BCM 5755/5780 ( 167B ) Bring System Break

neorm

10 posts in this topic

I modify AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext in my OS X.

After I restart, network is ok, but about one minute latter, my system become so strange and slow, mouse become slow and click once become many times, and if i type one character, it become many same characters.

Then I restart my computer, system will report AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext is not correct and need to reinstall.

I refer to many methods about how to install BCM57XX, and try to install it, but if I install OK, my system always become uncontrollable.

My Computer is IBM 8086 A16, my network card is BCM 5755/5780 (167B).

Any kind body have good idea for this situation?

i have very similar problems with my onboard nic using viarhine driver :(

I disabled it, and deleted viarhine.kext then tried a few other nics, 3c905-tx, 3c905b-tx & a netgear card with a broadcom chip. No luck with any of them. Hope you get it sorted

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm a bit curious on how you got that broadcom working. I have a bcm5754 (167a). It is detected with that device id, but I can't set the mac address to anything different then the zero's. In the /var/log/system.log I always see a few lines:

wakeUp - reset adapter failed

enable - failed

I've found an old topic that said something about WinXP setting some register values in the NIC that OS X couldn't cope with. I followed that advice but had no luck.

I'm running on uphuck's 10.4.9 1.4i R3 DVD on a Dell Optiplex 745 and a GeForce 6200 TurboCache (PCI-e).

thanks in advance,

B.r.

D.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
one got that bcm5755 working?

a running kext whould be fine. (atm i am running ideneb 10.5.5 but testing different distributions of osx86 10.5.X now)

please help!

TIA

hello there,

i have similar problem with an Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo. The onboard controler is an BCM 5755 dev id 167b with a modified AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext i have seen that the network card will be detected, also with the right mac adress. but the system is coming instable. sometimes it will com to kernal panic while booting. sometimes i will do something with netcard and system will freeze. it is possible to configure the card with dhcp. ping to card ip itself works. but no other adress is pinging back... :) has anybody there this card working stable?

I have also tested the buildin driver vor bcm5701 in ideneb 10.5.5 but there is the same trouble. Also there is no mac adress with this kext. a manual add with "ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx..." will not work.

really need help

thx Szifu

• 7 months later...
I modify AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext in my OS X.

After I restart, network is ok, but about one minute latter, my system become so strange and slow, mouse become slow and click once become many times, and if i type one character, it become many same characters.

Then I restart my computer, system will report AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext is not correct and need to reinstall.

I refer to many methods about how to install BCM57XX, and try to install it, but if I install OK, my system always become uncontrollable.

My Computer is IBM 8086 A16, my network card is BCM 5755/5780 (167B).

Any kind body have good idea for this situation?

Hi Guys, I know this post is quite old but I'd like to post the modified kext file for a BCM5755-167b used on FSC esprimo tower.

See attachement.

Installation:

- delete your previous kext file in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751.kext

- install the attachment with ktext helper b7, and select kext permissions

- open a terminal

- sudo it

- and type kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

- restart via finder

- let the magic operate

You should be able to see the Mac Address, and have a DHCP IP address assigned to your network card.

See you

flowouffff.

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext_BCM5755_167b.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys, I know this post is quite old but I'd like to post the modified kext file for a BCM5755-167b used on FSC esprimo tower.

See attachement.

Installation:

- delete your previous kext file in /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751.kext

- open a terminal

- sudo it

- restart via finder

- let the magic operate

You should be able to see the Mac Address, and have a DHCP IP address assigned to your network card.

See you

flowouffff.

It works so fine for me. It detect 1000TX and get DHCP IP address assigned by the router. I have a BCM 5755 (167b) into my HP XW4400 Workstation running Leopard 10.5.8.

Just two differences:

- Installed with OSx86 tools

- Put a copy of the Kext into IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

Thank you very much flowouffff.

Can you do it for Snow Leopard?

• 1 month later...

See attachement.

Installation:

- open a terminal

- sudo it

- restart via finder

- let the magic operate

See you

flowouffff.

Hi

I have done exactly what you had said but could not run mine

I am using the same NIC (Broadcom 5755 0x14e4:0x167b) I even tried /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins folder but no improvement

My lan card is an onboard type on an Ati chipset motherboard. I have installed iDeneb 10.5.6

I should add that when I use "kextload" command OS can identify Ethernet card until next restart but even with manual IP and DNS I can not connect to network or Internet.

Please help me

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I have done exactly what you had said but could not run mine

I am using the same NIC (Broadcom 5755 0x14e4:0x167b) I even tried /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins folder but no improvement

My lan card is an onboard type on an Ati chipset motherboard. I have installed iDeneb 10.5.6

I should add that when I use "kextload" command OS can identify Ethernet card until next restart but even with manual IP and DNS I can not connect to network or Internet.

Please help me

Hi jimjavad,

Try to install the kext with "OSx86 tools" and if you have mac adress try to change velocity to 10TX full duplex in network prefences panel.

Sorry for my english and good luck.