Marvell on Leopard (10.5)

p3t3rZ

64 posts in this topic

I tried everything mentioned in this thread and i could not make my 8053 show up the ethernet...

I can't even see in the system profiler the AppleYukon2.kext loaded now.. Although there was no difference when it was there..

Please if there is someone more advanced mac user , help us out with this one.

I am getting desperate here...

Os X Masters pls heeelp!

I have an ASUS P5LD2 (old revision 1.0) with built-in Marvell 8083. My LAN used to work out out the box with Kalyway 10.5.1 but stopped working when I upgraded to Leopard 10.5.5

The strange thing is that "8053" appeared in the yukon2.kext from Apple, but there was no way of making it work, even by restoring the kext from 10.5.1 .

I made it work by downloading (from this forum) an alternate Yukon.kext made specifically for the 88E8056 and editing it back to be 8053.

Here are the steps I followed:

1) Download the patched appleyukon.kext attached to this message.

2) Delete appleyukon2.kext from your kext/ionetworkingfamily.kext/ directory

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext

3) Put appleyukon.kext in your kext/ionetworkingfamily.kext/ directory

sudo cp -R AppleYukon.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext

4) Edit appleyukon.kext to refer to your 8053 card

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Change the following fields to be like this:

<key>Yukon-88E8053</key>

<string>0x436211AB</string>

5) repair permissions & touch the kext directory

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

6) Reboot.

AppleYukon.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...

hello all,

I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.0) board. I have installed the OS X Leopard 10.5.5 IDeneb v1.3. Everything seems to be working except the NIC. I have: Marvell 8053 Gigabit LAN Controller.

I followed the above steps, but when I go here: sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist it is blank. I do not see anything in there.

what can I do?

thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Chir, Thank you for the file. It worked for me.

I have a Yukon-88E8055 and changed my <key> to Yukon-88E8055 and <string> to 436311AB.

It work a few second after I entered the last command "sudo touch /sys..."

Some things I learned that may be help full:

Use the command line don't try to copy and past with menus. When I did it didn't work when I tried copy and paste menus.

Thanks a million Chir!

After upgrading my Lifebook p1620 from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6, Ethernet stopped working.

I had to delete AppleYukon2.kext and replace with a patched AppleYukon.kext.

details:

88E8055

Dev 4363, Ven 11AB

Still have a little problem though... USB wireless adapter not working and system profiler says

"There was an error while gathering this information."

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I have an ASUS P5LD2 (old revision 1.0) with built-in Marvell 8083. My LAN used to work out out the box with Kalyway 10.5.1 but stopped working when I upgraded to Leopard 10.5.5

The strange thing is that "8053" appeared in the yukon2.kext from Apple, but there was no way of making it work, even by restoring the kext from 10.5.1 .

I made it work by downloading (from this forum) an alternate Yukon.kext made specifically for the 88E8056 and editing it back to be 8053.

Here are the steps I followed:

1) Download the patched appleyukon.kext attached to this message.

2) Delete appleyukon2.kext from your kext/ionetworkingfamily.kext/ directory

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext

3) Put appleyukon.kext in your kext/ionetworkingfamily.kext/ directory

sudo cp -R AppleYukon.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext

4) Edit appleyukon.kext to refer to your 8053 card

sudo nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Change the following fields to be like this:

<key>Yukon-88E8053</key>

<string>0x436211AB</string>

5) repair permissions & touch the kext directory

sudo rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

6) Reboot.

I followed these rules exactly, but it doesn't work on my ASUS A8V-E deluxe. The card detects properly, but it says that the cable is disconnected, even when it's not. No luck here.