Problems with GMA900 on Leopard

enzomusic

29 posts in this topic

Hi,

maybe everyone who has a GMA900 and wants to get CoreImage and Quartz Extreme working will have problems.

1st I tried with 3 files from my 10.4.8. I copied:

- AppleIntel915GLDriver.bundle

- AppleIntel915GA.plugin

- AppleIntel915.kext

did a chmod -R 755

a chown -R root:wheel

and then kextloaded -t them.

It went well and it loaded. But it has not shown up in Sys-Profiler with QE supported. Even after a re-login.

So I copied the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, and set the permission like with the other files.

EDIT: I now tried to load the AppleIntel915.kext now with the old IntelFramebuffer. But it doesn't load.

While trying to post an edit with the error I got, I tried to kextunload the IntelFramebuffer, just to kextload it again. But while unloading it, it freezed my computer.

/EDIT

Well, maybe if someone has the same problem (and I guess there's a lot of you, too) just post here. Maybe a solution can be found by sharing some information. I'll play a bit now with that files and look for some more information on other boards. But first trying to let Leo boot from HD and not via DVD and the rd= switch. :)

Ah, btw. I have a patched kernel, (the one you can patch yourself, distibuted with sourcecode). Well, I have an SSE3 but no HPET and NX, so for now I'm stuck with that nice thing.

EDIT 2: Now trying an other method. Will be posting if it works, and if it does, I'll make an How-To for you.

Greetz

eNZO

Is there any way to find out if CI/QE is supported without going to the system profiler? I think SSE2 users (myself included) will find when we install (there is a thread going on in the leopard forum) the system profiler will crash.

I'm fairly certain the Zoom feature in Universal Access is QE dependent.

Okay, back again.

Well, nothing worked. I tried combining the old'n'new framebuffer.kext with the old'n'new files.

This just freezed my computer.

I tried to use the GMA950 files by editing their Info.plist's referring to my DevID and VenID.

Then permissions were set, the Extensions.mkext deleted and I rebooted the computer.

While booting in verbose it has shown some errors about the AppleIntelGMA950.kext file, but booted into the OS. Now I have some artifacts sometimes under the Apple-menu but still no CI/QE.

Then, after trying to kextload the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext I got some fancy artifacts all over my screen and it freezed. :(

Btw. You can look if you have QE/CI if you open up dashboad and activate a new widget. While appearing/dropping it on the Dashboard, there should be a water ripples effect.

My Menu-Bar at the top and the dock aren't translucent. Maybe that's an indicator, too.

Greetz

eNZO

The Diabolik patch has the same *.kext and *.bundle and *.plugin-Files, like I used.

The difference is, that it has included the OpenGL Framework from a 10.4.x version.

zhaiai tried to replace that OpelGL Framework and it freezed his computer.

Well, maybe when Apple releases Darwin 9.0 x86 source and binary with the new Kernel,

it may be, that they'll distibute the source for the gma900, too. With that it should be not very difficult to build/compile one in XCode 3, that works in harmony with leopard.

If I have new information I'll post it right here.

Btw. yeah, it'd be very nice, if somebody could upload that kexts and the opengl.framework from kalyway's dvd.

Greetz

eNZO

Well, most users here want to run 10.5. You also can, but just without QE/CI :)

Updates? Well, Apple released the source code for Darwin, but no source for the GMA900 is included there. So, no source, no compile, no run. A binary version of Darwin has not been uploaded by Apple for now, but it may follow next week. We'll see when it's out on ADC. Then the big question will be, if drivers are inside there. :/

Greetz

eNZO

No one wants to work on it because no one wants to actually use a GMA900. It's a crappy card. Throw down a few bucks (like 25) on a 7300 if you need the bells and whistles.

What about the people with laptops that can't just swap out the card?

I found an old Tiger post that took the AppleIntel915.kext and edited the Info.plist to reference the GMA950 supporting files, then "moved" the AppleIntalGMA950.kext out of Extensions. Upon reboot, Quartz Extreme now says supported however I'm not convinced it really is since it still appears sluggish as compared to my Tiger install and dropping a widget doesn't produce the ripple effect (although the widget bounces as if it should).

I found an old Tiger post that took the AppleIntel915.kext and edited the Info.plist to reference the GMA950 supporting files, then "moved" the AppleIntalGMA950.kext out of Extensions. Upon reboot, Quartz Extreme now says supported however I'm not convinced it really is since it still appears sluggish as compared to my Tiger install and dropping a widget doesn't produce the ripple effect (although the widget bounces as if it should).

If you can get front row and photo booth working then CI/QE is enabled

As suggested, I tried launching Front Row and Photo Booth. While Front Row launches (fades to black) it doesn't do much else beyond that. So that didn't work. Photo Booth launched but I didn't have any photos or see how to add any (never used it before). Guess it's back to the drawing board.

For those who want to give this a try, I'll summarize what the old post said.

Copy an existing AppleIntel915.kext file (probably from your Tiger installation) into your Leopard's /Systems/Library/Extensions directory. Edit the Info.plist file.

Under the section IOCFPlugInTypes, change the plugin file toAppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin.

Under IODVDBundleName, change the driver to AppleIntelGMA950DVDDriver.

Under IOGLBundleName, change the driver to AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.

Save.

Move the AppleIntelGMA950.kext file out of the Extensions directory (or rename) so that it doesn't get loaded. Change permissions/owners (chmod/chown) as necessary. Rebuild your kernel extensions cache (kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions) and reboot.

You should see "Core Image: Hardware Accelerated" and "Quartz Extreme: Supported" in your System Profiler though it lies. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't even open the System Profiler, crashes every time I try :)

A bit off-topic, but I guess you'd know this right? My laptop's performance is really sluggish, could this be because of the not fully functional gma900 driver?

Hope someone'll find/make a working driver for us, best of luck for him/her! By the way, is there a way to disable the 'external monitor' that's spooking around after applying the 'paper clip-trick'?

Thanks for listening :)