Resize Leopard Partition

Rufus T. Firefly

9 posts in this topic

i'm sorry for my poor english.there's a way to make you a system partition than 15 g.first,you should create 2 partitions.off course ,one should be HFS+.then,install leopard system to the HFS+ partition.at this time,your system partition should be about 15g(assuming you had installed the LEOPARD-X86-FLAT one using the dd method).it doesn't matter.open the terminal,iput the following line of command:sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" Larger disk0s1 disk0s2in the line of command,Larger will be your new created partition's name.instead the disk0s1 of the partition you want to reserve.disk0s2 is the the one that will be merged to the disk0s1.after you run the command,you will get a partition named Larger(someone told me so,but that's not the finally name of mine).you've tried the mergePartitions method? that works for me.you've tried the mergePartitions method? that works for me

• 5 weeks later...
i'm sorry for my poor english.there's a way to make you a system partition than 15 g.first,you should create 2 partitions.off course ,one should be HFS+.then,install leopard system to the HFS+ partition.at this time,your system partition should be about 15g(assuming you had installed the LEOPARD-X86-FLAT one using the dd method).it doesn't matter.open the terminal,iput the following line of command:sudo diskutil mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" Larger disk0s1 disk0s2in the line of command,Larger will be your new created partition's name.instead the disk0s1 of the partition you want to reserve.disk0s2 is the the one that will be merged to the disk0s1.after you run the command,you will get a partition named Larger(someone told me so,but that's not the finally name of mine).

I'm going to try that and see. Is there a way to mount a second partition for users ?

eg. like in linux mount /dev/sdb2 /home/username

So that the second partition is used for user's data ?

You can use drive genius to resize a partition regardless of the partition scheme (GUID or MBR). However you need a second partition to boot off of to do so.

Supposedly Drive Genius comes on a bootable CD (tiger install) but I could not get that to work.

I am looking for an alternative to drive genius as Gparted WILL NOT resize a GUID partiton & drive genius is shareware.

Looking into QTparted and parted Magic now to see if they can do it. QTparted comes with knoppix 5.1 incase you were wondering.

Looking into QTparted and parted Magic now to see if they can do it. QTparted comes with knoppix 5.1 incase you were wondering.

Looking at http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/features.en.html I can tell that QTparted wont cut it ...

I guess a Drive Genius CD is the only option...

Oh i noticed that i cannot create new partitions too. Using the disk where the flat image has been dd'ed

I guess a Drive Genius CD is the only option...

Tried with drive genius 1.5.3 and it doesn't work on a "fdisk type partition" (the partition created with the flat-image dd method).

Now I'm going to create a new partiton with cfdisk from linux and then join the two partitions....

I managed to resize my 15gb partition by following "Zuza's" instructions here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry497648

It worked perfectly.. the only word of mention was that i had to make sure i set the new larger partition to be Active for it to boot again...

but all i did was stick my PartitionMagic Live CD in and set it back to Active from there.

Now i have a 60GB partition for OSX :)

Once again.. thanks to Zuza for the instructions!

Ok I'm done as well.

My flat image installation partition is now 160 Gigs :(:P

1. I boot into a Linux installation

2. cfdisk and then created a second HFS+ partition (AF)

3. Rebooted into Leopard.

4. diskutil mergePartitions HFS+ Leopard disk0s1 disk0s2

Easy enough :D , no drive genius, no partition magic

I'm using Leopard since a day and I already love it :(