ASUS P5LP-LE (HP a6120n) Installation Guide - Sleep works!

time ed

99 posts in this topic

Jedric -- nice. You should be good to go. Check your logs and test everything.

Thor667 -- You might have permissions problem

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

[password]

chmod -R 755 IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext

...and for good measure:

diskutil repairPermissions /

reboot

If that doesn't fix it, download my 8255x plugin attached at the bottom of my installation guide. Follow instructions in the guide to install.

If you still have problems, please post your complete system spec: hardware, OS, patches

Jedric -- nice. You should be good to go. Check your logs and test everything.

Thor667 -- You might have permissions problem

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

[password]

chmod -R 755 IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext

...and for good measure:

diskutil repairPermissions /

reboot

If that doesn't fix it, download my 8255x plugin attached at the bottom of my installation guide. Follow instructions in the guide to install.

If you still have problems, please post your complete system spec: hardware, OS, patches

Yap im good to go. Thanks time ed appreciate your help and the patch.

i deleted /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext and rebooted now I only have one appleIntel8255x showing in my extensions.

ok i tried both ways and it still dosnet work i noticed now when i open up safari and do the network diagnostics the ethernet point is no longer grayed out but it still doent connect. I now have the NIC in the netowrk utilities as a choice for a card but when i click on it thers no ip info.

My system specs are

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...2345&dlc=en

and mother board specs

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...2345&dlc=en

OK. Cable connected? Switch port enabled? Onboard LAN enabled in BIOS? DHCP available? Any errors in the logs?

(to check logs, open Console in Applications >Utilities. Click "Show Log List" and hightlight system.log)

Can you try opening System Preferences >Network, select the card, click advanced, and give the card an IP address for your network.

You can test with Network Utility in Applications >Utilities. Try to ping your gateway, or the iP address of your favorite website if you don't know your gateway.

I FINALLY got my onboard Intel 82562v NIC working!!

Here's what to do:

1. cd to System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/

2. Edit Info.plist and add this to string below IOPCIMatch: 0x27dc8086

3. cd back to System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

4. move or rename AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

5. remove Extensions.mkext from System/Library/

6. rebuild kext cache (kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/)

7. repair permissions, yada, yada...reboot

Viola!! Enjoy!

time ed, I rebooted my machine and I lost the NIC again.

I even did a fresh files and I can't get it to work again. The AppleIntel8255x keeps showing twice in my extensions and if I delete System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext the one in System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/Plugins does not load, I put the System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntel8255x.kext back and AppleIntel8255x showing twice on my extension.

Can you tell me why AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext needs to be renamed or moved on your steps?

8254X conflicts with 8255x.

Do this:

1. download 82562v.zip attached at the end of my guide. Extract the files.

2. sudo -s

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions/

4. rm -Rv AppleIntel8255x.kext (if you get an error "No such file", the kext is gone)

5. cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

6. mv AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext 8254X.orig

7. rm -Rv AppleIntel8255x.kext

8. cd /System/Library/

9. rm -Rv Extensions.mkext

10. reboot

11. cd back to extracted files - sudo -s

12. chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel8255x.kext

13. chmod -R 755 AppleIntel8255x.kext

14. cp -R AppleIntel8255x.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

15. open Network Panel in System Preferences. The NIC should be there. If not:

16. diskutil repairPermissions /

17. rm -Rv /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

18. reboot

That should do it....NIC should be in the Network panel when the desktop returns.

thx time ed for your help internet works now

now i just need some help getting my sound going

when i click the link to download your sound ALC888 it just open up anouther page and displays the text and it dosent ask me to save anyhting so i copy it all and open it with text editor what do i need to save it as

and also can i install updates for my mac or will that mess up anything

I guess I should repost that codec as an archive. I'll do that tonight.

In the meantime you can save it as a *plain text* file. If you have problems, check later tonight for the archive.

hi im new here.

ive finished installing but cant boot into leopard; the pc keeps on rebooting. any way to resolve this?

pc config:

asus p5l 1394

pentium d 2.66ghz

kingston 2gb 667 ram

sapphire hd2400 pro

samsung 80gb sata2 [xp installation]

seagate 250gb [partitioned into 2, formatted as mbr for leopard]

seagate 500gb

thanks.

Which distro? Kalyway? JaS? iAtkos?

Which kernel did you install?

I think you can do one of two things:

1. select options when Darwin starts and boot with -x -v "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" - see how far you get. Note any errors;

- if that doesn't work -

2. reinstall, but don't select vanilla kernel (won't work for PentiumD).

8254X conflicts with 8255x.

Do this:

1. download 82562v.zip attached at the end of my guide. Extract the files.

2. sudo -s

3. cd /System/Library/Extensions/

4. rm -Rv AppleIntel8255x.kext (if you get an error "No such file", the kext is gone)

5. cd /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

6. mv AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext 8254X.orig

7. rm -Rv AppleIntel8255x.kext

8. cd /System/Library/

9. rm -Rv Extensions.mkext

10. reboot

11. cd back to extracted files - sudo -s

12. chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel8255x.kext

13. chmod -R 755 AppleIntel8255x.kext

14. cp -R AppleIntel8255x.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

15. open Network Panel in System Preferences. The NIC should be there. If not:

16. diskutil repairPermissions /

17. rm -Rv /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

18. reboot

That should do it....NIC should be in the Network panel when the desktop returns.

