Scrolling for Hackintosh's

i_am...me

65 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MrDee you could open TextEdit with su rights in terminal (sudo /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit FILE) or you just edit it with sudo nano FILE in Treminal.

Thanx guys, deleting ApplePS2Trackpad.kext did the trick :wacko: Synaptics Touchpad v6.2 and system specs as in Sig.

greetz

Hey folks, I've been looking for a way to scroll with my trackpad also. The best thing I could come up with is getting the sidescroll working if your trackpad has that on it. Two finger scrolling would be awesome, but I couldn't get it to work on my Synaptics trackpad.

Anyway, if your trackpad has the scroll bar on the side, you can try this to get it to work.

Just delete ApplePS2Trackpad.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns

Back up the kext in case.

Thank you very much. Your method works on my ASUS W7S.

I used terminal to edit /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2.kext/Plugins/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext/info.plist

I went to the line that say's <String>AppleSynapticsTouchpad</String> and Deleted the "Apple" And did the same for the last line in the paragraph<string>ApplePS2MouseDevice</string>

I don't know if this will work for others but it worked magic for Me.

I have a Compaq C500 Series (C571NR to be exact) and this worked like a charm! Thanks heXane!

I tried removing "Apple" from the file and deleting the file completely, but in both cases it screwed up my install to the point that the keyboard and mouse would not work and sometimes not boot.

Any suggestions as to why this happened?

BTW the computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-N22xx and I believe that the touchpad is an Alps (not positive though)

Could these fixes only work for Synaptic pads?

• 2 weeks later...
Just deleted mine to! Now it hang up and creating error_logs while "Resetting IOCatalouge" and just loop it...=\

Anyone else had problem with this?

Edit: Seems to work now! =)

When you start up, press enter, and for boot options: -s and press enter.

when you get a prompt to type in terminal, do sudo -s and press enter.

Then enter:

mount -uw /

from here I don't know how to help you as you deleted your file instead of backed it up. but now you can probably find a way to get the package file on a usb, mount it like you did mount -uw / (research that), then copy the file to the place you deleted.

I tried removing "Apple" from the file and deleting the file completely, but in both cases it screwed up my install to the point that the keyboard and mouse would not work and sometimes not boot.

Any suggestions as to why this happened?

BTW the computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-N22xx and I believe that the touchpad is an Alps (not positive though)

Could these fixes only work for Synaptic pads?

I would love love love did I say love to get scrolling for my Vaio VGN-110G working also. Ever since I updated to 5.3 yesterday my arrow keys and my backspace keys are very slow :(

HELP

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext did work on my HP Pavilion dv2700 series. I have even single/double tap working. Modifying the abovementioned file didn't work, though. I use Kaly10.5.2

Worked for me on my wife's Gateway MX-8738. Sweet catch!

Now I am step closer to weaning her off of Windows. Working on my son too-- he has an Acer that I have Leopard working on. Its using the vanilla kernel, and doesn't run that hot. The gateway ran too hot with the vanilla kernel so I switched to the speedstep kernel. Now it stays cooler, but I miss a working sleep. If the holy grail of a sleep + speedstep kernel is sorted out, then hackbooks will be really functional. Especially with the latest drop of NTFS-3G and FUSE.

I also wish smcfanControl was working on hackbooks. It works great on my Mac Book pro, which gets hot enough to fry an omelet. Does anyone know of any open source fan control projects (even for Linux)? If I could peek at some source, I could probably hack a fan controller together. Right now the Gateway will get up to 56C; I'd like to keep it under 50C.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you SO much!

And to all others:

Here's a little guide for what I did. I have an Asus F3Sv Notebook, but I think it's only the trackpad that matters, and that is Synaptics.

1. Give yourself read-write access to ApplePS2Controller.kext and all subfolders and -files.

Easiest way to do that is to copy it to Desktop.

2. Find ApplePS2Controller.kext → Contents → Plugins → ApplePS2Trackpad.kext → Contents → Info.plist

3. Edit the .plist so that:

<string>ApplePS2Trackpad</string>

and

<string>Apple PS/2 Trackpad</string>

becomes:

<string>PS2Trackpad</string>

and

<string>PS/2 Trackpad</string>

4. Save.

5. Move the new ApplePS2Controller.kext to /System/Library/Extensions/ and back the original up. Just in case.

6. Reboot.

7. At the point my trackpad was extremely sensitive and I went into Preferences → Keyboard and mouse and found that there was no tab which was called Trackpad.

I panicked a little (I mean.. I was just very annoyed that I had to reboot again), and I tried to click into the Mouse tab.

And guess what?!

THE TRACKPAD IS NOW RECOGNIZED AS A MOUSE!!!!!!

8. Make the adjustments you want and quit Preferences.

Now you're done and should have a working scroll-able Trackpad.

For me it seemed a little shaky and unstable, but then I realized that I had to push a little harder on the scroll-bar marked on the Trackpad.

TIP:

Try a program called Smart Scroll. It enables an iPhone-like scrolling, this grab-and-coast and soft scrolling which is so nice to look at.

Hey all, I can report that this worked for me! Good job everyone. I'd like to add that I couldn't simply move the copy into the extensions folder and get it to work. When I did that, and rebooted, I had no mouse or keyboard. I had to boot with -x and used osx86tools to install the edited kext. Thanks all.

HP 530 - Synaptics v6.3

Deleted /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext works fine, now recognized as a mouse.

Scrolling and tapping and everything works fine.