Partitoning HDD - Problem/Confusion

Mike2732

14 posts in this topic

......Please....... I just need to know if I need to partition my harddrive before hand, or after.

I don't want to start installer not knowing what to expect.

Such a simple question, I'm sure it could have been answered instead of you saying "uhm yeah, first, did you try booting the install cd, at all?"

Diskutility (included on the install disk) can not partition a drive non-destructively. If you need to change the size of partitions you'll need some other utility for that, I use the GParted Live CD. It will however let you erase an entire disk and reformat and partition it however you want.

Ah, so I will have to use a disk utility before hand...

So if I partition my harddrive in half using Norton Partition Magic, on XP, then run the MAC OSx install, I will be able to install on the newly created partition right?

Thanks for the help, get back to me as soon as you can,

Mike2732 ;)

Ah, so I will have to use a disk utility before hand...

So if I partition my harddrive in half using Norton Partition Magic, on XP, then run the MAC OSx install, I will be able to install on the newly created partition right?

Thanks for the help, get back to me as soon as you can,

Mike2732 ;)

Yeah, that'll do it. When you boot off your OSX install disk choose your language and go under Utilities at the top. You'll see a utility called "Disk Utility." Once Disk Utility loads you'll see a list of your drives and their partitions. Select the partition you want to install OS X on and click the Erase tab. You'll want to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) (which is what we call "HFS+") and give it a name like "Leopard" (since most guides assume you'll use the name "Leopard" and you can always change it later). After its been erased and formatted Mac OS Extended you'll be able to quit disk utility and it'll appear as a valid install location. :dev:

Attached is a pic of disk utility so you can take a look at what it'll look like before you get there.

post-147013-1195789657_thumb.png