Will installing leopard erase all of my programs?

badlydrawn

10 posts in this topic

I am very unfamiliar with OSX, and I have had to reinstall tiger on my MBP. I was wondering, though, when I buy Leopard and install it, will it erase everything on my HD including pictures, music and programs? Or will it just UPGRADE over tiger and keep my programs and files in tact?

Thanks guys!

On Apple upgrading works great. You could also make a backup of your internal drive to an external USB drive - theres some freeware tools for that - and do a clean install on your MBP. You can use the 'migration assistent' to migrate your files, programs and settings to the new install.

But upgrading basically does the same though.

I have Tiger on my Macbook Pro rite now, but the filesystem has been corrupted..I am planning to buy leopard...so if I update over tiger will my fs be repaired(i have tried a lotta things to repaid but still stuck)..or do i need to do a clean install?

I have Tiger on my Macbook Pro rite now, but the filesystem has been corrupted..I am planning to buy leopard...so if I update over tiger will my fs be repaired(i have tried a lotta things to repaid but still stuck)..or do i need to do a clean install?

You'll need to do a clean install.

There's also the archive & install option, which gives you new system files but moves your apps and settings over to the new system. If you need a copy of anything from your tiger install that the upgrade didn't catch you'd be able to find it in the /Previous Systems/ folder.

There's also the archive & install option, which gives you new system files but moves your apps and settings over to the new system. If you need a copy of anything from your tiger install that the upgrade didn't catch you'd be able to find it in the /Previous Systems/ folder.

If the file system has been corrupted, I doubt that would work correctly. You could give it a shot, but it'd be best to do a fresh format/install.