Checkboxes on Vista icons?

Ayanami

13 posts in this topic

So, I bought a brand new Gateway today @ Best Buy....

I love the thing. However, I noticed something unusual about it. It has Windows Vista Home Premium. Now, I have a box copy of Home Premium, had it since the day it came out. The copy that came with my Gateway has a feature I haven't seen before though...

There are checkboxes on the Explorer and Desktop icons. One click, there's a checkbox on the icon....

There's no real usability difference, but it's just been throwing me off. Anyone run into this yet? Was SP1 released already, and this is a new thing?

I'd post some screenshots, but I don't feel like chopping up Print Screen images in Paint right now.

Everyone says "useful", but for what exactly?

If I dealt with a large amount of images on this computer (as in upwards of a couple hundred), I would definately keep it. It's quite useful to have if you're dealing with a large amount of files. Or if you want to be absolutely sure of which files you have selected, it'd be great.

Yes, I've encountered with that new feature.

Apparently, it's so you can select multiple {censored} ( I think )

Anyways, it's pretty useless and if they add another useless function to Windows Vista I'm about to get rid of it.

Its quite useful if you dont want to hold down the control key while selecting items.