Building a REAL Mac Pro

8 posts in this topic

I found a site selling mac pro boards for $499 they also have the video card for $199 and the ram riser cards for $89. I then found a site that sells the power supply for $299. The cpu is around $250. finally 6 gigs of ram for $300. The big issue I have is a case. I can find bare mac pro cases for 89 bucks but they dont have anything inside. There is also a site selling the complete case minus the powersupply for $499. I need to get that cost down to make this a practical build. Can I rig the mac pro board into a g5 case? would it work in a pc server case ?

I am going with a single 1.6 ghz xeon to save money they are around 200 bucks. Apple doesn't have a machine that runs that low currently. I am also using my own hard drive. The rest of the specs break down like this$499 for the logic board$89 for a single riser card (not getting the second one to save money)Mac flashing my radeon x1600 with the mac rom from the original mac pro card30 for a asus sata dvd burner x2 so $60$299 for the powersupply at welovemacs.comram is coming macsales unsure on how much I am getting15-20 for the front panel (powerbutton) and usb from mac pro10 for front panel cablesThen I need a caseWelovemacs has the enclosure for 499 I believe that comes with everything all the fans and cables etc but thats to much. Bare mac pro and g5 cases run under 100 on ebay I could rig up the fans and the bracketsI believe the motherboard will have sensor cables on the ram and harddrives. They cost a damn fortune 39 a pop so I need to figure a way around them.After reading up on this more I discovered that apples mac pro board requires a extended BTX case. They run around the same cost at least with in $200 on the actually enclosure on we love macs. This damn project doesn't seem cost effective now. Maybe the best thing to do is wait for a mac pro with a blown motherboard to come on the market.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking to spend the least amount of money, just build your own and use pc efi. Just get a good board. I headr bad axe is really good. Just put that in a g5 case and presto. @ Alessandro, theoretically yes, but thats a gamble on good parts for both of you. Also Alessandero, it might be easier to link to the opensuse torrent file, the one from their site. Just making it look more legal.

Also Alessandero, it might be easier to link to the opensuse torrent file, the one from their site. Just making it look more legal.

skyhighmac,

There is nothing illegal about those torrents. SUSE has always been very active in fighting what was illegal. That is, making a profit from their commercial offering. But any form of non-profit sharing has always been allowed:

Is this legal?:

I've spoken to SUSE directly and was told that it is. I also have a brief written statement from SUSE which states verbatim "there's nothing in the EULA that forbids a torrent."