[SOLVED] Asus P5K-VM Jmicron Woes

bubsterboo

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Ive installed Leopard on a HDD with a GUID partition, and EFI. This installation works perfectly. It's running the retail OS with the apple 10.5.1 software update.

It's installed on an IDE hdd. I'm running it right now with a ide to usb adapter. When i hook it up right to the jmicron controller on this motherboard and boot it, it says Still waiting for root device. I can see the jmicron kext load, and it shows me all the info about whats hooked up to the controller. But won't start.

Any suggestions?

Motherboard settings?

I'm lost

Thanks,

busbterboo

Looks like its trying PIO mode, have you checked jumper settings on disk and that the ide cable is ok.

If you have any SATA devices connected, be sure to set ACHI mode if you havent installed patched driver for ICH9.

This is the kext for JMicron that came with Leopard rite, not the older one that were used on Tiger?

elsler: JMicron 368 is IDE only, so there is no ACHI mode.

i had similar problems, and after i read somewhere in the osx68project wiki that drives on a jmicron won´t boot i just bought a sata drive, set the sata contoller to ahci mode, and this worked perfect. so if anyone got osx booting from a ide drive on a jmicron, please write a short howto...

elsler: i couldn't find such a setting for the jmicron controller. I'm using the latest bios on Asus's site atm.delish: Ive got a few ide cables, so il try them. I havn't messed with the jumper settings on the disk yet because i think it's already set to master (didn't think it had to be set to anything else). But il give that ago. It was the jmicron kext that came with tiger, but I tried replacing it with the patched one aswell to see if I could have better luck. Theres no other disks connected atall. Just the OS HDD.smorf: I'm worried I might have to go buy a sata disk just for this.I'll report back after i try a few things.

PROBELM SOLVED. It was just the IDE cable :) Thanks for the help!