Vanilla kernel vs. ToH kernel

BoBo

14 posts in this topic

AFAIK with some PCs vanilla Kernel is not giving the ability to Sleep or SpeedStep, ToH Kernels have this two flavors.

I am running Vanilla kernel and PCEFI 51 with the new AppleSMBIOS.kext. I can fully sleep on my ECS 945GZT-M motherboard. I have a pentium Dual-Core (not a pentium D but the E2160 monicker).

Here is the main difference. It all boils down to whether you are using PCEFI or not. With PCEFI, you are able to run vanilla on the newest Celerons, Core2, Core, or Pentium Dual-Core (not the PentiumD but the E21xx series) . This pretty much means you can usually safely upgrade your OS without waiting for patches... At this time. Apple could change this in future updates. You are running the closest to a traditional mac platform as well. With Vanilla kernel you also get the full 64bit if your cpu has that capability.

If you are running PCEFI on older Pentium, Pentium Extreme, Pentium HT, Pentium D's then you want to run the ToH kernel for compatibility with SSE2, EM64T etc.

There is still much more I could go into but the best place to research all this is on Netkas's site. http://www.netkas.org. He has more information about the subtle differences between the two.

To me, it's also a generation thing. Older systems, AMD's or other non-generic systems use ToH, the ones that are closest to Intel specs or Apple specs, use Vanilla.

Out of curiosity, how do I check if speedstep is working?

Well the method I used was running XBench.

on my Dell

With 800mhz it gave me a low number, then at 1200mhz it gave a medium value, and at 1800mhz it gave the full number.

I didn´t tried on my AMD yet, but I rather prefer to get proper Sleep than SpeedStep (or cool&quiet) on my rigs.

on my Dell With 800mhz it gave me a low number, then at 1200mhz it gave a medium value, and at 1800mhz it gave the full number.
hm? Where do you set xxx MHz? I seem 2 b missing up on something .. :)

Hacked kernel strips out the ppc code portion... :D

Thx for yr info., now I better using hacked kernel than vanilla one, bcoz vanilla just run only in cus=1 of my system.

The only one is my waking function did not works even I using sleep kernel from irc (#10.5).

hm? Where do you set xxx MHz? I seem 2 b missing up on something .. -_-

In the SpeedStep App Menu, see:

Picture_1.png

I think the Mhz is different for everyone, I mean, depends on what processor you have, I gues on 2.4Ghz it has 2400, 1600, and 1000.

No, you get me wrong, for speedstep there is a whole package for 10.5.1 in osx86scene forum, it have kernel, applesmbios, acpithrottle, speedstep, thw whole enchilada, I mean, all you need.

Normally I run with the vanilla kernel, just for testing purpose I put the ToH speedstep kernel and the necessary kexts.

But I prefer to get proper sleep than speedstep, of course this is gonna happen when I get QE/CI on my display/graphic card.