Mac OS X Leopard vs Windows Vista

36 posts in this topic

It all comes down to personal preference. I don't so how people have gotten so riled up about it. Vista is brand new, and made for higher end PC's. It has features, that when enabled could bog down a machine that isn't up to par. Which to be truthful is just progression.

My girlfriend got a computer last year for her birthday, The computer is {censored}. It has an 3.0 GHZ Celeron, a intel 950 GMA, 512 mb/s of DDR 333 ram, and a 200 GB 7200 RPM IDE HD, with vista home edition on it. The thing runs vista like {censored}, it takes a good 5 minutes to boot into vista, and 2 to 3 times as long to open an average program.

My good friend works at a place called PC laptops. He has a laptop running windows vista home, it a core 2 duo T7700, 2 GB's of DDR2 667, a GEforce 8600GT, and a 200 GB 7200 RPM SATA HD. It runs vista like a dream. Boots up in seconds, and opens most programs directly after the second click!

Now these two computers are a bit on the extreme, considering the first a really {censored} computer, and the second is well above the recommended requirements for vista but you get the picture right? Do you remember installing XP on your made for windows 98 computers??? (or better yet windows 95) It wasn't fast, it wasn't always pretty, and finding drivers was a down right pain in the ass!

It is just how windows rolls, ever since the introduction of 3.1. People hate on windows because its huge, and people always want to bring down the man. People also hate on OSX because its the underdog and they haven't had much experience with it! But truthfully both operating systems have there advantages and disadvantages, Neither one has a clear and concise victory over the other, Mainly because it all comes down to preference.

So in short stop bitching, stop arguing, and stop complaining. If you don't like it, don't use it, because to tell you the truth neither operating systems have a {censored}, and they do not care what size yours are either.

*EDIT* oh and btw im typing this to you on a macbook pro. I am partial to mac myself, but you have to give credit where credit is due.

please dont respond to robotskip any more.the more you do, the more it encourages him/her/it.this person is obviously a retard, and if you encourage this sort, they always ruin every thread they interfere with.we dont need caustic, argumentitive, opinionated fools, we need proper discussion!by the way, i wont be back to this thread to read any response that there may or may not be.please dont respond to robotskip any more.the more you do, the more it encourages him/her/it.this person is obviously a retard, and if you encourage this sort, they always ruin every thread they interfere with.we dont need caustic, argumentitive, opinionated fools, we need proper discussion!by the way, i wont be back to this thread to read any response that there may or may not be.

Uh-oh, I was called a retard (Way to go, hypocrite) by a guy who can barely grasp the English language and doesn't really know what he's talking about. What do I do now? Suicide?!

Alessandro, I would if I could comply but unfortunately I don't ever recall advertising anything for Microsoft.. I guess a hug is a no go till someone points it than.. :(

Uh-oh, I was called a retard (Way to go, hypocrite) by a guy who can barely grasp the English language

ok, STOP RIGHT THERE. this forum is used by people all over the world. quite often people are posting in a language other than their mother tongue. implying someone is stupid because they dont speak good english is UNACCEPTABLE, and if you continue to do so, you will be SEALED INSIDE AN IRON BALL and FIRED INTO THE SUN by my monkey minions.

do try to remember there are OTHER COUNTRIES and OTHER CULTURES on the {censored} planet other than the English-speaking West, otherwise you look like a narrow minded fool.

and, to be fair, ex-oficio: dont call other users a retard. no matter how much they may seem to be begging for it.

oh, and in case anyone cares, my 2 cents:

Vista is far from the tour de force it could have / should have been. It has some problems but is, for modern hardware, a reasonable (if slightly shaky) step forward for the Windows platform. personally, i dont like the eye candy much.

IMHO all of Vista's (and Microsoft's) problems derive from the legacy compatability ball-and-chain that MS are so hell bent on dragging everywhere. Apple are just better at handling transitions away from legacy technologies (RE: Fat Binaries, Classic, Rosetta, Universal Binaries). A common mistake a lot of people make is to assume Microsoft are incompetent or stupid - they have some of the smartest engineers in the world working for them, and I personally know only too well the pain of being a good software engineer who is forced to work on {censored} code. if they were freed from their legacy code and allowed to build a modern OS from scratch, I think they could give Apple and everyone else a real run for their money. (if Microsoft's upper management could curb their greed and stop putting in stupid {censored} like killswitches and genuine advantage)

on the other side of the fence...

