Problems using Utorrent with VMWare Fusion

8 posts in this topic

Hi everybody!

I have problems using Utorrent in VMWare Fusion. Has anyone else experienced the same? Perhaps it is connected to port forwarding, because the speed test in Utorrent tells me that the port is not open, but I have no idea how to forward ports in VMWare :(.

Please be kind, I am relatively new on macs in general, and even newer on VMWare ;D.

• 4 weeks later...

I just figured out how. I posted instructions here on how to accomplish this because I couldn't find it anywhere else online.

Basically, ensure you're port forwarding from router to mac. Then, go to your virtual machine and get the IP address it was assigned. Edit the nat.conf file under Library -> Application Support -> VMWare Fusion -> [virtual machine] (mine was "vmnet8"). Add a line in the "IncomingTCP" section like the examples it gives to forward traffic from the port uTorrent is using to the IP address being used on the virtual machine. There is also a master file up one directory called vmware-nat.conf that would probably apply to new machines. You'll probably need to reboot after all this. Working like a charm for me!

If you need any more help, the link above is a little more detailed with screenshots. Oh, and there is also a dhcpd.conf (and vmware-dhcpd.conf) for editing some additional DHCP settings.

--Adam

I've figured up how to port forward from VMware Fusion itself:

On the VMware fusion menu, chose "Virtual Machine > Settings > Network".

On "This network adapter is connected to:" chose:

Connect directly to the physical network (Bridged)

Now your guest (Windows) OS connects directly to the router, and you can configure it for port forward as such.

• 3 months later...
I just figured out how. I posted instructions here on how to accomplish this because I couldn't find it anywhere else online.

Basically, ensure you're port forwarding from router to mac. Then, go to your virtual machine and get the IP address it was assigned. Edit the nat.conf file under Library -> Application Support -> VMWare Fusion -> [virtual machine] (mine was "vmnet8"). Add a line in the "IncomingTCP" section like the examples it gives to forward traffic from the port uTorrent is using to the IP address being used on the virtual machine. There is also a master file up one directory called vmware-nat.conf that would probably apply to new machines. You'll probably need to reboot after all this. Working like a charm for me!

If you need any more help, the link above is a little more detailed with screenshots. Oh, and there is also a dhcpd.conf (and vmware-dhcpd.conf) for editing some additional DHCP settings.

--Adam

I've figured up how to port forward from VMware Fusion itself:

On the VMware fusion menu, chose "Virtual Machine > Settings > Network".

On "This network adapter is connected to:" chose:

Connect directly to the physical network (Bridged)

Now your guest (Windows) OS connects directly to the router, and you can configure it for port forward as such.

I've tried both, any others have tried it? I haven't have any success, i'll try again, I'm curious to know others' results.