gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l, EIST limiting to 2.7GHz?

ConeBasherCarlo

10 posts in this topic

I have a GA-p35-ds3l and q6600 fully functional on Leopard using ToH's release. I am having a problem overclocking past 2.7 GHz. At 333 FSB, the OS boots and everything is fine but the OS shows my cpu is at 2.7GHz and benchmarks haven't improved. Has anyone ever heard of EIST limiting an overclock to 2.7GHz? I tried to disable EIST but the OS will not boot.

thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem too. The BIOS says one thing, and the OS + benchmarks say another. Its SO DUMB!!!

Well, for me it went away after I added 2GB of memory. So, I guess the only solution is to go out and buy more memory.... oh darn....

No but seriously, Try unplugging it for a while (maybe 5-15 minutes...) and see if that fixes it. Also, go through and disable every frikin option that messes with your clock speed, voltage, or performance level.

When you disable EIST, what happens? Which OS will not boot?

Does it give you error messages?

how did you install?

• 2 weeks later...
I have a GA-p35-ds3l and q6600 fully functional on Leopard using ToH's release. I am having a problem overclocking past 2.7 GHz. At 333 FSB, the OS boots and everything is fine but the OS shows my cpu is at 2.7GHz and benchmarks haven't improved. Has anyone ever heard of EIST limiting an overclock to 2.7GHz? I tried to disable EIST but the OS will not boot.

thanks for your help.

Disable EIST and the Speedstep and other things related, it hampers overclocking and is just annoying

Just as an FYI....

I have the same motherboard and processor. My Q6600 is running at 3.33GHz (370MHz FSB with 2.4 multiplier for the memory). Runs great. I have EIST and Speedstep enabled too.

I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1

Gigabyte boards can have a significant voltage drop. Best thing to do is if you have XP/Vista installed as well is to get tools like Everest to see your actual voltages. I'm running a Gigabyte P31-DS3L with a Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.8 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz, and noticed my board with dropping the voltage .5

As a result, I couldn't even run Orthos or other stress tests for more than a minute. I have to put my voltage up to 1.34 to get it to run at 1.30V, Normal voltage for that cpu is 1.325V, but 1.3 is the sweetspot that I can OC it to 3 GHz and run slightly below normal voltage.

Just keep that in mind and also make sure your RAM is running at the proper voltage. DDR2 motherboards run at 1.8V standard, alot of the performance ram runs between 1.9 and 2.2. Undervolting the ram can lead to lower overclocks, failure to post, system instabilty etc.

I have the q6600 paired with this motherboard @333x9 no problem. All bios settings are defaulted except for Native IDE and i turned off thermal control. I probably could oc higher but i have the old q6600.. pre g0 steppings.. which means it runs hot .