Leopard is also not quite the beautiful OS it could have been. It has some issues - on my MBP it seems slower than Tiger, though only occasionally (and of course, sometimes its MUCH faster). I like the under-the-hood changes, but for my money, the visual aspects are disappointing (transparent menubar, 3d dock, stacks are all fairly yuck IMHO). if someone could give me Tiger's UI (yes, even the non-unified look and feel) with Leopard's under-the-hood changes, i'd be a happ[y|ier] man.

peace, out.

if they were freed from their legacy code and allowed to build a modern OS from scratch, I think they could give Apple and everyone else a real run for their money. (if Microsoft's upper management could curb their greed and stop putting in stupid {censored} like killswitches and genuine advantage)

I believe that too.

ok, STOP RIGHT THERE. this forum is used by people all over the world. quite often people are posting in a language other than their mother tongue. implying someone is stupid because they dont speak good english is UNACCEPTABLE, and if you continue to do so, you will be SEALED INSIDE AN IRON BALL and FIRED INTO THE SUN by my monkey minions.

do try to remember there are OTHER COUNTRIES and OTHER CULTURES on the {censored} planet other than the English-speaking West, otherwise you look like a narrow minded fool.

and, to be fair, ex-oficio: dont call other users a retard. no matter how much they may seem to be begging for it.

oh, and in case anyone cares, my 2 cents:

My comment was obviously sarcastic, obviously light hearted, and obviously not taking the situation seriously, at all. Well, I guess now would be a fun time to poit out that I never implied the person was stupid (No matter how much he seemed to be begging for it), like I just said I was making fun of someone calling me a retard and who also put forward such a silly, hypocritical and inane 'point' - the broken English comment was all part of my mocking being made fun of. To tell you the truth though, the punishment you described has me piqued since I've on many occasions used '.. thrown into the Sun ..' in some regard. :unsure:

Thanks for the lack of bias, too, Moderator and seemingly purposefully cutting off my post to remove the rest of the joke to try and frame my post in a light it was obviously (Fun word, eh?) intended to be seen as. :):(

<3

Also, what's with people censoring themselves or is that part of the forum software? And guys, I think we lost lostgame (No intended.. or was there? /disappears) in the abyss known as the internets, should we send a search party?

I hate Vista, is that enough? No, ok I have enough of slowness, chrashed Apps, not the third party ones but the MS ones ( IE, Control Panel), even I did not install MS Office I had enough nightmares with it. Also it looses WiFi signal or not connecting very frequently, even wired Ethernet does not detect Internet connection just local network, and all this on a modern hardware that sells with no other option than Vista, and if you dare to put a previous version, ok XP, there are no drivers for all of the components.

I don't like on Leopard that some keyboard sortcuts are different from previous, can't change, or do not know how, the size of Icons in Dock Staks, Dock Stack sometimes no longer work and need to reinstall them on the Dock. I also don't like how the Firewall settings work.

oh, and I'm a retard who can barely grasp the English language, and made fun of everyone I can just because.

My comment was obviously sarcastic, obviously light hearted, and obviously not taking the situation seriously, at all. Well, I guess now would be a fun time to poit out that I never implied the person was stupid (No matter how much he seemed to be begging for it), like I just said I was making fun of someone calling me a retard and who also put forward such a silly, hypocritical and inane 'point' - the broken English comment was all part of my mocking being made fun of. To tell you the truth though, the punishment you described has me piqued since I've on many occasions used '.. thrown into the Sun ..' in some regard. :)

Sarcasm + Internet = fail.

All I've seen from 90% of your posts are arrogance, ignorance, and over-confidence.

In my opinion, both Mac OS X Leopard and Windows Vista are very good, professional operating systems.

Both have their advantages and their disadvantages.