Thanks time ed got it working again. :D

Im looking for the time machine patch in irc but I could not find it. Which irc did you get it from?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have the same Motherboard (P5LP-LE (Lithium) (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, LAN, IEEE-1394)) but diferent lan (Intel® PRO/100 VE), audio (Realtek ALC882/D/M @ Intel 82801GB ICH7) and procesor (DualCore Intel Pentium D 820, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)).

¿Can i use this method or my hardware isn't valid? I have used Kalyway 10.5.1 (without Vanilla) and it works, but my computer can't restart or shutdown and only recognice 4 of 8 USB, and all of this like USB 1.1 (all are 2.0).

PD: Sorry for my english, i'm from Spain :( .

My method is really for C2D stock install. PentiumD will always require a patched kernel.

You can try it. A good portion of that install guide will work for anyone.

See here for fixed kernel:

http://netkas.org/?p=57

so long as you're not planning to update to 9.2.2.

You should be able to use networking fix by adding correct device id.

In your BIOS, disable Legacy USB Support.

Your english is much better than my spanish!

Just an FYI, I did the apple update and It did not break anything. :)

Here's the list.

Quicktime v7.4.5

Digital Camera Raw compatibility v2.0

iTunes v7.62

Airport Utility v5.3.1

Front Row Update v2.1.3

Safari v3.1

Time machine and Airport Update v1.0

Security update v1.1

A newbie question: When you say "search it in IRC" or Netkas write "It's in #10.5 channel topic on irc.osx86.hu"... WHERE is supose that i have to search it? The last time that i use IRC whas in... 1999, i think :D

Back to the good ole days for you. Grab yourself a IRC client, log on to irc.osx86.hu, join channels #leopard and #10.5 and look in the channel topics...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to get my HP a1530n up and running with 10.5.2 almost 100% by searching around these excellent insanelymac forums but now I'm ready to go for my first post.

I'm using the Kalaway 10.5.1 install DVD with the Kalaway 10.5.2 update. I have installed the latest NVInstaller package which includes Netkas' shut down fix here: http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=23

Here are the full specs for my HP a1530n

P5LP-LE motherboard

3GB RAM

Onboard LAN disabled

Realtek based PCI NIC installed working out of the box (Netgear FA311v2)

Onboard Graphics disabled

NVIDIA 7300GS PCI Express Graphics Card (dual display working)

ACHI set to IDE in bios (For XP compatibility)

On board audio ALC 882 working for basic input and output with Targa's HDAPatcher 1.20

The only issues I have remaining are that sleep won't work and that USB has strange issues with the BIOS set to both Legacy Support Disabled and Enabled.

Legacy Support Disabled seems to give me better performance and all USB ports work except the USB 2.0 HUB in my dell 1704FPV LCD display won't work at all. Everything I plug directly into the ports seems to work OK but, of course, I can't get into the BIOS unless I plug in a PS/2 keyboard.

If Legacy Support is Enabled the computer will hang for about 20 seconds at boot and then once up everything including the Hub in my dell screen works. However, the the console will report the following error every second:

4/16/08 8:31:40 PM kernel USBF: 617.886 AppleUSBEHCI[0x4d03000]::UIMCheckForTimeouts - Async USBCMD and USBSTS not synched OFF (#35)

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the system working with the Legacy Support Enabled? The closest solution I found is in this post but I'm hesitant to install such an old kext in a system that's working well:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=94646

Also, any suggestions on sleep. I don't seem to get any helpful logs when it fails unfortunately. The screens go black and the drives spin down but the CPU fan will start speeding up and I must hold the power button to shut down.

Thanks in advance.

I've had the same issues with USB on my machine. Disabling legacy support gave me the best results.

With legacy support disabled, I can get in to the BIOS if needed, but I can not use my USB keyboard in Darwin. If I need to work in single-user mode, I enable legacy support, then disable it again when finished.

The error you posted is common with legacy support enabled. It usually takes a reboot or two to clear. I can't speak to the issues with your monitor, but the USBGen kext works very well if you feel you need to keep legacy support enabled.

Sleep and restart have always worked on my machine. After I got the onboard NIC working, shutdown began to work. It behaves as you describe for sleep, but if I leave the machine alone for a few minutes, it does power itself off.

Thanks for the response Time Ed.

The only thing I find strange with the monitor USB hub is that it will work fine when I have legacy support enabled (albeit with all of the kernal errors). I should probably try a different USB 2.0 hub to determine if my problem is for all hubs or only the one built into my screen.

I have disabled the onboard LAN from the BIOS because I'm using the PCI card instead. Shutdown only worked for me once I got the new Netkas kernal. I'll experiment with Sleep a bit more to see if I can get it working more reliably. Do you know if any of my issues could be related to setting ACHI to IDE?