 2 solo => Is it the same for you? Do you find a solution?

3. I still hesitate regarding installing the EFI patch => Is it really better ?

4. Is it possible to add NVinject to the patch?

5. Do you have succeded in using the keyboard/mouse dongle as a bluetooth device for a phone like we can do under Vista?

6. Last point: Could you please share the kexts you use or your own modded patch?

Thx in advance