One of the major edges that Mac OS X has always had over Windows is the lack of a registry. How many times have I painstakingly went through Windows Registry to clean up those icky bits of registry that uninstallers and registry cleaners forgot to remove? How many times have my friend's computers been overrun by trojans who exploit the registry to cripple the system? And because of the registry, you can't delete programs by dragging them into the trash; you must use an uninstaller to remove the program AND its registry AND its random files scattered all over the place (hopefully). and in C:\Program Files\, you see these many folders full of weird-looking DLL files and other extensions and libraries and resources. In a Mac? /Applications/ is a clean list of icons. To uninstall them, drag them into the trash can.

Another major advantage that Mac OS X has over Windows is that UNIX supports more flexibility and versatility with file extensions. You can save a file without an extension and it would still be recognised. You can save a folder with a .app extension and you need only double click on the folder to run the executable inside it. Etc. Saves much clutter.

In Windows, even in Vista, sometimes if you forget to type the extension in the Save As menu, it would save a file without a file extension. How's that for usability?

That said, Mac OS X has also its drawbacks. Whereas all versions of Windows can be used only using a keyboard, all Macs need a mouse with at least one button. Whereas all newer versions of Windows with virtual keyboards etc can be used only using a mouse, all Macs need a keyboard. Good thing is that all Macs do have both of these whereas the same cannot be said for some (older) PCs.

And Mac OS X is also the odd-one-out amongst almost all major operating systems in that its "traffic light" buttons are located on its left, its Command button is where the Alt key is usually (but it does what the Ctrl key does usually in other OSs), its Control key does what the Alt key usually does on other OSs, etc.

And, undeniably, Explorer.exe has more file-browsing power than Mac OS X Leopard's finder does, including such useful features as the address bar, etc. Nevertheless, Leopard's finder has still some good stuff that Explorer doesn't have, ie, Quick Look and (the eye-candy in) Cover Flow.

That said, both operating systems are very good, and both have good programs for them. Comparing Leopard to Vista is like comparing apples with oranges (that is, if microsoft is an orange; pardon the pun). Both have professionally designed, consistent UIs (except for some icons in Vista which haven't changed since Windows 2000).

I wish that people wouldn't start anymore such provoking flamewars regarding comparisons between operating systems.

My comment was obviously sarcastic, obviously light hearted, and obviously not taking the situation seriously, at all. Well, I guess now would be a fun time to poit out that I never implied the person was stupid (No matter how much he seemed to be begging for it), like I just said I was making fun of someone calling me a retard and who also put forward such a silly, hypocritical and inane 'point' - the broken English comment was all part of my mocking being made fun of.

Riiiiiiight, so it was all a clever-clever joke and more fool us for not getting it. No, thats simply not good enough. The tone of your post was NOT 'obvious' - anything written in plain text lacks the nuance, vocal tonality and body language cues we humans use to convey when we're 'being funny'. In plain text media such as this forum, the convention is to use devices such as winking smileys to indicate when we're not being serious. Your post lacked any such thing, hence it was taken the wrong way, at least by myself, and more importantly by other users of the forum. This is why you were picked up on it.

To tell you the truth though, the punishment you described has me piqued since I've on many occasions used '.. thrown into the Sun ..' in some regard. :(

Im glad you are pleased. However, I was deadly serious. My monkey army are standing by, cocked, locked and ready to rock.

Thanks for the lack of bias, too, Moderator and seemingly purposefully cutting off my post to remove the rest of the joke to try and frame my post in a light it was obviously (Fun word, eh?) intended to be seen as. :rolleyes::(

Oh dear lord. There is no conspiracy here, stop trying to find one. So many children seem to be screaming 'bias bias!'. Basically, here's the thing. This isnt a democracy. You dont elect us mods, and while we try to be fair and impartial, we call the situation as we see it, and act on anything we see as breaking the rules, or going too far. The dude who called you a retard was told off (both here in public, and via a PM), because thats a personal attack. However, your comments (no matter how 'obviously' tongue-in-cheek you think they were) were xenophobic. So you got warned too. END OF STORY.