CPU reported incorrectly

basic

17 posts in this topic

I'm more than happy with the install I have of leopard. Everything is running great:

OSX 10.5 (ToH RC2)

Intel C2D E6600

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6

Nvidia 8800GTS

ACL 888D azalia audio

--

The problem I'm having is with detecting my dual core cpu. OSX is detecting my CPU as a Core 2 Solo with 2mb of l2 cache, when really it's a Core 2 Duo with 4mb l2 cache -- it seems like the second core isn't being detected.

If anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

No need to worry, Leopard is still using both cores. The AppleSMBIOS.kext you have installed is simply not reporting the correct CPU. I had the same issue when I installed with ToH. But I have a utility called iStat Menus installed, a hardware/systems monitor. It shows activity on both CPU cores. You can also use the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor to confirm that you have two cores detected.

When I installed the PC_EFI bootloader, the package came with a newer AppleSMBIOS.kext. When I installed that kext, "About this Mac" correctly reported my CPU as a Core 2 Duo, rather than a Core 2 Solo.

No need to worry, Leopard is still using both cores. The AppleSMBIOS.kext you have installed is simply not reporting the correct CPU. I had the same issue when I installed with ToH. But I have a utility called iStat Menus installed, a hardware/systems monitor. It shows activity on both CPU cores. You can also use the /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor to confirm that you have two cores detected.

When I installed the PC_EFI bootloader, the package came with a newer AppleSMBIOS.kext. When I installed that kext, "About this Mac" correctly reported my CPU as a Core 2 Duo, rather than a Core 2 Solo.

I'd be interested in getting it to correctly report my CPU. It's good to know that it's still using both cores :(.

Zoomie, can you link me to the updated .kext, or the PC_EFI bootloader?

On another note, is the PC_EFI bootloader worth using with the ToH release?

I'd be interested in getting it to correctly report my CPU. It's good to know that it's still using both cores :).

Zoomie, can you link me to the updated .kext, or the PC_EFI bootloader?

On another note, is the PC_EFI bootloader worth using with the ToH release?

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/734/howt...-in-hackintosh/

With the EFI bootloader, you're able to use unmodified stock kernels from Apple, thus simplifying updates. So yes, it is worth it.

As said before, it was showing core solo in the "about this mac", but it's using both cores. So, you can change it to be more accurate. =] Or just change it just to mess around with it. I never said it would increase any type of performance though either.

So i tried updating the kext and it's still reporting my e6600 as a core 2 solo with 2mb l2 cache.

I used the following procedure:

sudo cp -R ~/AppleSMBIOS.kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

is this wrong?

After no result using my above method, I tried deleting the original AppleSMBIOS.kext and replacing with the new one. This caused the boot cache to be updated when i rebooted. Upon reboot, the system would hang after loading the kernel, not loading finder, rendering my install useless. I restored the original AppleSMBIOS.kext and it booted back up okay.

Is EFI required for this new SMBIOS to work?

So I decided to install the EFI bootloader last night and it fixed my problem with the Core 2 Duo being reported incorrectly, but i'm also running 10.5.1 now too so I don't know how reliable my information is.

However, throughout the process, any time i tried installing the AppleSMBIOS.kext the system would hang. Replacing with the original AppleSMBIOS.kext fixed the problem.

I think that installing the dsmos.kext was actually what fixed the reporting, can anyone confirm this?

Download the http://www.digitmemo.com/files/pc_efi_v51.zip and extract it
sudo cp -R ~/Desktop/pc_efi_v51/dsmos.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext
sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
Reboot!

Can any of you that are having the problem confirm that this fixes it?