The new iMac keyboard feels completely horrible!

Detosx

6 posts in this topic

I have used some poor keyboards in my time but the new iMac one, if you're a touch typist, is a tactile nightmare. How to describe the sensation? Imagine you're a tap dancer - the instant your shoe strikes the floor it makes a sound, right? Now imagine instead that the instant your shoe strikes the ground... there is a slight delay. That would throw you off a little, right? My metaphor is not a good one because you would need to swap 'sound' with 'feel', the delay feel of the keys threw off my timing. I am a huge Mac fan but, in this user's opinion, this is not Apple's finest hour. Try before you buy! And if by wonderful happenstance you buy an iMac, you might want to change the keyboard for the old iMac one or an equally decent beige PC one!

I know what you are talking about. I can't quite make up my mind about as well. I like the 'Laptop style' key travel but there is something strange about the tactile feedback. I wonder if I'd ever get used to it.

The other thing I really dislike about it is the lack of a keypad and cursor keys if you go for the bluetooth version. What were they thinking there?

i've been considering one of these keyboards for a while, i have the older wireless bluetooth one, and although its a good keyboard it doesn't come close to the Microsoft natural for comfort and speed. I still like it though i just cant type as fast or i find i have to think about what I'm typing, when i just automatically type with the M$ one

i did try the new flat keyboard in the apple store just for comparing against the current one i have. I thought it felt very similar.

i've been considering one of these keyboards for a while, i have the older wireless bluetooth one, and although its a good keyboard it doesn't come close to the Microsoft natural for comfort and speed. I still like it though i just cant type as fast or i find i have to think about what I'm typing, when i just automatically type with the M$ one

i did try the new flat keyboard in the apple store just for comparing against the current one i have. I thought it felt very similar.

. . well, the new keyboards are very similar in feel to your MacBook Pro keyboard . . I don't touchtype, but find the bluetooth version perfect for my purposes [i use it often in preference to the remote to control Front Row], & non-tiring to type on for long periods.

I know what you are talking about. I can't quite make up my mind about as well. I like the 'Laptop style' key travel but there is something strange about the tactile feedback. I wonder if I'd ever get used to it.

The other thing I really dislike about it is the lack of a keypad and cursor keys if you go for the bluetooth version. What were they thinking there?

the bluetooth version does have cursor keys