GMA900 with qe/ci

roflcopterguy

42 posts in this topic

I uninstalled MAC OS X Leopard, but for any brave souls out there who are still trying to get Leopard to work with the GMA900, has anybody tried playing videos with Chroma?

http://chromaplayer.com/

I remember when QE CI was still not perfect for our graphics card in Tiger, the same "white screen with sound" video problem was happening.. However, using Chroma, the video and sound played fine...

Well it kinda is... Movies worked fine on Tiger without QECI using Chroma's player, rather than Quicktime/MPlayer etc.

Sure it doesnt fix the QE CI, but a major turn off for using Leopard without the correct driver is because videos either playback like {censored} or dont play at all.. If Chroma works fine in Leopard, i think it could still be pretty usable as a temporary solution until a working QE CI solution is found, which apparently can be found here:

http://www.directfileaccess.com/fileaccess...eopard%20Gma900

Well, i wouldnt recommend it to be honest...

The effects of no QE/CI differ from computer to computer however..

For example, my laptop had no problem doing the Cover Flow in Finder, which some people say they cannot do.

Also, your movies might work or might not work. If they work, you may encounter sluggish performance. From what i've tested, it only works on Quicktime. VLC won't even load.

iWork doesn't work, and im assuming a few other programs wont either.

You may experience general sluggishness, though i didnt..

Trying Leopard might be a good idea to see how well it works for you.. If you do, please try the Chroma Movie Player http://chromaplayer.com/ and tell me if your movies play fine in that (full screen, fast forward etc.)... When QE CI didnt work with the GMA 900 back in 10.4.6, Chroma solved the movie playback issues..

Good luck!

Hi, I tried to install Leo4All, but I can't even get to the installer! I know it's graphics related, because all I get is a blue screen. I have tried with the paperclip trick, and when plugging in an external monitor, all I get is a "refresh rate error", and this happens on two different monitors.

Please help!

Hi, I tried to install Leo4All, but I can't even get to the installer! I know it's graphics related, because all I get is a blue screen. I have tried with the paperclip trick, and when plugging in an external monitor, all I get is a "refresh rate error", and this happens on two different monitors.

Please help!

Havent tried that one, so i wouldn't know...

I used the Kalyway 10.5.1 release..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

any progress with this guys?... I've been trying for the last few days but I can't get anywhere, and using this trick just gives me artifacts after a few mins of usage, and still doesn't enable me to do anything.

Funnily enough without this trick I can use coverflow in finder... but that's about it, if I even try and load a movie in VLC/Quicktime or Divx... they all just crash, I don't even get to hear any sound. Same for iDVD.

Also if i put a DVD in the tray (DVD-Video) it doesn't even show up in finder lol, all because of the lack of hardware acceleration.