Install without dvd (via usb drive or something)

NoSmokingBandit

4 posts in this topic

I have a pc that doesnt have a dvd drive, but i want to put osx86 on it, is there any way to install it via usb drive or anything that doesnt involve the dvd?

Edit:

While thinking about this, would it work fine if i just took the hdd out of the pc and put it in one of mine that does have a dvd drive, install tiger, then pop the drive back in the non-dvd computer? While im at it, how does using only osx work on a pc? I've dual-booted before, but never ran it with just osx. Will it load fine or do i need grub or something?

the pc i want to put tiger on will only be running osx. On my main pc i dualboot XP and Vista, but i've done the whole chain0 thing before so im familiar with that. I was thinking just popping an osx drive into my dell wouldnt work though because of the efi/bios not working together (i assume, im really a noob).

Ironically i was just about to post asking a good way to do this and i also thought of the same solution.

I've just gotten myself a Dell x300 as i was after a small lappy just for browsing at work. I was tempted by a powerbook 12" but then

i spotted a Dell x300 1.4ghz centrino with 614MB ram for 200 GBP, seemed an alright deal and it should run osx fine i think.

Let me know how you get on. My only other thought was to expand the image using diskutil on my macbook pro to the x300 hard disk in a usb caddy.

But i thought this would lead to problems as the installler would ask for certain options and with that method i wouldnt be able to choose them?

I'll find out soon i guess!