Upgrade to 10.5.1 from 10.4.10

Teamster

6 posts in this topic

Hi, currently I am running 10.4.10. Everything works fine except wifi and audio. I want to upgrade my osx86 to 10.5.1. I am pretty new to this and here's what I've done so far.

- Burned a copy of ToH Leopard 10.5.0 RC2

How can I download the Vanilla kernel? and EFI? I keep hearing these terms but was never able to find it.

What comes next? Do I just stick the disc into my cd drive and reboot? Or is there something I must do before hand? (I prefer not to have my data wiped out) :(

Thanks guys.

Hi, currently I am running 10.4.10. Everything works fine except wifi and audio. I want to upgrade my osx86 to 10.5.1. I am pretty new to this and here's what I've done so far.

- Burned a copy of ToH Leopard 10.5.0 RC2

What comes next? Do I just stick the disc into my cd drive and reboot? Or is there something I must do before hand? (I prefer not to have my data wiped out) :)

Thanks guys.

i think you need the ''kaliway format and make hd bootable for leopard '' install disk, first boot from the kaliway disk , when you get to the menu screen you select your hd(the hd you want leopard on) and install the 1 package to your hd(again, the hd you want leopard on) then boot from the toh disk(you may need to use -x at the darwin screen to boot into toh install disk) and install as per your hardware( intel, amd ,sse2,sse3,yatta yatta yatta...) to the hd you are installing leopard on. you WILL NOT be using the disk utility to erase the hd you want to put leopard on. you are gonna go from tiger---kaliway----toh leopard.

having vanilla kernel really depends on what cpu you have. if you have c2d, cd or core solo then you can enjoy pc efi and vanilla kernel..

just install TOH as usual then see if you can boot after.. if you have the following cpus i said above then you can get pc efi from irc and put it in your computer.. after you have been able to boot, then you can upgrade to 10.5.1 via software update.. that will put the vanilla kernel to your system.. having pc efi is just like having a real mac..

hope that helps.

Yeah, my laptop has Core 2 Duo Intel processor.. Is that a good thing?

I tried installing Leopard ToH (clean install) before, but the computer wouldn't boot after install.

Is it possible for me to install leopard ToH and pcefi instead of vanilla? because i'd like to have the speedstep option.

Here's what I am wondering-

Should I follow this guide and install EFI using the method posted there? I am not sure if it will work for Tiger systems because the guide said it's mainly for Leopard (but may work on Tiger as well)

So these are the steps in my plan: (following the guide installing EFI)

Use startuptool

1. Reboot the OS X and press F8 during boot up which will take you to the Darwin loader option, select the destination OS X partition, type

kernel.patched -s (I am going to type -s instead because I have a working kernel)

2. and press enter to boot into single user mode using the old patched kernel. Type the following commands right after system loads, don’t run “mount -uw /” as it will mount the target partition on read-write mode and startupfiletools will fail. Just proceed to the EFI installation straight:

cd /iamefi

3. There are several files you can choose from, booti386, boot_v3, boot_v4(and boot_v5), booti386 is original Darwin loader and can be used to reverse the installation. The rest are various versions of efi loaders. Just use the latest here:

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v5

replace rdiskXsY with disk id you get in previous step. For example, you get disk0s2, so put rdisk0s2 here, don’t forget the leading r

You’ll get prompt like “HFS+ partition detected, write xxx bytes”, which means that the EFI loader is successfully installed(hopefully). Now type reboot and enjoy the new EFI.

So then I have EFI installed, then I continue and pop in my ToH disc and install Leopard(?)

Some advice needed :)

• 3 months later...