Possible to ~swap~ out MBPro CPU?

retroz

7 posts in this topic

Hey all -

Haven't been here for a while - due to this group, I ended up buying a MBP and wondering if its possible to swap out the CPU, even if its soldered, I could probably do it, would just need to know what CPU to update to as Apple wouldn't know, (well maybe), but would like to switch from 2.2 to 2.6 (please advise what CPU and cost).

Also, since it has been a while, what motherboard, CPU set could in theory be a Mac Pro with working GPU and same benchmarks (XBENCH?).

My old hacntosh is a Hot running duo core P4 3.0 960? That always runs with fan on.

Thanks for the tips

CPU prob uses a ball grid array and un-soldering that on would be a feat all on its own.. let alone soldering another onto the board.. thats if it would work. Plus new MBP`s use newer chipsets and the new CPUs might work but it is very risky.

CPU prob uses a ball grid array and un-soldering that on would be a feat all on its own.. let alone soldering another onto the board.. thats if it would work. Plus new MBP`s use newer chipsets and the new CPUs might work but it is very risky.

I thought the LED's were the new chipsets. When did that change? With the new Mac Book GPU?

The reason I am asking is I have a MBP three (3) months old and with the rumors of a newer MBP (12"), am wondering how soon the line will be ramped. I also have a lot of software on it (cousin works with Adobe, Apple Friends) and would like to get the best deal.

Or do you think the Penron would not make it onto the MBP's until mid 2008?

Well they just put in the santa rose chipset in the laptops, so it might be a bit longer after the release of penryn. But with the cpus being directly soldered in the logic board, I don't see any chance of it unless someone really knows how to mod and make the mac understand the cpu.

Even if you were able to swap out the CPU, it would be almost impossible to sell the old one. When Apple does come out with a faster MacBook Pro, you'd probably be better off buying the new one and selling the old one.

QFE.