iBook on eBay...

PsychoSync

6 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm looking for a cheap iBook to fiddle with. While browsing on eBay, i came across an iBook with a non-working screen, here is what the guy says: "the book have no video the 14 inch display is black now u can hear it working but you can not see a thing When you hit the bright key you no when you are max out because you get the peep same with sound"

Does that look like an easy repair? What could the problem (most probably) be?

Thanks for any tips.

ibooks were notorious for having bad GPUs on the logic boards. The heating and cooling stress of powering the system on and off causes the solder between the logicboard and the GPU to crack over time. I know...I have one sitting at home that I sent to be repaired unsuccessfully (reballing was supposed to correct he issue). My system boots up, you can hear the apple boot up, it loads into OSX 10.4.10 without issue...apart from you can't see it... That ibook on ebay probably has a faulty GPU connection with the board also, it's not likely to be the LCD itself, they tend to be reliable. You can google all the 'shim' techniques to fix it which is super low tech fix but in the end it'll fail, it's just temporary. Even reballing is a hit or miss proposition.

Likely problem: faulty logicboard/GPU solder joint....solution new logic board

suggestion: save your money for something else

Sorry this isn't the best of impressions but it's based on my ibook experience...see my ibook specs in my sig