HDD Compatibility ?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Sorry if I am repeating a question. I’m new, I couldn’t find an answer.

I’ll keep it simple.

I just want to know is there specific HDD models that work best with OSx86?

I am considering buying a MAXTOR 250gig DiamondMax 21 8meg Cache SATA HardDrive Model: STM3250820AS and just wanted to confirm what HDD will work, or are HDD not an issue (i.e. all will work dependent on mobo) ?

Thank-you in advance, I am going to build it soon and will be using a P5LD2-VM mobo if that is relevant to answering the question.

Hi all,

Sorry if I am repeating a question. I'm new, I couldn't find an answer.

I'll keep it simple.

I am considering buying a MAXTOR 250gig DiamondMax 21 8meg Cache SATA HardDrive Model: STM3250820AS and just wanted to confirm what HDD will work, or are HDD not an issue (i.e. all will work dependent on mobo) ?

Thank-you in advance, I am going to build it soon and will be using a P5LD2-VM mobo if that is relevant to answering the question.

. . . due to the commonplace fitment of random HDDs into external enclosures for these fundamentally closed boxes [iMacs] - which are often used for bootable installs - AFAIK any SATA HDD will work fine.

Hi all,

Sorry if I am repeating a question. I’m new, I couldn’t find an answer.

I’ll keep it simple.

The old Macs had their limitations, for example the G4 digital audio cannot work with IDE drives larger than 120Go

no pbs with all ata and sata drives...the only thing is :

like my f***ing p5k board, will your board ask you for a AHCI ghost ????

for 945 - 965 chipset, no pbs after that...

no pbs with all ata and sata drives...the only thing is :

like my f***ing p5k board, will your board ask you for a AHCI ghost ????

for 945 - 965 chipset, no pbs after that...

Thanks all for the replies. Um ced1610 I’m not sure about if my board asks for AHCI ghost yet.

I’ve been looking around to get an Asus - P5LD2-VM board although I found a cheap Asus P5LD2-SE/C board, I haven’t found much information on this board though so I’m not sure what compatibility is like or if it is just a similar version to the P5LD2-VM board :S

The forums won’t let me search always returns

Erreur Sphinx : connection to localhost:3312 failed

Merci de contacter un Administrateur !”

Thanks everyone for the help!

Guest Snowski

I run OSX86 on the maxtor 250 GB 16mb cache 7200rpm so no worries.

I also have an install on my external USB HDD which is an 5400rpm 200GB (Seagate I think)

I don't think the HDD compability is something to worry about with osx86, well except for the PATA/SATA issue, but brand, speed, cache, size should not give any issues.

Good luck anyway lad :)